242 replies to this topic

#1 DougieZero

DougieZero

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

She is releasing her first solo album on TMR.

You know, I always kind of thought she was a fetish thing. She was a Jack White/Strokes superfan, kind of known around the Detroit art scene. She has been included in a lot of Third Man projects, but in kind of background blended roles. She'll play bass on a song, but so will Dominic.

I saw one of the first Black Belles performances live and stood right in front of her. I saw someone who appeared to almost still be in the learning process of the guitar. The way she strummed and tried to find notes on the fret was awkward. Her finger positions were so stretched out and looked painful. It was very, very cautious and memorized.

Edited by DougieZero, 21 August 2014 - 03:29 PM.

#2 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

It seemed awkward to me to see accomplished musicians talk about great she is. That video makes it sound like she's someone everyone should already know about, which was also strange. Her singing voice is terrible.

Edited by CaseOfThePunks, 21 August 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#3 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

I was kind of wondering what became of her. she was all over third man and then nowhere.

#4 DougieZero

DougieZero

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

It was a testimonial video for sure... haha... I don't mean to be so negative, but I only posted after seeing that video. I guess maybe it was a parody? She is portrayed as this all purpose musician, but I don't think she is... She is like this TMR pet project. She is featured in music videos, singing and playing parts she never recorded. I just hope the best part of the record isn't the cover...

Edited by DougieZero, 21 August 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#5 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

watch out, Ben is about to shit on LR yet again in next chat  :ph34r:

#6 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

I've never been a fan of her voice. I'll listen to the album before I bash it though. I'm not going to buy it without hearing much of it.

#7 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

i'll be interested to check this out. i like a lot of things about Olivia, but i havent been completely sold on her stuff yet. i feel like theres something great in her, I believe she's perfectly capable, i just dont think its been unlocked yet. i heard some recordings she did pre-TMR in an outfit called Swampy Bones...i really dug those. but yeah, i look forward to checking this out and i hope its really good.

#8 Maschine Man

Maschine Man

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,161 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

The video seemed a bit off to me, can't put my finger on it. Looks like they have several singles/videos all lined up so they will be heavily promoting it, possibly even some vault material (ugh). I'm digging that artwork something hard.

I liked the Black Belles performance I went to, so hopefully this translates to a good album. 

#9 MaggieMay

MaggieMay

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

She was seated up front, stage right at Jack's Masonic show. Is she from Detroit?

#10 Jettkoral

Jettkoral

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 371 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

Unlike a lot of people, I like the BB recorded work. Polished for sure, but it's good stuff. Never seen them live, so I can't comment on that.
The clips of songs I've heard sound really good. Excited to hear this album.

#11 Rumble

Rumble

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

I just find it weird that she's solo now, she was just in the Black Belles, I really liked Shelby Lynne :(  

#12 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

Looking forward to it. I liked the Black Belles.
She's rather pretty too.

#13 laurelei

laurelei

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

i'll be interested to check this out. i like a lot of things about Olivia, but i havent been completely sold on her stuff yet. i feel like theres something great in her, I believe she's perfectly capable, i just dont think its been unlocked yet. i heard some recordings she did pre-TMR in an outfit called Swampy Bones...i really dug those. but yeah, i look forward to checking this out and i hope its really good.

!

Edited by laurelei, 22 August 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#14 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

i heard some recordings she did pre-TMR in an outfit called Swampy Bones...i really dug those. but yeah, i look forward to checking this out and i hope its really good.

is that surf stuff? I thought it was pretty good. I liked her look better then, too, without all the black goop.

Shelby Lynne was a little dynamite!

#15 Day Tripper

Day Tripper

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

Edited by Day Tripper, 12 February 2019 - 04:10 PM.

#16 bbug

bbug

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

hahah!  Seriously she does look like someone famous and I think the girls name is Ali Larter?  Do you guys know who I'm talking about?  She's been in a few movies.

#17 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

she looks like Lily Munster.

mmmmm my dream wife.

#18 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

Olivia....she just ain't my cup of tea. Never was, even with the BB.

However, I wish her well :)

#19 Renfield

Renfield

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

The Black Belles LP is my second favourite non-Jack LP to come out of TMR so I'm pretty psyched about this. The video does come off a little oddly, like they're really pushing the point that Olivia Jean is her own person & not just a pet project, but in the end I think she herself comes off well & the song snippets are right up my alley. I'm also curious to see who all would be in her backing band if (more likely when) there's a tour.

#20 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

I'd be way more excited for a new Black Belles album.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users