44 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:57 AM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc., in this thread only please. Thanks, and enjoy the show!

#2 jeejet

jeejet

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:17 AM

Happy Bastille Day & Happy White Stripes Day to all of you lucky bastards who get to see the show tonight! If it's half as good as last night you will be very very happy! :)

#3 the whitevines

the whitevines

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

did anyone get early entry to the show? I havent heard back, and I am not going unless I get it.

#4 Voodoo_Child

Voodoo_Child

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

I'm going! I can't wait. I really hope I get early entry. I'm not going to be posting any photos, but I'll post a setlist if i remember and a review!

#5 Blindwillie

Blindwillie

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

How do you go about getting early entry? I think I had it to the last DW show in Boston but I cant remember how I got it

#6 Voodoo_Child

Voodoo_Child

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:45 PM

This show was amazing! So electric, So intense, sooooooooo good! Unfortunately I cannot remember the setlist. I remember they started with No Horse and ended with TMLYM, everything in between was awesome just can't remember what songs in what order. But the best part is yet to come.......................I GOT ONE OF JACKS STICKS!!! It flew over my head and some people fumbled around with it and it ended up landing right infront of me. I grabbed it and stuffed it in my shirt. I loved the light show and the background. The giant blue eye was creepily awesome.

Anyways, besides a few lame older people who got mad at us from jumping around, it was an incredible show. I mean c'mon, Its a concert for crying out loud. Best concert I've been to.

Also, some guy offered me $20-30 for the stick.....yea right.

#7 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:50 PM

jump up jump up and get funky! :lol:

#8 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

ohhh they started with No horse? did they ever do that before? cool. * goes to check youtube already*

like you would sell the stick for $20,, ha!

#9 Hautegeisha

Hautegeisha

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:12 AM

Congrats on the stick! It was an absolute blast tonight and everyone had all around amazing energy. My only problem was some of the out of control jumping/flailing around. Like, I totally don't mind that stuff at all and I think it's awesome that people are that into it. Hell, I did my own bouncing and fistpumping, but when my friend got hit in the face three times and I almost fell a bunch of times as well? Not cool. Aside from that? So amazing. I had goosebumps driving all the way back. Also, I was really happy to see so many younger people there tonight. Good to see all of you guys are rocking out to the good stuff these days!

#10 nofaithmed11

nofaithmed11

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:40 AM

• No Horse
  • Hang You from the Heavens
  • Bone House
  • 60 Feet Tall
  • You Just Can't Win
  • So Far from Your Weapon
  • I Cut Like a Buffalo
  • The Difference Between Us
  • I'm Mad
  • Hustle and Cuss
  • Looking at the Invisible Man
  • Die By the Drop
  • New Pony
  • Will There Be Enough Water?
    (Encore)
  • Jawbreaker
  • Blue Blood Blues
  • Treat Me Like Your Mother

My two friends and I left Rhode Island around 3:00 and hit torrential rain driving up, which was just incredibly fun. We ended up arriving in Boston around 10 after 5. After grabbing a bite to eat, we head to the venue around 6:15 and found that there was already a pretty decent line. However, it was short enough that we were able to get right up against the railing on the right side of the stage!

Harlem came on around 8:00. They reminded me a lot of the Black Lips, which I liked quite a bit - nice, short, fast songs with good energy. Vocals were very tight, and the bassist was especially impressive. Midway through their set, the guitarist and the drummer traded positions. The songs after the switch were not as good, as the drummer was not as good a frontman and the frontman was not as good a drummer, but they were still good, and they wrapped up around 8:30. They were the perfect opening act in three respects: their music was good, they engaged the audience and got them pumped, and they didn't overstay their welcome.

The following wait for the Dead Weather was ridiculous - 50 minutes!! I don't think I've ever waited that long for a headliner to come on. They teased us by turning the lights down for 5 seconds only to bring them back up. They pulled the same stunt with the house music as well. But finally, around 9:20, the lights went down for good and Captain Beefheart started playing over the speakers. The band came out and off they went...

"No Horse" was a very surprising opener, but it sounded VERY tight! A great way to kick off. "Heavens" and "Bone House" were both very good, albeit nothing incredibly spectacular. "60 Feet Tall" is just an absolutely monstrous live song...those opening hits are so unbelievably powerful. This arrangement was much looser and drawn out than the album version, and it was an early highlight. Surprised to hear "You Just Can't Win" again, as good as it was. Last year, Jack stayed behind the kit to sing the whole song, but tonight, he came up front to sing the first half of it by himself, which was awesome. I know he's done this many times before, but never having seen it, it was very cool.

"Weapon" was next, and was very good (it's one of my favorites off "Horehound" anyway), although at this point I was very confused as to why we'd only gotten one new song and 5 consecutive older ones. As Dean started improvising on the opening lick to "Buffalo," my confusion began to start up again, but then the song exploded. It's pretty funny, as "Buffalo" is one of my least favorite songs off the first album, but the performance tonight was so electrifying, so alive, so badass. I never thought I'd enjoy it this much, but the energy level and looseness of the band made it one of the best songs of the entire night!

They finally started delving into some newer stuff, starting with "Difference." The crowd REALLY seemed to enjoy this one, and it was a very good performance indeed. "I'm Mad" followed, which was just dripping with sex and intensity. I'm not being incredibly detailed right now because it's 2:30 in the morning and I'm completely wiped, but I really need to mention that Alison brought her A-game tonight, both in the vocal sense and the performer sense. There were probably at least 2 full songs tonight where I didn't even look in Jack's direction, I was just that enthralled by her stage presence.

She took a short break as the guys did "Invisible Man." It was a good performance, but in my mind, it's really just a subpar song no matter what, by far the least impressive from the new album. It doesn't seem to have a real melody or direction; it's like "Buffalo part 2," but less interesting. That being said, it sounded much better live. Alison arrived back onstage wearing a skin-tight leopard leotard, which was just fantastic ;) The next three songs - "Die By the Drop," "Pony," "Water" - were three of the best of the entire night. "Drop" managed to be even heavier than the album version, and the band was really into it. The performance of "Pony" far exceeded both the album version and the live version last year; they really make the song their own, and tonight, it was killer. And what's there to say about "Water" that hasn't been said already? It's the "Blue Veins," the "Ball and Biscuit." I've NEVER been as close to Jack as I was tonight, and to see him rip the solos in this song as close as I was, was like a dream come true. Mindblowing, just absolutely mindblowing. A great way to end the set.

"Jawbreaker" opened up the encore nicely, but "Blue Blood" was the real treat; it was quite possibly the best song of the night. The energy level from both the band and the crowd was never higher, the band was completely locked in, and the vocals were incredible. Pretty sure I got whiplash from rocking out on this one. "Mother" ended everything perfectly, complete with some great audience participation. And with that, they were gone.

I apologize again for the lack of detail here; it's just so late! But the main overview is this:
- The whole band was really locked in. Dean never fails to impress, Little Jack was cool as always, Alison was never better, and Jack was really letting loose. Great performances musically and vocally from all.
- The audience, at least in my area, was both respectful and appreciative. Lots of head bobbing, fist pumping, singing along, but no moshing or pushing. Jack and Alison both seemed pleased with us.
- The new songs blend in great with the old. "Blue Blood" was the best new, and either "Water" or "Buffalo" was the best old.
- The Dead Weather fucking rocked Boston, and hopefully, after Jack does tours with the Stripes and Raconteurs next, they will return to New England!

#11 JacquelineIII

JacquelineIII

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:07 AM

Thanks for the long review :)
any photos?

#12 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:07 AM

thanks for the long 2.30 in the morning review!

#13 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,684 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:37 AM

Great review! Very interesting that they played Invisible Man. I figured that wouldn't see the light of day again after the Nashville performance, but that's probably just because I agree with your assessment of the song. Subpar or not, though, it adds a cool touch of distinction to the show you experienced, along having with No Horse as an opener :)

#14 LonelyOrnateTear

LonelyOrnateTear

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:37 AM

#15 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,059 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:54 AM

nice, nice review nofaith. Thank-you for all of your words. I feel like I was in attendance.Posted Image

Thanks for the video LOT

Edited by kts1997, 15 July 2010 - 08:55 AM.

#16 jeejet

jeejet

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

Really glad to see that they are mixing up the set list - they played Gasoline in DC, but not Invisible Man...maybe I'll get to see that in Baltimore!

Great review - thanks! (nofaithmed11)

#17 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

great to hear they played Invisible Man and again thanks for the wonderful review :wub:

#18 flattop2001

flattop2001

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:01 PM

Taped this show yesterday, similar quality to last years HOB show I shared. Will get around to uploading in a week or so if nobody else has it...
Watch this space.

PS IMO best of the 7 DW shows I have seen.

#19 Voodoo_Child

Voodoo_Child

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

One thing I loved about the first few songs of this show is Jack kept muting his cymbals and instead of letting them go, he would fling them, causing them to fall over. It was hilarious watching the roadies circle the drum set tightening the cymbals. The roadie would fix one and go to the other and Jack would have knocked over the one he just fixed by the time he was done fixing the second. I laughed a couple times.

#20 Bluey

Bluey

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

Taped this show yesterday, similar quality to last years HOB show I shared. Will get around to uploading in a week or so if nobody else has it...

Excellent news :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users