64 replies to this topic

#21 jeejet

jeejet

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

So loud. So amazing. So much energy. So much tighter than last summer.

Ditto to everything Izzy just said. Fucking awesome.

Oh, and I got THIS close to getting Jack's pick for the second time in a row...last summer I got elbowed in the face by some fangirl as I was reaching for it. Third time's a charm, I hope.

We must have been standing close - I was like 3 people away from where the pick went - no one caught it! - bunch of girly girls! and then someone was crawling around on the floor using their cell phone as a light to find it!

Incredible, amazing show!!!!!

I do agree about the sound mixing on the voices - they were turned down way too low for my taste. Sometimes when the crowd was singing along I could barely hear the voices from the stage. Don't get me wrong - I love a good sing along, but I would rather hear Alison and Jack singing than some dude from Crofton! :lol:

Also, I always wear earplugs and it was still WAY loud. I loved that the crowd got so into it - many times the DC crowd just stands there.

I am SO glad that we get to see them again in Baltimore....

Met some little roomers too - which I always like!

#22 therover

therover

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:20 AM

Great show. Much better than last year's at the 9:30 club. Setlist above is correct e xcept Hustle and Cuss was after I'm Mad and Die By The Drop was before New Pony.

#23 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,786 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:22 AM

Just a few more brief observations:

- The audience reaction when roadies pulled the covers off of three animal busts mounted around the stage cracked me up. Who knew there were so many taxidermy fans in D.C.? ;)

- Alison is incredibly skinny. I hadn't noticed before just how skinny.

- Rolling In On a Burning Tire is a cool song, but perhaps a bit too slow for a DW show. Or maybe I just need to learn the lyrics so I can sing along next time.

- The chemistry between this band is fascinating to watch. There was one moment, don't recall during which song, when Jack was staring intently at Dean playing guitar, who was staring intently at LJ playing his bass, who was grooving with his eyes closed. And Alison was in the middle of them all just doing her thing.

- There were setlists taped to the floor, but the band does seem to be trying to mix it up. There were a couple of quick conferences at the drums, one of which preceded Rolling, which Jack intro'd as being played per Baby Ruthless' request.

- Jack needs to stop teasing us by having Veronica set up on the stage if he's not going to let her sing.

#24 jeejet

jeejet

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

I freaked out when they played Gasoline - it made my night! Other than the band being smokin' hot on fire.....:)

#25 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,786 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

Could the Washington Post be any more half-assed? First their flubbed review of the Montreux show, and now this bit of fluff--First take: The Dead Weather at 9:30 Club

Of course it started with a drum fill -- a demonstrative rumble that rivaled the thunderclaps that peeled across Washington skies earlier that evening. It sounded like thunkity-thunkity-thwack, but it screamed, "Look at me, look at me, look at me!"

That's because the drummer was Jack White, the eccentric White Stripes frontman, moonlighting behind the drums in his auxiliary group, the Dead Weather.

The foursome kicked off its summer tour at the 9:30 Club in righteous form Tuesday, but with White rarely ceding the spotlight to his band mates: guitarist/keyboardist Dean Fertita, bassist Jack Lawrence and frontwoman Alison Mosshart.

Give a peacock some drum sticks, and you still have a peacock. Good thing this peacock knows how to make such intoxicating rock-n-roll.

What peacock? Jack wasn't wearing his feathered hat.

#26 soberstripe

soberstripe

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

Here is a longer review of the same journalist (some good pictures): http://blog.washingt...ml?hpid=artslot

I also don't agree and I think its kinda insulting to the other band members who obviously put just as much energy in the show.

Thank you, again, LaFemme for letting me be your plus 1!

#27 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,786 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

Here is a longer review of the same journalist (some good pictures): http://blog.washingt...ml?hpid=artslot

I also don't agree and I think its kinda insulting to the other band members who obviously put just as much energy in the show.

Like that reviewer, my attention was on Jack throughout the show. But unlike that reviewer, I didn't see him do anything to intentionally draw attention away from LJ, Dean, or Alison. Even for me, Alison's stage presence is hard to ignore. And LJ and Dean have their own more subtle flourishes on stage that are apparent when you watch them (which I didn't do last night but have done in videos). Seems the commenters there are on to something in saying the reviewer's got some issue with Jack's stage persona. I saw no "preening" or "basking", lots of other drummers twirl their drumsticks, and the leaping to his feet between songs is obviously the result being unable to sit still for more than 3 and a half minutes ;)

Edited by Kali Durga, 14 July 2010 - 03:29 PM.

#28 carfreak01

carfreak01

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

AMAZING show! Too many highlights to even mention but like other people have said it was LOUD and I was glad I was wearing earplugs.

This had to have been the best Jack-related show I've ever seen. The band was flawless and they make it look so easy. Allison's 'death glare' is mesmerizing and it's hard not to stare at her for the entire show. Jack went ballistic on guitar and I'm pretty sure he added a couple verses to 'Will There Be Enough Water' to solo some more. I never realized before but LJ had his eyes closed almost the entire show, weird, but he rocked out a whole lot too.

I'm sure I saw some of you there but didn't know. I was near the front at the right where the guy was searching for the pick on the floor, next to two guys (one of them was really tall) who I overheard that were obviously big fans (talking about the acoustic and the black guitar etc). I was the one who committed the concert no-no of wearing my gray Dead Weather shirt I'd just bought, so if you saw that guy it was me.

I could tell the band were blown away by the crowd reaction and so was I. You could feel it in the air, everyone knew that was a great show.

#29 soberstripe

soberstripe

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

Exactly. So what Jack drummed rolled. Dean had solos, Alison had screaming fits. They are stage performers! Thats what they are supposed to do.

#30 Spamber

Spamber

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

How early have they been notifying people for early entry?

#31 jeejet

jeejet

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

What a stupid review in the Post!

I wonder if the reviewer was up in the press box because I've seen shows from up there and you can really miss out on the floor vibe - that said, I don't think there was any denying the amazing vibe that the whole place had! And how insulting to everyone else in the band - LJ and Dean especially. I though the entire band was incredible.

#32 lmholot

lmholot

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:11 PM

Finally getting the hearing back in my left ear (I was on the rail right in front of Dean)

Will post pictures later....Josh, Chris, Hank--what a night! It was a blast hanging out with you all!!!

#33 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,786 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:20 PM

And another review. This one seems to more closely match the show we all actually saw than the Post's-- Spin: The Dead Weather Kick Off Club Tour in D.C.

Except that they confused Alison with LJ in mentioning who filled in on drums :lol:

#34 tubezipper

tubezipper

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

haha mosshart filling in on drums

i'd honestly love that!

#35 cscott04

cscott04

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:09 PM

hey I was curious who did the poster for this show and what it looked like does anyone have pics or info?

#36 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,187 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

Finally getting the hearing back in my left ear (I was on the rail right in front of Dean)

Will post pictures later....Josh, Chris, Hank--what a night! It was a blast hanging out with you all!!!

Hey L!!! So glad that you got to another show and DC is so much fun. See you in a town soon Posted Image

#37 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

and the leaping to his feet between songs is obviously the result being unable to sit still for more than 3 and a half minutes ;)

Haha!

and. wow. that review wasn't very objective. somebody spent more time not liking Jack than feeling the music.
I went through and counted...there are only three paragraphs that don't say something negative next to the word "white" lol!
I mean, sure, reviewers go to lots of shows and maybe get jaded, and don't want to sound like fawning fan boys/girls, nothing wrong with pointing out negative part to a show,
but there was hardly anything in that review about the rest of the show. atmosphere? decor? crowd involvement? feeling? the lighting which is much more complicated than a spotlight on Jack, changing color with the music and sometimes blinding the audience or making Jack invisible..
I don't understand why you would bother to call someone who entertains people on a stage for a living a peacock, we don't go to the shows to see him up there looking shy, would probably riot if he didn't come forward, and even wish he played at least one more up front song (old Mary)
This guy must have had a pretty good spot to be able to see every move Jack made, from the crowd it is quite difficult to see Jack at all until he stands up.

thats funny that the other review mixed up Alison and LJ, my 3 year old doesn't even get them confused anymore since LJ grew a beard.

#38 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,786 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

...my 3 year old doesn't even get them confused anymore since LJ grew a beard.

Not to mention the fact that LJ's hair is so much smoother than Alison's! ;)

#39 Mike53421

Mike53421

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

Apparently they play at 9:15 tomorrow night in Toronto, how long did the show last in Washington? I'm contemplating catching a midnight screening of Inception. 8-)

#40 Little Jellybee

Little Jellybee

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:48 AM

more reviews
http://www.spin.com/...ck-club-tour-dc

http://www.expressni...live-review.php

Edited by Little Jellybee, 15 July 2010 - 02:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users