89 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc., in this thread only please. Thanks, and enjoy the show!

#2 sk8r408

sk8r408

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:22 AM

Sold out show...
Posted Image

Looks like Metric are at the show... http://twitter.com/M...tus/19223414198

Can't wait to see them in S.F. tomorrow!

#3 Elixir_Sue

Elixir_Sue

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:54 AM

Well, that was quite a show. I was in the fifth row and the audience pushed so hard that despite me being protected by a nice man behind me, I had to quit the auditorium and go upstairs after the fifth number. I've never been forced out of an auditori\um before. But, I hear you saying, your knee was busted frrom dancing at San Diego, right? Of course you had to protect it!

Well, no, I wassn't using my knees. The audience was so tight packed my feet weren't actually touching the ground. I saw three women leave the area about then and just gave in and followed them.

I did take notes though, so I can post something relatively coherent in the morning.

I can reveal that Jack was drinking champagne again and swore like a motherfucker all night long. In fact motherfucker is the word he most frequently used.

Edit to add: I have eaten half my stash of motherfucking vikes, am icing my motherfucking knee and shortly will go to motherfucking bed.

Edited by Elixir_Sue, 22 July 2010 - 03:00 AM.

#4 Elixir_Sue

Elixir_Sue

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:28 AM

Oh, and the gig poster is fabulous - it's a reinvention of Marie Laveau's New Orleans cottage in boa constrictor skin and skulls, in royal blue and silver, by Todd Slater.
Not however signed or numbered. And looking at it again, the lack of half-timbering (whatever that's called in this country) means it's not actually Marie Laveau's house. Close though.

#5 calikan

calikan

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:37 AM

That was a weird show. It didnt seem very professional. They just sort of walked on stage and goofed around a bit before they finally got down and started playing 60 feet tall. i was one of the few selected from the vault for early access, and man was the security unorganized. No one knew what was going on. The show was alright. I was all the way up against the barricade so the sound was a bit off. im not sure if it was like this in the whole auditorium, but up front it was almost impossible to hear them singing, let alone jack talking. Although i did manage to hear him say "this commercial break was brought to you by Jack motherfuckin White" which was pretty cool. The crowd at this show was the most unruly i have ever witnessed, as i saw maybe ten or fifteen people get pulled out of the crowd, often right over my head. I have bruises from being pushed up against the barricade by the masses behind me. Although there was a lot more energy from this crowd than at most other l.a. shows, it was taken to a bit of an extreme

#6 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:40 AM

thanks for filling us in, sorry about your motherfucking knee Elixir_Sue. look forward to the rest of your review tommorow (sweet dreams!)

* waits for youtube clips of Jack motherfucking swearing to show up*

#7 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:59 AM

* waits for youtube clips of Jack motherfucking swearing to show up*

Now, just why do we find that so entertaining? Something to ponder while we wait for E_S's review and some videos to show up.

Glad to hear your knee was protected, E_S!

#8 tubezipper

tubezipper

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:40 AM

That was a weird show. It didnt seem very professional. They just sort of walked on stage and goofed around a bit before they finally got down and started playing 60 feet tall. i was one of the few selected from the vault for early access, and man was the security unorganized. No one knew what was going on. The show was alright. I was all the way up against the barricade so the sound was a bit off. im not sure if it was like this in the whole auditorium, but up front it was almost impossible to hear them singing, let alone jack talking. Although i did manage to hear him say "this commercial break was brought to you by Jack motherfuckin White" which was pretty cool. The crowd at this show was the most unruly i have ever witnessed, as i saw maybe ten or fifteen people get pulled out of the crowd, often right over my head. I have bruises from being pushed up against the barricade by the masses behind me. Although there was a lot more energy from this crowd than at most other l.a. shows, it was taken to a bit of an extreme

who said rock and roll was professional?

anyway i do get what you're saying as i had a similar experience at the london show. I was right at front/dead center, and the sound wasnt too good.

#9 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,058 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:18 AM

Oh no, crowds like that such. Sorry to hear this.

#10 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:24 AM

Now, just why do we find that so entertaining? Something to ponder while we wait for E_S's review and some videos to show up.

Glad to hear your knee was protected, E_S!

Ha ha! I dont know why I like it.... lol... I dont know why I like it when he loses his cool and throws something or knocks over stuff either, but I do...

My link here is some banter, no swearing but its fun anyway.

#11 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:05 AM

Because the motherfucker used to be a bit motherfuckin' reserved and conservative, I mean he was one restrained motherfucker who refrained from running his motherfuckin' mouth and appearing unfriendly to those motherfuckin' kids. So suddenly he starts this motherfucker of a band where all the motherfuckin bets are off and he's now this badass rock n roll motherfucker who swears like a motherfucker, plays like a motherfucker and even has a motherfuckin drink like a motherfucker. It's like seeing your motherfucking parents swear when your a motherfucking kid, it's kind a thrilling, to hear your motherfucking idols tell it like it motherfucking is. Bottom line is he is one cool motherfucker and The Dead Weather ain't for those feint-of-heart motherfuckers, that motherfuckin' candy cane child innocence has left the motherfucking building. Goddamn, they pissed on that motherfucker Suzy Lee's grave. Metaphorically speaking of course.... you motherfucker.

#12 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:32 AM

I just almost choked trying to hold in an explosive burst of laughter at work and had to disguise it with a fit of sneezing and coughing. Now I'm sitting here trying to think of some witty comment to reply with and I just can't do it. There's nothing anyone can add to that. Bravo, sir. Bravo.

#13 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

Well thank you. I'd like to see what would happen if I posted that in the White Stripes section.

#14 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

Certain folks might call you a motherfucker.

Edited by Kali Durga, 22 July 2010 - 09:12 AM.

#15 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

Well thank you. I'd like to see what would happen if I posted that in the White Stripes section.

Posted Image Nooooo dont do it! dont do it!

#16 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:27 AM

Certain folks might call you a motherfucker.

There's your witty response right there. :lol:

#17 Elixir_Sue

Elixir_Sue

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:21 AM

That was indeed a weird show. I enjoyed it, but I'm going to have to rate it as "differently enjoyable".

I'd seen Harlem supporting TDW in San Diego two days before and I thought they were good. They have an energetic retro sound that reminds me a bit of The Ramones and a lot of The Jam, but with nice clear 60s punk and R&B vocals over the top. Today was a different story. They played about four similar songs, endlessly tuning and talking between them. The sound at the Palladium is bad, and I couldn't tell what they were talking about. Possibly others couldn't tell either, or maybe it was just boring because most of the crowd didn't respond to the music or the banter. Eventually, one of the singers said, "We should have brought airplane pillows for you guys to rest your heads on." All right, I guess four musicians, or was it three, I didn't count, can't be wrong. Instead four thousand people in the audience must be wrong. They played some other low-battery tunes and eventually one of them said, "Hey, Palladium, is it because we're a tiny little band that doesn't matter?" In front of me one woman was doing wrist stretches and another was looking through baby pictures on her phone. Then they tried the never-fail opening band standby, "Is anybody here excited about the Dead Weather?" LA knows manipulative speech when it hears it and didn't respond. Then they had a prolonged sotto voce discussion about what they were going to play last. One of them suggested rock and roll, but another recommended "the opposite of rock and roll". So they finished on a slow number and left quietly.

Then behatted suited men arrived and started arranging familiar things around the stage. Jack's Sam Kay drum set, half a dozen gorgeous guitars, boot-scuffed monitors. Behind Jack's stool was a Jacob's Ladder, staple of Frankenstein films. The young men behind me hadn't ever seen one before, although when I briefly explained it, they immediately saw the similarity to a Tesla coil, so Jack is certainly helping improve the education in this country when it comes to Steampunk physics. On top of four of the lighting towers were blue-horned animal busts. During the support act they were covered up. One of the roadies (?) came to the front of the stage, took a bow, and took off the cover of each one in turn while getting screamed at. This struck me as really weird.

For the first time I've seen, instead of going straight from Beefheart to racket to into 60 Feet Tall, or other chosen opener, they messed around. Jack walked to the front with his hat on, ostentatiously popped a champagne cork and chucked it into the crowd. He pouted his way over to Alison, handed her the bottle, got behind his kit and then the band went into 60 Feet Tall. The crowd erupted like a BP deep-sea oil well with an inoperative blowout preventer, and there was no chance to take notes, no chance to even stay on my feet. Between and during songs there were at least three rants from Jack. No idea what they were about, the sound still being terrible. I asked the guy behind me about one, and he said, "Something about the governor and money". The words "motherfucking" and "goddamn" featured prominently. For You Just Can't Win, Jack was helped to the front of the stage by an old bearded guy dressed as a roadie -possibly someone famous I've never heard of and/or Alison in drag or something - and held up swaying for a moment like James motherfucking Brown before singing the song straight, except for "down to motherfucking Birmingham" instead of the usual line. I'm pretty sure I didn't dream that. But it feels like I must have.

By the middle of the set, I got out of there. Two tall skinny cumstains managed to force their way that deep into the crowd, squashed the young woman in front of me and stood there with their cameras. One held it with her hand against her shoulder when not in use so the lit white screen was covering my view of the stage and blinding me at the same time. The crowd was pushing so hard - not moshing, just pushing - that I was lifted off the floor and my ribs were getting crushed. The squashed girl in front of me baled - and I'd promised her she was going to have a good time seeing this band, too. Another strong, fit-looking woman gave up then, so I also made my way to the back, limped up to the balcony and watched the band from a distance. The sound was poor there, but not as bad as in the auditorium. I still couldn't hear what Jack was saying. At least I could watch Alison, who had hair the size of a B1 bomber (and it stayed that way - she must have solved her 'whole can of hairspray" problem).

I stood next to the mixing desk at one point and watched the lighting man. He had a mixer almost as big as the sound guy's, with lots of sliders and knobs and sequencers. His fingers danced and I really admired him - his instrument looked at least as difficult as the musicians' instruments. When one song finished, he jumped back and shouted "Fuck yeah!" completely in the moment. That was great.
Setlists and confirmation that the hatted bearded guy exists outside my imagination will have to come from elsewhere.

On the way home down the lovely I5, my mp3 player shuffled up Grace Jones' My Jamaican Guy, followed it with something else and then Kid 'n' Play's Undercover, which samples the main riff of My Jamaican Guy. Sometimes it's like it knows it's doing this. :)

#18 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

Lordie, I cannot wait for videos of this show. I don't think I'm sorry I missed it, but I would like to see some of it.

Hope you survived in one piece, E_S. Have you taken inventory yet?

#19 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

http://www.youtube.c...er/musicayarte8
not to bad
http://www.youtube.com/user/Guxx24

#20 ACE10

ACE10

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

Just got back to Sac, drove over 700 miles roundtrip for the show. Gotta sleep so i'll post more later. Elixir_Sue's review was excellent as usual. A few times during WTBEW Allison and Jack squared off and slowly made their way toward each other as they softly sang together off the mic. It was like watching some kind of intense, musical mating ritual. Jack's guitar was on fire during his solos. So awesome. Sounded like Jack introduced the bearded guy as Ulysses S. Grant and went on a f bomb rant about not disrepecting Ulysses S. Grant, or something like that lol.
Later, Jack came off stage and played at the barrier and everybody surged forward of course. Never seen Jack do that with the Dead Weather so that was pretty cool. Think it was during I Can't Hear You. The crowd was crazy down front and it got hot, sweaty and hectic down there fast. My feet were often off the ground as well. I didn't see that coming because the crowd at the Mayan last year were rather apathetic. People just talked and played with their phones the whole show. I much prefer the madness of last night to that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users