81 replies to this topic

#41 C.F.K.

C.F.K.

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,105 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:57 PM

I remember reading pretty much all of the books mentioned in here... Sideways Stories from Wayside School, Goosebumps, Encyclopedia Brown, Chronicles of Narnia, a bunch of Roald Dahl books (Wonkas, James & the Giant Peach, and the Witches come to mind), To Kill a Mockingbird, and the list goes on. The only one of those I read for school purposes was TKAM. I guess my parents did a good job of getting me to read books!

But my favourite book that I read when I was young was The Girl Who Owned a City. It's not heavy reading at all, it's just interesting, and I really liked it. It's about a plague that kills all people over the age of 12, and kids are left to rule the world. It focuses on one small city. Now that I think of it, I guess it's essentially a mainland ripoff of Lord of the Flies.

Now, books that I didn't like.... well I don't remember books that were truly bad. I probably just stopped reading them if I thought they were bad.

Edited by C.F.K., 03 January 2008 - 04:58 PM.

#42 wayfaringstranger

wayfaringstranger

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:44 PM

But my favourite book that I read when I was young was The Girl Who Owned a City. It's not heavy reading at all, it's just interesting, and I really liked it. It's about a plague that kills all people over the age of 12, and kids are left to rule the world. It focuses on one small city. Now that I think of it, I guess it's essentially a mainland ripoff of Lord of the Flies.

i read that too when i was little and it was really good. i dont think its lord of the flies at all though, really...

#43 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:57 PM

-some series of books about a girl with a photographic memory (i forget what they were called)

:lol:

#44 wayfaringstranger

wayfaringstranger

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:26 AM

i didnt say i had a photographic memory!

#45 Emma10

Emma10

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

So wait -- r there any other kid kids (like 12 and under) who post here? Am I the only one? :ph34r:

#46 Guest_Apple Demilo_*

Guest_Apple Demilo_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

Any kid who is a fan of Harry Potter and the Narnia books ought to read the Wizard of Oz series by L Frank Baum. I also read a ton of Piers Anthony's books when I was a kid.

#47 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:51 PM

So wait -- r there any other kid kids (like 12 and under) who post here? Am I the only one? :ph34r:

I can't think of any other members who are your age, Emma. There might be some who only read the board and don't post, though.

I hadn't heard the phrase "kid kids" before :wacko:

#48 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:57 PM

i didnt say i had a photographic memory!

This seems to be a good candidate for those books:

Attached File  cam_jansen.jpg   15.09K   5 downloads

No luck with your telepathic/telekinetic lad though - "The Boy Who Saved Earth" by Jim Slater was about all I could come up with and it wasn't a very close match.

#49 jellyfish

jellyfish

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

I loved Night of the Twisters
Posted Image

And then in 1996 they made a movie of it and Devon Sawa (who I had a big teen crush on) played Dan which reminded me of my love of the book.

Edited by jellyfish, 04 January 2008 - 10:20 PM.

#50 wayfaringstranger

wayfaringstranger

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

This seems to be a good candidate for those books:

Attached File  cam_jansen.jpg   15.09K   5 downloads

No luck with your telepathic/telekinetic lad though - "The Boy Who Saved Earth" by Jim Slater was about all I could come up with and it wasn't a very close match.

that's it! awesome!

yeah... the telekinetic one will be harder to find... perhaps someday....

#51 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:15 PM

Maybe:

Attached File  obernewtyn.jpg   15.06K   2 downloads

or maybe:

Attached File  hidden_talents.jpg   15.9K   3 downloads

#52 wayfaringstranger

wayfaringstranger

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:07 AM

/\ nope... but thanks for tryin :D

#53 Emma10

Emma10

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

[quote name='barrowc' date='Jan 4 2008, 09:51 PM' post='1572321']
"I can't think of any other members who are your age, Emma. There might be some who only read the board and don't post, though.

I hadn't heard the phrase "kid kids" before :wacko:

Oh well -- I keep telling Philip that I'm almost famous.

Kid kids -- yup, that's what I call people like me (and not like my brothers friends who r kids but can go outside by themselves and stuff) Bye!

Edited by Emma8, 07 January 2008 - 02:42 PM.

#54 C.F.K.

C.F.K.

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,105 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

i read that too when i was little and it was really good. i dont think its lord of the flies at all though, really...

It's been a while since I've read either of those books, but they're basically the same premise, aren't they? Something happens causing a bunch of kids to be in an adult-less world and start their own civilization. With leaders stepping forth making rules/laws/etc, and we get to see the violent side of human nature shine through (or fail to shine through). Maybe I just have a bad memory.... that's entirely possible.

#55 Emma10

Emma10

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:27 PM

i just wanted to say that the witchs scared the daylights out of me.

I know. After we read that, I slept on a mattress on the floor of my Mom's room. Then I kept looking at the people in my school and at the grocery store, wondering if they were witches.

#56 Purplehaze

Purplehaze

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:45 PM

Anyone read "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle"? It's about this girl that goes on a sailing voyage and is the only passenger or something. . .I don't remember exactly but I loved it.

#57 C.F.K.

C.F.K.

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,105 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

Ahhh... I think I might have. Did it involve a jail cell of some kind below deck, with either a slave or prisoner in it? If it's the book I'm thinking of, I read it when I was 10 or 11.

#58 Purplehaze

Purplehaze

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:57 PM

Yeah I think it might have. There was some kind of mutiny on the ship and she was suspected of something to do with it, I think. Someone might have been locked up at one point.

#59 stealth_llama

stealth_llama

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:14 PM

I know. After we read that, I slept on a mattress on the floor of my Mom's room. Then I kept looking at the people in my school and at the grocery store, wondering if they were witches.

yeah, i couldnt walk down the corrirdor the first night...mind you, ours was a very
long scary one, with plenty of places for ambush (wow, just realized how hyper
active my imagination was/is). and i too kept looking at people in shops and on
the street, looking for tell tale signs. rest assured, i never saw any witches.

#60 Mae Rickman

Mae Rickman

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,050 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

Ah Emma! you make me smile. I have just received a book I loved to read when I was around your age, Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfield. It was written in the 30's and last year an adaptation was shown on tv, I had forgotten about the book, but as soon as I saw Emma Watson putting a ribbon in her hair it all came back to me. I would reccomend it highly.
My first copy was from a car boot sale, along with lots of enid blyton and beatrix potter books. I also adore Diana Wynne Jones' Dalemark Quartet, the name MAE comes from that series.

I never really read children's stories, I used to steal all my mothers fantasy fiction and cookery books, many were far too old for me, but Melanie Rawn is my utter favourite, I am so in love with Ruins of Ambrai, it makes me laugh, cry and fall in love. sad I know, but I bought the second in the trilogy and I can't even read it for fear of what may happen.

Can anybody help me? I had a huge hardback book with no cover I would drag to primary school and place reverently in my desk, I cannot remember the name! There were...towers..and salt plains..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users