31 replies to this topic

#21 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:30 PM

It's got Johnny Depp / Tim Burton / Hot Topic bonus so it's like plus fifty points...

#22 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:09 PM

My God you really think Sweeney Todd is better than No Country? :wacko:

He is entitled to his opinion!

#23 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,394 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:46 PM

Zodiac
Bourne Ultimatum
Knocked Up
Hot Fuzz
I'm Not There
The Simpsons Movie
The Number 23

Out of all the movies everybody listed, these are the ones I saw. Zodiac was sooooo boring. We had to make two or three attempts at watching it because of falling asleep. Bourne Ultimatum was.... a Jason Bourne movie. It was exactly like the other two. No big deal. Knocked Up* was cute, but it wasn't as WILDLY FUNNY as I'd been led to believe. Hot Fuzz, same thing. That whole movie seemed like an excuse to make that 'final battle' scene at the end. I'm Not There was interesting, despite my attempts to not like it. The Simpsons Movie wasn't anything I couldn't see on television. Not sure why they felt they had to make a movie instead of a three-part episode, but whatever. The Number 23 was fucking idiotic. The other New Movies I saw this year were The Last Mimzy (the kids liked it), Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (everybody fell asleep, even the children), Evan Almighty (cute I guess, but really stupid), Sicko (interesting, but hopeless), Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (just like the other ones), I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry (retarded - I want that 90 minutes back), Hot Rod (I thought this was really really funny), Underdog (one of the worst movies I've ever seen), Dan in Real Life (terrible), Fred Claus (the kids liked it), National Treasure: Book of Secrets (same as the other one). So not a very good year for movies. I guess the best movies I saw this year were I'm Not There and fuckin' Hot Rod. Can't come up with five good ones.

*The two 'lead actresses' in Knocked Up ruined the movie for me, they were absolutely HORRIBLE.

Edited by mittensonfire, 15 January 2008 - 04:52 PM.

#24 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:55 PM

you should check out the movie Once, it's a cute little love story about some indie artists...I saw half of it and enjoyed it although it may be boring to some. My favorite movies of the year have all been stupid weird Asian movies that probably actually came out last year. I wish the studios would grow some fucking balls instead of putting out the same old big summer blockbuster crap. I did enjoy Transofrmers...it's not an Oscar worthy movie but it at least didn't bore me and that action was fun. Which sucks when thats one of the few movies that stuck out for me this year...

#25 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,394 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

you should check out the movie Once, it's a cute little love story about some indie artists...I saw half of it and enjoyed it although it may be boring to some.

Is it this one:
In this charming contemporary musical helmed by John Carney, a street musician (Glen Hansard) in Dublin, Ireland, strikes up a friendship with a migrant street hawker (Markéta Irglová). Over the course of a busy week, they compose, rehearse and record a series of songs that mirror the duo's burgeoning romance -- and help the young busker release his musical passions. The actors wrote the tunes they perform in this film that was recognized at Sundance 2007.
?

#26 twitch

twitch

Little Room Lunatic

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,056 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

YEA THAT ONE!

sorry...no need for caps.

#27 C.F.K.

C.F.K.

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,105 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:39 PM

Out of all the movies everybody listed, these are the ones I saw. Zodiac was sooooo boring. We had to make two or three attempts at watching it because of falling asleep. Bourne Ultimatum was.... a Jason Bourne movie. It was exactly like the other two. No big deal. Knocked Up* was cute, but it wasn't as WILDLY FUNNY as I'd been led to believe. Hot Fuzz, same thing. That whole movie seemed like an excuse to make that 'final battle' scene at the end. I'm Not There was interesting, despite my attempts to not like it. The Simpsons Movie wasn't anything I couldn't see on television. Not sure why they felt they had to make a movie instead of a three-part episode, but whatever. The Number 23 was fucking idiotic. The other New Movies I saw this year were The Last Mimzy (the kids liked it), Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (everybody fell asleep, even the children), Evan Almighty (cute I guess, but really stupid), Sicko (interesting, but hopeless), Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (just like the other ones), I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry (retarded - I want that 90 minutes back), Hot Rod (I thought this was really really funny), Underdog (one of the worst movies I've ever seen), Dan in Real Life (terrible), Fred Claus (the kids liked it), National Treasure: Book of Secrets (same as the other one). So not a very good year for movies. I guess the best movies I saw this year were I'm Not There and fuckin' Hot Rod. Can't come up with five good ones.

*The two 'lead actresses' in Knocked Up ruined the movie for me, they were absolutely HORRIBLE.

The Number 23 - oh man... I saw the trailer and I thought it was a joke. Literally. It was like watching one of those SNL commercial skits. Not very often (I'd say never actually) is a movie so bad that I think it's a legitimate joke with all of the actors in on it. I wouldn't ever bother watching the entire thing. It looks to me like you just picked an extremely shitty bunch of movies to watch this year. Right away I could have told you that most of those suck. I didn't watch many new movies this year, but most were good. And I have Juno downloading right now and I hope it'll be good too.

#28 antiboy

antiboy

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,150 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:41 PM

He is entitled to his opinion!

Of course, of course. The comparison with No Country was useless, I admit. I just find it hard to believe anyone would list Sweeney Todd as best film of the year is all.

#29 Ahab

Ahab

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:14 AM

well i think Sweeney Todd was masterful as what it was.... No Country for Old Men is on a completely different level.

If i were to list my Best 5 of 2007... it would have read differently. but i didn't! Those are my favorite 5 of the year... favorite. And if you ask me.... Sweeney Todd is a lot more fun to watch.

#30 vytis33

vytis33

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:49 PM

EDIT

1. No Country For Old Men
2. Sweeney Todd
3. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
4. There Will Be Blood