36 replies to this topic

#21 Dillinger1934

Dillinger1934

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

The album has one killer track, a few great ones and some still pretty good ones. The videos I've seen of them since they reunited has made them look a little naff nowadays, but the album is still solid.

#22 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

which album the original or the demos and rare stuff LP that came out on Drag City in 2011?  I am thinking about picking these both u[ as they sound pretty killer...  Now all I have to do is find 30 bucks in the couch :lol:

#23 Dillinger1934

Dillinger1934

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

Just the original. I never got around to the rest for some reason.

#24 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Looks like TMR's releasing tracks by these guys (or by a few of their members, anyway)

http://www.mlive.com...an_records.html

#25 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

I'm probably one of the only people in the world who think this band is just OKAY. The story about them being forgotten and rediscovered is pretty cool, but I just don't think they're that great. Definitely not as punk as the Stooges or even the MC5; I'm re-listening to the album again right this moment and feel kind of bored. In fact, I wouldn't even call it punk, or even proto-punk. It's a little wankery and more "hard rock" than anything. I don't know. I think this stuff is mediocre but every time I've said that people can't BELIEVE it.

If I'm going to listen to a bitchin' forgotten band that's been rediscovered, it's going to be Pentagram. Sorry.

#26 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

Yer not the only one. Look back one page, ha.

#27 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

Haha, right after I posted that I went back and noticed your post. Somehow I missed it when I read through the thread! Glad I'm not the only one. I just don't get it.

#28 Flizzzipper

Flizzzipper

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

They are definitely not the greatest band of all time. I will tell you that. The end of Politicians In My Mind is good.

#29 roxxan23

roxxan23

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,865 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

Looking forward to this: http://www.rollingst...-death-20130424

I recognize some of those voiceovers!

Just finished watching this (my sister is a movie critic and she was sent a link to view/review). It is a compelling story and the brothers are awesome, but in my opinion, it wasn't the best doc. There were some interesting people interviewed about the music and I wish there was more of that, but I'm not sure what else they could have had to say either. And who knew Elijah Wood founded a record label? Haha.

#30 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,394 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

Get it notarized!

Edited by mittensonfire, 06 August 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#31 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,700 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

Saw the documentary yesterday and have to agree with folks above that the music is very good and their story is moving, but neither blew my socks off.  The film kept making me think of Searching For Sugarman and the way everyone interviewed kept raving about how it was the greatest music they'd ever heard made me wonder if the really mind-blowing clips had been edited out. Did inspire me to add their Rockfire Funk Express single to my TMR wishlist for a future purchase, though, since I've been on bit of a funk kick lately.

#32 Jettkoral

Jettkoral

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

The TMR single stinks. Buy For The Whole World To See, their Lp

#33 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,700 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for the non-filtered opinion, sweetie  :)  The music in the film just didn't grab me. It was good, yes, but I didn't hear anything that made me want to rush out and buy the record.

#34 avard

avard

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

seeing them live last weekend, I wasn't all that grabbed  either.  tie me up to the tmr tree and start shooting arrows,  but its just my opinion. 

#35 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

I just don't think they were doing anything revolutionary for that time period. How many other forgotten bands are there? I said before I think it's pretty cool how they were re-discovered and all and they seem like nice dudes, but I've tried giving that LP several listens and I think it's extremely mediocre. Most certainly not life changing, at least for me. I don't understand all the "They were the first punk band!" nonsense I keep seeing mentioned in reviews and on other boards. I mean, really? More punk than the Stooges? Incorrect.

#36 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

The first time the word punk was used to describe a band and their music was in regards to the stooges. And the stooges clearly existed before death. So yeah, when I hear stupid shit like "Death was the first punk band" it just makes me want to punch the person who says it.

#37 bluesmanjoey

bluesmanjoey

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

Definitely not as punk as the stooges but I just wanted to say I really like that death album. Its just some damn good rock n roll to my ears, Every track does it for me. The drag city demos album ain't bad either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users