17 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,284 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc., in this thread only please. Thanks, and enjoy the show!

#2 whatsername

whatsername

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

Waitin' in the heat... no early entry, dammit! ;)

#3 whatsername

whatsername

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:45 AM

THEY OPENED WITH PORTLAND, OREGON!!!!

can't type much now... with a friend. but the show was fucking incredible. :)

#4 LittleWhiteGhost

LittleWhiteGhost

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:08 AM

OH WOW!!! that must've been something worth seeing :o

#5 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:41 AM

yup. that would have been really good to see. *hopes someone taped it*

#6 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:38 AM

That is definitely a cool idea. But that's a pretty high-pitched song, so I'd be very interested to hear how they sounded on it.

Someone got about a minute of Buffalo on video, but that's all that seems to be up so far-

#7 tubezipper

tubezipper

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:15 AM

THEY OPENED WITH PORTLAND, OREGON!!!!

Holy shit!!

#8 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

FUCK YEAH!!!!
The Raconteurs did the same thing once. Still the Weather have to fucking cover Another Way To Die, it's their destiny man!

I think drinking by the pitcher and not by the glass is particularly resonant to Jack these days ;)

#9 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

Awright, where the heck are the Oregon people? TranscendInEveryWay...? Anyone...? Bueller, Bueller...

Edit: Finally, more is beginning to leak out. TMLYM--

Edited by Kali Durga, 25 July 2010 - 04:40 PM.

#10 whatsername

whatsername

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:44 AM

did no one else go to this show? lol. anyway, slept late today, watched a truck crash into a church across the street from our hotel room, went traipsing around portland for awhile and then made the long slow drive back to seattle for the block party show. just got home... fucking incredible weekend. !!!!!!!

didn't get early entry, so got in line at four, after about seven other people. it was way hot but the tour busses were right by the door so we moved the line to the curb in the shade of them. my friend went and got gelato for us after awhile and found out from a lady there that the band spent "like all day" friday at Powell's Books across the street... my favorite book store. damn. at one point these three little kids behind us in line got invited onto the tour bus... they came out a few minutes later all excited and jumping up and down. it was cute. Matthew Fox walked by us a couple times. weird, does he live in portland? so doors opened at eight and of course right before we went in there was some drama with line cutters... oh.. you do not know who you're messing with little girls. back of line, bitches. we just do not put up with that shit...

ended up on the rail right in front of dean... it was a small stage. it's a small place and it was hot as hell...it had felt better in the 95 degree heat outside. harlem were alright and seemed like they would normally be a fun band to see, but i was hot and impatient and they chatted too much. thankfully it started to get a bit cooler in there before dw came out and i no longer felt like passing out.

so YES, they opened with Portland Oregon! it took me a moment to realize what it was and then this big ass grin spread across my face. it was completely deadweather-ized. heavy, with of course jack & alison trading verses. it sounded amazing.

it's been almost a year and i had forgotten just how powerful this band is live.

really can't remember the setlist in order... but they played:

portland, or
60 ft tall
hang you
you just can't win
so far from your weapon
i'm mad
i cut like a buffalo
no horse (w/ alison singing mostly off-stage, down in front of the rail)
difference between us
rocking horse
die by the drop
hustle and cuss
new pony
will there be enough water
blue blood blues
jawbreaker
i can't hear you
treat me like your mother

the crowd was rowdy as hell, but i was pretty much untouched.. that might've had something to do w/ having a ten yr old boy right next to me. at the start i was worried about him but people were respectful and no one squished him and he had the best time.. totally rocking out, and got Dean's pick at the end. : ) my friend to the other side of me had to deal with some shitty acting people (she got shoved and pinched and then punched in the kidney at one point from assholes trying to get her spot on the rail, but she's really fucking tough, didn't really faze her!) everyone on stage looked and sounded amazing. they just sound so tight and ferocious. i couldn't really see jack from the gut up, being right in front of dean his keyboard was in the way (not that i'm complaining!), but i have never heard such heavy sounding drums, those skins must be made of some poweful stuff. he just bashes them with full jack white force. he's really an incredible drummer. dean is a badass and i loved watching him do his thing up close. his talent is astounding. alison screeched and wailed like a woman possessed. she is a goddess. i could barely take my eyes off her. everyone in this band is so fucking sexy (my friend: "even glasses over there is lookin' sexy with his new beard." :lol: ) there was no "fighting" this time during can't hear you. alison just nuzzled her face into his back and along his upper arm for a bit. nothing but love. ;) during buffalo(i think), the crowd started clapping to the beat loudly and jack leapt up onto his bass drum with a big smile on his face and then jumped down to center stage and egged us on a bit. that was cute. this poor security guy, at one point i saw alison's mic stand fall forward and land directly on his head, totally took him by surprise, and during another song she crouched behind him and was kind of snuggling up to him. it was humorous. he kind of glanced back like "what the fuck?" lol. dean was wrestling with his keyboard quite a bit on the last song, and i was a bit weary, thinking "hold on to that fucker now, don't want it to land on me!" then they waved and bowed and said goodbye. great GREAT show.

that was already long and rambly, but since there's no seattle thread, i'll just add that the show at the capital hill block party tonight was just as amazing. got a nice spot side stage about fifteen people back, next to the fence and up on a curb so i could see perfectly, despite only showing up 30 minutes before show time. the sun was setting behind the stage and the weather was perfect. the street was packed and people were watcing from windows and rooftops all around. it was a great atmosphere. the setlist was pretty much the same, minus a handful of songs due to curfew, and it being a festival-type thing. but yeah, another amazing show. :) 'water' was the best, most blistering version i've witnessed yet, live or on video. i was on such a high walking away from this show, through the streets of seattle. the night air was a perfect temp with a slight breeze. the sun had just set and my dead weather weekend was over already, but i felt reallllly fucking good. =)

#11 uglyinutah

uglyinutah

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:44 AM

The show was unbelievably good! I know a lot of people have said how much better the band is getting and it's true. My husband and I traveled from Utah to see this show (as well as Neil Young in Seattle a few days prior) and we were totally blown away. I was afraid the crystals on the chandeliers in the ballroom might fall loose from the frenzied rock 'n roll happening both on stage and off. Alison actually sang and slithered down the aisle during one song. The audience went crazy. Well . . . wouldn't you?

Being a devoted fan, I scribbled down the set list. Yes, as has been reported, they opened with Portland, Oregon and it was fantastic. Sorry that I don't have a recording. The band was in great spirits and showed lots of attitude. Dean had a particularly "on" night since he had guests in the audience. His wife's aunt and family were sitting right in front of us. The aunt told my husband that Alison almost didn't make it to the show because she wasn't feeling well. You would never know this from her performance. She either had a quick recovery or she faked it really well.

Set list:

Portland, Oregon
60 Ft. Tall
Hang you from the Heavens
You Just Can't Win (with Jack singing out front)
So Far from your Weapon
Cut Like a Buffalo
No Horse
Difference Between Us
I'm Mad
Hustle and Cuss
Rocking Horse
Die by the Drop
New Pony
Will There Be Enough Water?

Encore:
Blue Blood Blues
Jawbreaker
You Can't Hear Me
TMLYM

(Ha ha, it looks like two of us posted at exactly the same time!)

Edited by uglyinutah, 26 July 2010 - 02:51 AM.

#12 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:07 AM

:) thanks for the review guys.

#13 tubezipper

tubezipper

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:50 AM

i really really hope a video pops up of their portland oregon rendition

#14 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:09 AM

i really really hope a video pops up of their portland oregon rendition

No kidding. I still want to know who handled Loretta's parts. Or did they drop it down an octave for Alison?

Thanks for the reviews, uglyinutah & Transcend! I hope your high lasts a good long time :D

#15 whatsername

whatsername

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

No kidding. I still want to know who handled Loretta's parts. Or did they drop it down an octave for Alison?

Thanks for the reviews, uglyinutah & Transcend! I hope your high lasts a good long time :D

alison did loretta's parts. sounded great. really hope a recording pops up too.

#16 jcckjc

jcckjc

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:00 PM

This show was awesome!! I got in with Early Entry and my son and I were right on the rail in front of Allison and Jack. His solo for Water was right in front of us and I caught his pick. HELL YEAH!!. Allison jumped down into the walkway between the stage and the crowd and then laid down on the ground right in front of us.

Someone before me posted the setlist which was epic. Portland, Oregon sounded great with Jack and Allison and I thought it was better than when they played it with the Raconteurs a few years back at the Roseland.

I took about 50 pics with my Droid which turned out really good. I'll see if I can post them up here.

#17 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:03 AM

I will have to keep an extra close eye out for this one sounds like it was epic - thanks for sharing, hope a recording shows up as a memento if nothing else for you guys, will see what I can do spamming the hell out of anyone that posts anything from this one on YouTube ;)

#18 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Was reminded of this in another thread so I went digging around for it and lo and behold:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users