155 replies to this topic

#121 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,242 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

the majority of the shots of Patrick are from an angle behind and next to him.

he got the meg white treatment--was this directed by emmett malloy?

#122 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

While it's cool to have official live Racs on dvd, I can't give this more than a three star rating. Was anyone else bothered by the sound mix? The vocals are way too prominent, there were moments when I realized that I could barely hear the guitars below Brendan's or Jack's voice.

Really?! I was running this through my blu-ray and bose sound system and got PLENTY of guitar. If anything, the vocals were low in the mix. The only time the vocals were a bit much was Mark and LJ' backup vocals during Jack's solo on Hold Up. The guitars sound amazing on this show, probably my most favorite, stand out part. I agree that the camera work could have been slightly better at times. I completely disagree with the mix comment though. I accidentally listened to the show on 2.0, and then watched it again on the HD 5.1 and thought the mix was pretty great. That's where I've seen the most compliments from this release. Brendan's guitar is a little under Jack's throughout, but that seems like a common occurence on any video I see of the band.

#123 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,672 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

MIght've been dvd vs. blu-ray, or just my tv. But that's the way it sounded to me. Can I come watch it at your house?

Edited by Kali Durga, 22 June 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#124 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

MIght've been dvd vs. blu-ray, or just my tv. But that's the way it sounded to me. Can I come watch it at your house?

Yes, every 4th Saturday of every month is "Stranger Night" in my basement. Clothes are optional.

Okay, that doesn't really exist.

:blink:

#125 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

Thamks for the piano videos guys :wub: .

The sound sounded great at my house. You can drop by any time Kali, you must have a good bottle of merlot in hand though :P .

#126 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,672 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

The sound sounded great at my house. You can drop by any time Kali, you must have a good bottle of merlot in hand though :P .

You'll have to tell me what brand to buy, 'cause I don't drink and consequently know absolutely nothing about vintages ;)

Yes, every 4th Saturday of every month is "Stranger Night" in my basement. Clothes are optional.

Okay, that doesn't really exist.

:blink:

How many 4th Saturdays are there in a month...?

#127 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

You'll have to tell me what brand to buy, 'cause I don't drink and consequently know absolutely nothing about vintages ;)

How many 4th Saturdays are there in a month...?

As many as you want. :lol:

I'm confused. I'm sorry.

#128 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,672 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

:)

Edited by Kali Durga, 22 June 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#129 Jujube

Jujube

Icky Thump

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

Ha, shows you how much I visit the Racs section- though I would totally cream my, um, coffee over something new from them I didn't realize until I went to TMR web site that this existed. I WANT THIS! Dilemma, dilemma. Jack, if you are reading, please go save a bus full of nuns and a basket of kittens so I can justify handing you my money. It shouldn't matter but, yet... maybe I have no faith. My bad I guess.

#130 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,672 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

Aw, c'mon, this is cheap. The basket of kittens alone should make it worth it.

#131 Jujube

Jujube

Icky Thump

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

I see what you did.

#132 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,672 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

:)

#133 CodyT3212

CodyT3212

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:12 AM

Man, I started this topic and I haven't even seen it yet :( I can't even afford a ten dollar DVD! What am I going to do with myself.

#134 TheHen0

TheHen0

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

I love seeing the harmonica mic shrink back into the guitar in Blue Veins.

#135 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

Finally got a chance to watch it--a great performance, though to be honest I thought the shows last fall were better, plus we got a better Jack haircut, but on the downside we didn't get Keep It Clean. I can't comment on the mix, given that my TV/DVD player are very lo-tech, but as I don't have a big-screen TV I must admit I found myself constantly having to get closer to the screen, given the number of shots that were from the back of the hall (presumably to get the whole stage plus audience reaction). I'd rather just see the band, personally. And definitely I wanted to see more than the afore-mentioned limited shots of the Keelerific Patrick.

Having said all which, it was still great. :D It's the Racs!

#136 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,242 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

waiting for me in a shoebox-size box from best-buy. I was like, dang! how did they screw this up! No record would fit in this box! those cretinous dolts---oh, wait, dvds!

Posted Image

#137 Jujube

Jujube

Icky Thump

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

Best buy has the goods? *can't control self any longer, runs off to force best buy to take her money.*

#138 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

Best buy has the goods? *can't control self any longer, runs off to force best buy to take her money.*

No, I think they ordered it from the site. Notice the box description.

#139 Jujube

Jujube

Icky Thump

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

whew, thanks, glad I hadn't run off quite yet.

#140 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,242 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

yes, bestbuy.com

watched the DVD last night. Yeah, Patrick really got shortchanged with the camera angles. Nevermind his appeal with the ladies, he's a great musician to watch perform. He truly enjoys playing drums. He is so tuned in to his instrument and expressing his every emotion through his drumming. Individual expression yet it primarily serves the band as a whole and the song at hand. Unfortunately the DVD captures none of this.

That being said, this is a great souvenir of some ferocious Raconteuring. Jack is loud and powerful, but i do hear everyone. Brendan cuts through with his tasty tele work throughout. Sounds like a good balance overall to me, at least coming out of my SoundSticks. Mark's voice is a little too prominent at times (Hold Up!), but the dude can sing. Wonder what he sounds like solo. What impresses me about Jack is that even though he may be having some trouble vocally, he doubles the effort. He never holds back.

Edited by macwacky, 27 June 2012 - 11:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users