89 replies to this topic

#21 3mily

3mily

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:07 PM

Got back last night at like 2 am and just crashed.
I got back from florida around noon, showered, got stuff ready and we drove up around 3:30. ridiculous amount of traffic on the way up, and we got there around 6:30, waiting in line at the coffee bean for the bathroom, got a little bit of food and caffeine in me and got in the queue right next to the buses.
Anyways, so it was a zrazy crowd, the two guys behind us for Harlem were quite pleasant, talking about the fucking 16 year olds who shoved forward. Sorry about that man, we just like being able to see, and the fact that you are taller than us just gave us the awful idea that hey, you could see with us in front of you. The two later went on during the show to move up front and joined in the pushing. Me and my friend found ourselves not having a great view most of the time, but we did manage a few times to see it the stage. I had a pretty good view of dean and alison, which worked for me. Eventually though the nice guy in front of us (seriously, thank you so much, you were very nice) let us go in front of him when a space opened up and kind of helped us when the shoving occurred. we got hit by a few drinks being thrown, and at a few points people slipped in right in front of us and invaded our space but moved. the people around us were cool though.
Anyways, so the show was crazy. Bad sound. Difficult to hear a lot. When Jack was talking about the governor and stuff he said something along the lines of "somebody wants to put motherfucking ronald regan on the motherfucking 50 dollar bill. i bet it was you motherfucking governor." lots of swearing, alison's hair was huge in the beginning and her shirt was ripped up a bit (she had another shirt on top) but the side of her bra was pretty visible. barely had a view of LJ and couldn't really see Jack that well. I had a pretty good view of Dean, but that was mostly spent freaking out like the 16 year old girl I am.
After the show me and my friend freaked out for a bit, and we wanted to stay by the buses, but my dad had to work in the morning and with the drive and stuff we ended up just driving back.
definitely a different show than street scene last year. crazy crowd, lots of swearing, many drunk people (at street scene they cut a line down the middle and separate where you can buy alcohol) pushing, and just the whole performance was different. the sound was actually better at street scene. dean seemed much more confident last night though.

Set list (out of order)
60 ft tall
hang you from the heavens
you just can't win
no horse
hustle and cuss
a child of a few hours is burning to death
so far from your weapon
the difference between us
i'm mad
new pony
die by the drop
will there be enough water
i cut like a buffalo

encore:
blue blood blues
gasoline
i can't hear you
treat me like your mother

Edited by 3mily, 22 July 2010 - 01:56 PM.

#22 Rumble

Rumble

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

did anyone mention the kissing teases between alison and jack? They weren't even beside a mic and they were doing it, got my friend excited because she thought they were gonna kiss. ha. I told her he's a married man! But yes I was entertained by all the cussing from Jack White. I was in the middle of the crowd, I didn't really have a good view of the stage, but it wasn't my first time seeing them so I wasn't dissapointed. A fight broke out to the left of me involving a couple of guys. Someone was smoking pot on and off the whole set, during I Cut Like A Buffalo the pot clouds of smoke were so huge and visable. There was some girl who was smoking a cigarette behind me and my friend, and she accidently burnt my friend! She apologized though... but still I think its pretty stupid to smoke when your so squished. Dumb. I understand why some of other Little Roomers left to go up,it was so hot and you felt like a pack of sardines. One thing which is annoying, which I think Jack White has mentioned, is the annoyance of people having their phones/cameras in the air during the whole performance, they should just enjoy it themselves, its really annoying to people who are behind you trying to see the stage!

#23 tripl3tr3m3lo

tripl3tr3m3lo

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

That show was definitely quite an experience. Personally, I thought that the band did great, despite Jack being absolutely annihilated during the first half of the show. However, I can safely say that was probably the worst crowd i've ever been a part of at a show. I was about 5 rows from the stage near the center, and I was surrounded by a bunch of drunks trying to start a mosh pit, I was waiting for Jack to come over and say something. Good thing I'm not clausterphobic. I guess. Opening band was ok, a lot better than the abomination that is Tyvek who opened for them last year, but I couldn't wait for them to stop so TDW could get on the stage. Jack's rants were pretty funny, especially his one about putting Reagan on the $50 bill. So overall, glad I went.

#24 Elixir_Sue

Elixir_Sue

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

Yes, Kali Durga, I'm in one piece though my knee hurts like hell again now the Vicodin wore off. And, exactly, the phones in the air thing is so annoying. I've come to terms with other humans being taller than me, but not with jerkoffs like the ones who pushed in front of me yesterday who wouldn't put their phones below shoulder level even when they weren't trying to use them.

Here's the poster. I just love it.

Posted Image

I thought it was this one in New Orleans at first, since I've successfully gotten it out of the background and made it creepy myself before now. (But not in those lovely colors!)

Edit to add: annihilated is a good word. I was afraid to come right out and say Jack was drunk, but he was drunk.

Edited by Elixir_Sue, 22 July 2010 - 03:29 PM.

#25 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

Wow. :o That sounds like quite a show. (And I empathize so much--had to bail out of the Crooked Vultures gig and go upstairs or risk squashment, didn't see a thing at the Zeppelin O2 show till a kind kind kind guy let me stand in front of him, I could go on and on.) Perhaps not the definitive DW show, but the kind people will talk about forever and you'll be able to say "I was there! B) And so was my motherfucking knee."

So, did Jack sober up a bit for the second half then?

#26 Elixir_Sue

Elixir_Sue

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:20 PM

Wow. :o That sounds like quite a show. (And I empathize so much--had to bail out of the Crooked Vultures gig and go upstairs or risk squashment, didn't see a thing at the Zeppelin O2 show till a kind kind kind guy let me stand in front of him, I could go on and on.) Perhaps not the definitive DW show, but the kind people will talk about forever and you'll be able to say "I was there! B) And so was my motherfucking knee."

So, did Jack sober up a bit for the second half then?

Well, he could stand up by himself in the second half. :) Though I think his drumming (when not standing up) was actually worse.

#27 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

Dear me. And this is the fresh-faced young lad who so recently serenaded our president! and Sir Paul!

I'd have loved to have been there, I must admit, if only to see him being held upright by a bearded pseudo-roadie. :lol:

#28 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:20 PM

Jack sounds drunk and that shows makes me uncomfortable with all the heat talk and pushing and ahh. I hope Detroit isn't that bad, Chicago last year was amazing with no pushing or anything at all at the front.

#29 tubezipper

tubezipper

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

the champagne certainly affected his playing.

his fills by the end get pretty sloppy and comes in late with the kick

Edited by tubezipper, 22 July 2010 - 05:33 PM.

#30 Elixir_Sue

Elixir_Sue

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

^^ He was very sloppy on drums but his guitar playing was as great as usual which tells me something but I don't know what.

Here's a round up of vids I've found and what to watch for IMO.

I can't hear you
I've only watched it once, but it appears Jack falls over twice and jumps off the stage once. Or maybe he just fell three times.

60 Feet Tall with intro
You can't really see Jack hurl the cork, but you can see him swearily hand over the champage bottle to BR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csmIWVtzGi8 60 Feet Tall.
Jack attempting to remove a champagne cork while off his tree.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmVmm-D5XOc 60 Feet Tall
Good shots of the goat. Or oryx or whatever it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RavzNPdzVQU another 60 Feet Tall
Featuring goat again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKcqYZ6tk0k You Just Can't Win
The beardie roadie drunk stagger and governor rant. With added motherfuckers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfeeJXnwVqM Die By the Drop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR7eODsWkDg ICLAB
With tipsy dance at the beginning and bonus rant. He looks a bit like a very large leprechaun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88NG7817gyQ Hussle and Cuss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sINHhZsCaOk Banter
Posted earlier, with the comment about how he's hoping "gentlemen admirers" contact him while he's in California. (I think that can be arranged Jack. Do you bottom or top?)

I may have some of those links wrong as I'm useless at cutting and pasting from YouTube.

#31 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

^^ He was very sloppy on drums but his guitar playing was as great as usual which tells me something but I don't know what.

It tells me that God wants him to be a guitar player, as proved by the clip of I Can't Hear You you posted--vertical or horizontal, the man's a motherfucking genius.

Thanks so much for all the links!

#32 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:24 PM

Oh my! with your coffee this morning we have a selection of videos pre sorted like a visual tour!
I love you right now Elixir Sue, I only had 4 hours sleep and was going to go back to bed but im staying up now.

He was very sloppy on drums but his guitar playing was as great as usual which tells me something but I don't know what.

that he is better at guitar than drums and when you are that good at something you can still do it when you are fucked up?

(I think that can be arranged Jack. Do you bottom or top?)

Posted Image

#33 Hautegeisha

Hautegeisha

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

Oh wow, more with the pushing in the crowds? :( That thoroughly sucks. Also think it's a bit of a shame that Jack had to get completely obliterated on stage. It seems to really dampened his ability to play, at least with the drums. And I get that it's a rock concert and pretty much balls out or bust, but... I don't know, part of me just pouted and made a sadface. Rather be sober and kick ass than be drunk and fall on your ass. Though the swearing amuses the hell out of me.

#34 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

I'm motherfucking speechless.

#35 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

SO I'm pretty sure that Rant about the $50 bill is the best thing I've seen this month.

#36 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

He probably sees more of them than the rest of us, so it' would be a topic close to his heart.

#37 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

!!! Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#38 Candeechild

Candeechild

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

May i add my review of the show? Well, i thought it was really good. Too bad i couldnt have enjoyed it more. Can we say push and shove my friend? <_<

There was one time that i was seriously thinking of exiting that big old snake pit, because thats basically what it was. But how could i? I was trapped.
There was this guy in front of me telling me to get my hand out of his girlfriends shirt. But its not what you think. I was holding on for dear life! I didnt even realize my hand was half way down her shirt. :lol: :rolleyes: So he said i could hold on to him instead and he asked me if i was okay. I said not really, i just want to get in a different section. But of course that never happened, i was too squished.

I was pretty close to the front of the center stage, but that must have been the danger zone of the floor. I mean, why does everybody have to push and shove for? When Jack first came out, he came to the edge of the stage and the crowd went nuts. Not a good feeling to me. Now i know how a sardine feels like. It aint fun!

The second half of the show the chaos let up a bit, but try taking a deep breath in that atmoshere. It was so hot and sweaty i had sweat running down my neck. The guy next to me said you need a snorkal just to get some fresh air. I thought that ws pretty funny because he was right. LOL
The pushing and shoving got so bad, that i actually wished the show to be over with soon And that is something i never wish for. lol so you know it must have be bad...

Now about the show itself..from what i can remember outside of trying to save my life?? Gah!!
Well, everyones reviews of the show is about right, so i dont need to elaborate more on that...unless i think of something new to say...which i may...shortly...
And thanks guys for the video footage links. Maybe i can watch it in peace now. gads!

Oh and one more thing. Was there anybody here that tried to meet the band after the show? Then decided to go home because you waited forever then gave up? Well, i dont want to make you guys feel bad, but i met the band. Should i write my experience with that here in this thread? Or if you really want to hear about it, you can PM me.

Edited by Candeechild, 22 July 2010 - 08:33 PM.

#39 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

Go right ahead and write about it here. :D

#40 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,042 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

Of course you should write about your experience meeting the band.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users