#81 pixiedoll

pixiedoll

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

Once again, i am so sorry you missed out. :(

thanks ur so sweet ;) ...i was just kinda kicking myself there haha...i'll keep the hope alive for next time *fingers crossed*

#82 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:27 AM

Judging from those videos, it seems Jack misses being the lead singer, or the center of attention, or whatever. He should rent that movie "Multiplicity."

ALSO, this shit was hilarious, and I hope to see THIS Jack White much more often!

Edited by mittensonfire, 27 July 2010 - 12:35 AM.

#83 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:58 AM

That was indeed a weird show. I enjoyed it, but I'm going to have to rate it as "differently enjoyable".

I'd seen Harlem supporting TDW in San Diego two days before and I thought they were good. They have an energetic retro sound that reminds me a bit of The Ramones and a lot of The Jam, but with nice clear 60s punk and R&B vocals over the top. Today was a different story. They played about four similar songs, endlessly tuning and talking between them. The sound at the Palladium is bad, and I couldn't tell what they were talking about. Possibly others couldn't tell either, or maybe it was just boring because most of the crowd didn't respond to the music or the banter. Eventually, one of the singers said, "We should have brought airplane pillows for you guys to rest your heads on." All right, I guess four musicians, or was it three, I didn't count, can't be wrong. Instead four thousand people in the audience must be wrong. They played some other low-battery tunes and eventually one of them said, "Hey, Palladium, is it because we're a tiny little band that doesn't matter?" In front of me one woman was doing wrist stretches and another was looking through baby pictures on her phone. Then they tried the never-fail opening band standby, "Is anybody here excited about the Dead Weather?" LA knows manipulative speech when it hears it and didn't respond. Then they had a prolonged sotto voce discussion about what they were going to play last. One of them suggested rock and roll, but another recommended "the opposite of rock and roll". So they finished on a slow number and left quietly.

Then behatted suited men arrived and started arranging familiar things around the stage. Jack's Sam Kay drum set, half a dozen gorgeous guitars, boot-scuffed monitors. Behind Jack's stool was a Jacob's Ladder, staple of Frankenstein films. The young men behind me hadn't ever seen one before, although when I briefly explained it, they immediately saw the similarity to a Tesla coil, so Jack is certainly helping improve the education in this country when it comes to Steampunk physics. On top of four of the lighting towers were blue-horned animal busts. During the support act they were covered up. One of the roadies (?) came to the front of the stage, took a bow, and took off the cover of each one in turn while getting screamed at. This struck me as really weird.

For the first time I've seen, instead of going straight from Beefheart to racket to into 60 Feet Tall, or other chosen opener, they messed around. Jack walked to the front with his hat on, ostentatiously popped a champagne cork and chucked it into the crowd. He pouted his way over to Alison, handed her the bottle, got behind his kit and then the band went into 60 Feet Tall. The crowd erupted like a BP deep-sea oil well with an inoperative blowout preventer, and there was no chance to take notes, no chance to even stay on my feet. Between and during songs there were at least three rants from Jack. No idea what they were about, the sound still being terrible. I asked the guy behind me about one, and he said, "Something about the governor and money". The words "motherfucking" and "goddamn" featured prominently. For You Just Can't Win, Jack was helped to the front of the stage by an old bearded guy dressed as a roadie -possibly someone famous I've never heard of and/or Alison in drag or something - and held up swaying for a moment like James motherfucking Brown before singing the song straight, except for "down to motherfucking Birmingham" instead of the usual line. I'm pretty sure I didn't dream that. But it feels like I must have.

By the middle of the set, I got out of there. Two tall skinny cumstains managed to force their way that deep into the crowd, squashed the young woman in front of me and stood there with their cameras. One held it with her hand against her shoulder when not in use so the lit white screen was covering my view of the stage and blinding me at the same time. The crowd was pushing so hard - not moshing, just pushing - that I was lifted off the floor and my ribs were getting crushed. The squashed girl in front of me baled - and I'd promised her she was going to have a good time seeing this band, too. Another strong, fit-looking woman gave up then, so I also made my way to the back, limped up to the balcony and watched the band from a distance. The sound was poor there, but not as bad as in the auditorium. I still couldn't hear what Jack was saying. At least I could watch Alison, who had hair the size of a B1 bomber (and it stayed that way - she must have solved her 'whole can of hairspray" problem).

I stood next to the mixing desk at one point and watched the lighting man. He had a mixer almost as big as the sound guy's, with lots of sliders and knobs and sequencers. His fingers danced and I really admired him - his instrument looked at least as difficult as the musicians' instruments. When one song finished, he jumped back and shouted "Fuck yeah!" completely in the moment. That was great.
Setlists and confirmation that the hatted bearded guy exists outside my imagination will have to come from elsewhere.

On the way home down the lovely I5, my mp3 player shuffled up Grace Jones' My Jamaican Guy, followed it with something else and then Kid 'n' Play's Undercover, which samples the main riff of My Jamaican Guy. Sometimes it's like it knows it's doing this. :)

ALSO ALSO, this was an excellent and hilarious review. Good job, "Elixir Sue."

Edited by mittensonfire, 27 July 2010 - 12:58 AM.

#84 Elixir_Sue

Elixir_Sue

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:20 AM

ALSO ALSO, this was an excellent and hilarious review. Good job, "Elixir Sue."

Hey, thanks, Mittens.

You need any dry reviews doing, pass the material on to me and I'll desiccate it. My specialty.

#85 Candeechild

Candeechild

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

thanks ur so sweet ;) ...i was just kinda kicking myself there haha...i'll keep the hope alive for next time *fingers crossed*

I will send my good luck vibes to you. :)

Hey, thanks, Mittens.

You need any dry reviews doing, pass the material on to me and I'll desiccate it. My specialty.

Yes, it was good and right on. B)

#86 hxcoliver

hxcoliver

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 360 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:00 PM

Bad bad bad show. my last dead weather show/jack white show for that matter. every thing's so different now. I will now reside in the rant and rave section for the rest of eternity.

what was so bad about it??

#87 hxcoliver

hxcoliver

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

if anyone wants a poster of the show, that wasn't able to get one, it's up for sale on Todd Slater's website.
i just ordered mine

#88 3mily

3mily

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:07 PM

if anyone wants a poster of the show, that wasn't able to get one, it's up for sale on Todd Slater's website.
i just ordered mine

gah, got all excited for a minute. checked and it's 40 for the poster plus 10 for shipping.
*goes back to ebay stalking*

#89 hxcoliver

hxcoliver

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:10 PM

i don't think it's all that bad. wasn't it 30 at the show?
a couple of days after i saw one on ebay go for close to 80 if not a little more (i don't remember the exact amount, but it was up there)

#90 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

40 is about the cheapest I've seen them, there were some in the early days of TDW last year that were like 30 off a site but that's been sometime now...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users