88 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:01 AM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc., in this thread only please. Thanks, and enjoy the show!

#2 Spamber

Spamber

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:39 AM

Yay! Finally :)
Really hoping for early entry.. If not though, how early do people line up here in Detroit?

#3 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,059 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:17 AM

depends, sometimes around 2ish.

I've not been there for a couple of years but The FillmorePosted Image is in a decent area, so you need not worry. Go as early as you like and have a great time. I'm green with envy Posted Image

#4 Spamber

Spamber

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

Just got my early entry email... Thank you TMR!

#5 cscott04

cscott04

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

Just got my early entry email too. Thanks TMR

#6 Spamber

Spamber

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:22 PM

Just got back to my hotel. Absolutely amazing show. Can't remember the setlist, but a wonderful show all around. Met so many nice people! Will post photos when I return to Toronto tomorrow night.
Oh Meg was there. Jack told a story about her bull mastiff named Delilah. Snapped a picture of her sitting off to the side. Not a rough crowd either which was appreciated.

Thank you, Dead Weather, for a wonderful night :)

#7 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:19 AM

Great show. I was ga floor, but I stood on the rail of the third little level. And that proved to be awesome for me. I was eye level with the band and wasn't crowded. Some prick kept yelling obnoxiously behind me, but oh well. Guess who had their own table right by the soundboard at the bar? I saw a table that said Mosshart and... Gillis! I'm not super familiar of what jacks mom looks like, but there was an older lady at the table that people kept talking to and I had seen her before. I think it was his mom. Looked liked some possibly nieces or something too. Anyways, show was fun, and I'll tell more tomorrow. Didn't have my camera tonight :( but ya.

Oh and Harlem were a waste of time. Everything sounding exactly the same and the "frontman" acted like a complete hipster.

Edited by Ak1nney, 01 August 2010 - 12:30 AM.

#8 DougieZero

DougieZero

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:58 AM

Did any of the vault members witness that awful moment when that very drunk mother forced herself and her very small daughter to the front, right before the show. She was crying hysterically, terrified. Then everyone else started crying, begging this mother to leave the floor. This kid was like 6 years old... the crowd was very rowdy and this was a death sentence. People were just flipping out, like a lynch mob.... begging for her to leave.

#9 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:08 AM

Those people were directly in front of me! Thanks to the glory that is Early Entry, I had a sweet spot right on the barrier slightly to the right of Jack Lawrence. All of a sudden this little kid appeared in the wee tiny space between the barrier and the stage. At one point early in the show, Allison went up to her and shook her hand. So she was one of THOSE parents, you know? "I'm gonna USE MY KID to get NOTICED by ROCK STARS." Super gross. Later on in the part where Jack and Allison are singing loudly off-mic at each other, this woman screeched and howled, apparently to drown them out? What an asshole.

Edited by mittensonfire, 01 August 2010 - 01:10 AM.

#10 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:17 AM

Those people were directly in front of me! Thanks to the glory that is Early Entry, I had a sweet spot right on the barrier slightly to the right of Jack Lawrence. All of a sudden this little kid appeared in the wee tiny space between the barrier and the stage. At one point early in the show, Allison went up to her and shook her hand. So she was one of THOSE parents, you know? "I'm gonna USE MY KID to get NOTICED by ROCK STARS." Super gross. Later on in the part where Jack and Allison are singing loudly off-mic at each other, this woman screeched and howled, apparently to drown them out? What an asshole.

The asshole behind me yelled a drunk random phrase during every pause in a song/beat for half the show. I turned around and just shook my head at him. I wanted to tell him to shut the fuck up, but he had like 3 drunk friends with him and I didn't wanna start trouble. Besides that, it was good. I couldn't hear Alison at all during the first song, but oh well. I wasn't too far from the soundboard, but the mix wasn't too bad. LJs bass could have been more prominent and Alisons vocals.

I only showed up 40 mins early and had the spot I wanted :) Jack danced with a cane while singing You just can't win haha.

Edited by Ak1nney, 01 August 2010 - 01:21 AM.

#11 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:19 AM

So anyway, yeah, the show. Early entry, you gotta do it, holy cow. Allen and I (my 16-year-old son and I) showed up at ten minutes to seven, doors opened at seven. If we didn't have early entry, we'd've had to've waited in one of the longest lines in the history of lines. But we're cool and special thanks to Vaultation, so it was up against the barrier for us. Tame crowd, especially for Detroit. There wasn't a lot of action, I expected it to be like a zoo in there, but not so much. What else. Saw Meg White sitting on the left side of the stage with "friends and family." That was cool, always good to see Meg White of course, hell yeah. I only saw Dead Weather once before (at the Magic Stick), and I thought they were better this time. Maybe because they had more songs? I dunno. A couple funny moments. Jack sorta tripped and knocked over that square "Bo Diddley" looking guitar. Jack's "180 pound bull mastiff named Delilah" story. Jack also said a few fuck words, it's always funny to me when he starts cussing. There was one song where they froze, it seemed Jack wouldn't start drumming again until the smoke machine started working, because as soon as the smoke came on, he started them up again.
Harlem were cute, sorta self-deprecating, not bad for some hipster wussies. Only one of them was wearing girls' shoes, so that's a step up from most hipsters. They seemed overwhelmed, though.

#12 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:21 AM

The asshole behind me yelled a drunk random phrase during every pause in a song/beat for half the show. I turned around and just shook my head at him. I wanted to tell him to shut the fuck up, but he had like 3 drunk friends with him and I didn't wanna start trouble. Besides that, it was good. I couldn't here Alison at all during the first song, but oh well. I wasn't too far from the soundboard, but the mix wasn't too bad. LJs bass could have been more prominent and Alisons vocals.

Yeah, at one point Allison was saying something, and it seemed like she wanted a reply, but I couldn't understand what she said, and it didn't seem like anybody else could either. She's a piece of work, that one. She walks like Jim Morrison, sings like Patti Smith, contorts like Iggy Pop, and plays guitar like a four-year-old with stumps for hands.

Oh, and the dudes behind us kept yelling "Jack Black!" and whenever they saw a roadie they'd yell "Roadie!" I think they thought they were funny. But they were not.

Edited by mittensonfire, 01 August 2010 - 01:23 AM.

#13 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:24 AM

Hahaha I love your take on Harlem. I saw two more middle aged folk on the side of the stage sitting (man and woman) and I saw a woman from where I was that wasn't Meg. I guess since I was middle-stage right about 60 feet back, it kept me from seeing her. Sorry for my edits, my iPod thinks it knows what I want to say.

Edited by Ak1nney, 01 August 2010 - 01:26 AM.

#14 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:44 AM

There was a whole big group over there, maybe 15 people? I'm not a stalker, so I don't know who they were. I recognized Meg 'cause she was on the teevee before.

#15 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,042 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:52 AM

Was Eddizzle there?

#16 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:57 AM

Why you gotta flash blinding lights in my eyes constantly, The Dead Weather? It's almost like you don't wanna be seen, but you know you wanna be seen, don't play! It gave me a headache after a while. Also, after the show I planned on asking one of your roadies if he would pass me one of the setlists from off the stage, but immediately after the show ended this Amish dude came out and took them all away. Balled them up and left. What the hell, Amish dude! I wasn't gonna sell it on Ebay or whatever! I have a bag of 'em upstairs. I think they're cool little trinkets. And cheap too! Why you gotta be like that, The Dead Weather! Aw, but thanks for Early Entry, The Dead Weather. That was supercool. And there was music too. Good job with the music portion of the evening. Okay, I'm going to bed now. I'M VERY TIRED, and apparently incoherent.

#17 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:58 AM

I didn't see Eddie Gee, nor did I see anybody I knew in any sense of the word "know" who wasn't a World Famous Rock Star On Stage.

#18 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:42 AM

thanks for the run down guys.

#19 DougieZero

DougieZero

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:14 AM

The asshole behind me yelled a drunk random phrase during every pause in a song/beat for half the show. I turned around and just shook my head at him. I wanted to tell him to shut the fuck up, but he had like 3 drunk friends with him and I didn't wanna start trouble.

we were sober.

#20 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,684 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:20 AM

Why you gotta flash blinding lights in my eyes constantly, The Dead Weather?

No shit! That is the one thing that has bugged me at their shows.

Great description of Alison, by the way ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users