Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:31 PM

karpenter.jpg

Saw the great John Carpenter two days ago in Vienna. Here's the setlist:

http://www.setlist.f...a-23fac88f.html

Nice intimate venue (third row for me), great sound, band was good, John was cool. 75 minutes including encores. Merchandise stand was lame & overpriced; I did buy the glasses, though... we all did!

JC_Sunglasses.jpg

After the concert I went to the WUK club (White Stripes played there in 2003) to check out this Ezra Furman guy... was pleasantly surprised with the kick-ass level of the gig.

Edited by Okudzhava, 05 November 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#62 Robinski

Robinski

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:21 AM

I'm old, so I've seen many live shows over the years. I don't remember half of them! Ha ha.

The one Bruce Springsteen show I saw still stands out as my favourite.

The one Van Morrison show I saw was a bitter disappointment.

#63 NOT_COOL

NOT_COOL

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:51 AM

I'm only 18, and being from Singapore, I rarely, if ever, get to witness a few concerts. The only times I really get to see some good music is the Formula One Grand Prix period, which also attracts mainly big stars. The really good, standout concerts for me were:

Full Pledge Munkees -- The only local, Singaporean act on my list (missed out on Linying thanks to work :-( ), I was dragged to a music festival for which she was part of the organisational team. The main act, Sezairi, bored everyone to sleep. But it was one of the openers that absolutely stole the show. The Full Pledge Munkees brought Ska-Punk to the stage and absolutely brought the house down. Like, seriously, they had the crowd, and me, in the palm of their hand with each song. I bought their album right away. Probably the most energetic, entertaining band I've seen with the mostlively crowd I've been a part of. Which goes to show how horrific that Sezairi performance was. But never mind, onto the next one.

Seasick Steve -- Okay, this one you've probably all heard of. When I saw him on the schedule for F1, I was freaking out. I had every right to. The concert was unusual, in that the majority of the front rows of the crowd chose to sit down, leaving me in the first standing row. His music was, of course, absolutely special. When Dog House Boogie came up for his finale, that was the cue for everyone to get up and dance. That's a concert I won't regret going to at all.

fun. -- Oh wow, were they simply amazing. They didn't do F1, but instead at a much more intimate venue, the Hard Rock Hotel Coliseum. At first, I dismissed them as being another simple pop-rock group that'd fail to impress (see Maroon 5). I was proven wrong and beyond. Nate Reuss is an absolute legend on the mic. They covered the Rolling Stones. The Gambler became one of my favourite songs ever after that performance (to the lady in the front row who gave her first-born to hear that song, you got your offspring's worth). A great, great, great concert.

Queen + Adam Lambert -- Now this. This was probably the best live performance by any band ever. I only planned to stay until 11. I left after midnight. Adam Lambert has this undeniable stage presence that resembled good ol' Freddie Mercury. But while Mercury, in my mind, showed it off, Lambert just exuded that energy that brought everyone and everything together. Brian May may be 69, but he still played just like he did in his prime. Roger Taylor can absolutely belt those drums out like a man possessed when he needs to, and his falsetto is still goddamn impressive. But this show was all Lambert. If there was any replacement for Mercury, Lambert is that and more. The first half of that performance, Fat Bottomed Girls and Killer Queen in particular, may never, ever be topped. That's how great they were.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users