Edit this setlist | More Jack White setlists

#2 Ninjatrombonist

Ninjatrombonist

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:11 PM

First time seeing Jack live, in person. So excited!

#3 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,704 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:44 PM

You picked an excellent show for your first, considering the connection he feels to Nova Scotia.  Hope you have a blast!

#4 selke

selke

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:07 PM

So frustrated....won the early entry through the Vault for this show, and was so excited. There is a crazy wind storm out there with winds gusting to 130+ km/h, and thus we are completely stuck on this Island. The ferry is closed due to rough seas. We sat at the Confederation Bridge for four hours this afternoon hoping beyond hope that it would open up, but no. Urgh. I have never felt isolated living on an island until today, and then suddenly it is the most claustrophobic place on earth. Let me off! 

#5 Ninjatrombonist

Ninjatrombonist

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:27 PM

Barrett's Privateers was amazing!

#6 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,704 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:56 AM

So frustrated....won the early entry through the Vault for this show, and was so excited. There is a crazy wind storm out there with winds gusting to 130+ km/h, and thus we are completely stuck on this Island. The ferry is closed due to rough seas. We sat at the Confederation Bridge for four hours this afternoon hoping beyond hope that it would open up, but no. Urgh. I have never felt isolated living on an island until today, and then suddenly it is the most claustrophobic place on earth. Let me off! 

I know someone else who was in a similar situation, with early entry last night but whose flights couldn't get to Halifax because of the wind. So very sorry for the both of you, I can totally understand that horrible frustration.

Barrett's Privateers was amazing!

Tell us more!

#7 Ninjatrombonist

Ninjatrombonist

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:28 AM

If you're unfamiliar with Barrett's Privateers it's somewhat of a Nova Scotian anthem in the style of a sea shanty. Jack sang it as Carla kept beat on a drum and everyone clapped and sang along. He sang the first verse and I thought he was joking, but I was so impressed that he learned the whole song, with the occasional lyrical stumble we're used to with Jack. He sang it with so much emotion too. I would really love it if it was released someday.

#8 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,704 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:40 PM

I listened to this this morning and I can imagine that had to have been a terrific moment.  Reminds me of when the Stripes played Canadee-I-O on the last tour.

Any other highlights from the show? Was the experience of seeing him for the first time everything you hoped it would be?

#9 Ninjatrombonist

Ninjatrombonist

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:31 PM

He played a good chunk of I Think I Smell A Rat, and Slowly Turning Into You is also currently missing from the setlist. He also gave a shout out to the MacIsaac and Gillis families between songs at some point, and mentioned Cape Breton and Antigonish.
The crowd was pretty lame, people around me sat the whole time and sometimes didn't even clap between songs. My friend I was with said he actually fell asleep for about 20 minutes. I need better friends!
Jack sounded pretty great but I've never loved Cut Like A Buffalo or Black Bat Licorice. He tried to get the crowd to sing High Ball Stepper and that didn't work out great either.

#10 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,704 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:51 PM

Oh my gosh. No more going to shows with that friend.  Was the whole venue seated, or was there a GA pit?

#11 Ninjatrombonist

Ninjatrombonist

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:06 PM

The pit had some energy, but I couldn't hear a lot of singing from the crowd. Maybe I'm used to hearing shows that have mic'd crowd sounds properly/unrealisticly mixed? Also I was partially deaf after the opening act. Random complaints aside, it was awesome!

#12 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,704 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:10 PM

Glad you enjoyed it overall  :)

#13 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:06 PM

If I were a musical artist, and went out of my way to play a concert in an area that most artists wouldn't bother with (due to the distance and cost), and the crowd wasn't responsive....that would be the last time I played that area, ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users