14 replies to this topic

#1 DeathLetter

DeathLetter

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:24 AM

So, until now Talking Heads have just never been on my radar at all. Like, I know they are a very respected and loved band from the 80s, but they just didn't register with me. And the few bits I did hear, the sound never appealed really.

Then I heard in a Radiohead interview that the band were "obsessed with the Talking Heads album Remain In Light while making Kid A."

So I thought, I'll try Remain In Light, see how that works for me. And now I have a frame of reference for getting into it, because I can see it as a precursor to some of the later Radiohead stuff.

That one tiny quote has totally opened up Talking Heads to me. Remain In Light is a fucking great album. I just wish I'd known sooner. Funny how sometimes you just need a way in.

#2 TheDuncanPrinciple

TheDuncanPrinciple

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

I don't listen to Talking Heads that much personally, but my Dad loved to strum away at his guitar playing their songs, mostly Psycho Killer. Hearing that song so much managed to burrow it's way into my brain and heart.

He always used to tell me about how I reminded him David Byrne. I still don't know how to react to that.

#3 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

jonathan demme's "stop maing sense" is one of the best concert films ever made. 

#4 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

Talking Heads were always around when I was growing up, but funnily enough, I think Radiohead also made me pay more attention to them because of the name link. I didn't know that about the Kid A sessions though. Stop Making Sense, both the film and the record are absolute must-haves, in my opinion. '77 is a favourite too.

Talking Heads is my number one band that I really wish would reform, and yet know they never will. I would love to have seen them live.

Edit: we really didn't already have a Talking Heads thread? For shame, LR! 

Edited by goodmorningspider, 21 July 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#5 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

in my opinion. '77 is a favourite too.

i've been meaning to yank that one out, probably after seeing jerry harrison's mug on the modern lovers album i listened to last week.

'77 was one of the famous four albums i bought along with a can of progresso manhattan clam chowder with my last dime (actually, i was a dime short and successfully found one on the ground). Pulled Up is amazing and as good an album-ender as any.

i first heard them on a brief shooting star of a radio station (wpix, from elvis to elvis). It was Psycho Killer and the singer sounded so nervous and off-kilter that he was very believable. and he lapsed into french. I loiked Take Me To the River but didn't buy the second album. I think i still have an old issue of Bomp with them on the cover sipping coffee in a diner booth. That's not psycho, i do that! And they sang Take me To the River on SNL. Then they released Life During Wartime with a line about having enough money to last a couple of days. But there's was that hook about This Ain't No Party, This Ain't No Disco that started burning them into America's consciousness and i wouldn't say i lost interest, i just let the rest of the world have them. I was happy for their success.

#6 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,347 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

chiming in, of the opinion that '77 is the best of their amazing albums

#7 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

uh-oh, talking heads '77 comes to my turntable.

unfortunately, i can't readily find that issue of Bomp! but it looks like this (only larger and paper):

!BdVsu2!!2k~$(KGrHqUH-D0Erf(vNVj5BK4e5UI

#8 Dillinger1934

Dillinger1934

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

I just came in here to say how amazing Stop Making Sense is too. So much better than any other straight up concert film.

Also, Tom Tom Club can still outdo bands half their age. Saw them live; gurned a lot, danced a lot, and purchased many slush puppies. Couldn't have asked for more.

#9 DeathLetter

DeathLetter

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:05 AM

77 is definitely next up then, as soon as I've finished with Remain In Light.

#10 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

I was never a fan till I saw Stop Making Sense, and then watched it pretty much every day for a week.  Wonderful stuff!!

#11 avard

avard

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

i dont have to prove that i am creative.  I DONT HAVE TO PROVE THAT I AM CREATIVE. all my pictures are confused .

im cleaning my brain.  

#12 ridetheblinds

ridetheblinds

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:29 PM

Fortunately, I was introduced to them through Fear of Music as an angst ridden 15 year old. Never been the same since.

#13 Jung Sole Rebel

Jung Sole Rebel

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:39 AM

I saw Tom Tom Club less than a month ago and can attest that they are incredible. Chris and Tina are absolutely one of the world's greatest rhythm sections and although their material isn't Talking Heads-quality, it's still very very enjoyable.

Onto the main act, and I'd put Fear of Music alongside Remain In Light as a favourite - if you're into Fripp and Eno, it's amazing to see how both of them (particularly Eno) moulded the band's sound away from the scrappy new-wave of the first two albums (neither of which I really rate, apart from one or two tracks). The difference is that they sound like a band rather than just David Byrne-plus-musicians. Even if the truth is more blurred (fair to say that Frantz + Weymouth don't like Eno and vice versa), it just sounds magnificent.

And Stop Making Sense is just a joy to see. I couldn't believe how really wonderful it was when I first saw it after years of only listening to Talking Heads and not seeing them. But it's worth hunting out clips of the band when they had Adrian Belew and Bustah Cherry Jones supplementing their ranks (don't think either are in Stop Making Sense) which is far less slick and more art. I even believe at one point Weymouth, Harrison and Frantz approached Belew about replacing Byrne, but he politely declined since he was probably looking at the King Crimson role (though that may not be chronologically correct)

I'm also an apologist for their later albums too. Naked is a bit too dense and plodding, but True Stories and Little Creatures (which are more or less band-only with scant sessioneers) are really solid and full of great songs if you can get over the 80 production values.

Also, I'd recommend never ever watching their reunion at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in 2002. It's incredibly depressing to see four musicians who made all that joyous music put on a bunch of phony smiles and supress all that resentment they've carried about for years while performing perfunctory versions of their hits. Jerry Harrison is the only one who's not pretending - he just sulks his way through the performance. Awkward. They're one of the few bands (along with The Smiths, and, um, I can't think of anyone else) who should never reunite and just preserve their legacy with a bit of dignity.

Edited by Jung Sole Rebel, 07 August 2013 - 03:52 AM.

#14 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

skip ahead to 3:35:

#15 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:23 PM

jonathan demme's "stop maing sense" is one of the best concert films ever made. 

how fun to be able to quote sunhouse. good times.

just watched this tonight. I’ve always been a fan of the band and David Byrne, but somehow missed this. art from beginning to end.
it’s free on Amazon prime now, fyi.

(also, it's 35 years old. I even saw them on this tour back in 1983ish.)

Edited by stripes42, 14 April 2019 - 09:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users