18 replies to this topic

#1 joelalich

joelalich

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:38 AM

to get a good view of the band... which row should I tape from? I dont have many options for a camera... how long is each show? my video camera can only hold 60 minutes of footage. I have a flip video camera... should I bring spare batteries? once i tape this show... i'll upload it on the trading forums for every body. I'll seperate the songs track by track... and I will also rip the audio from my video.

Thanks in advance,

JL

#2 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

their shows are usually between an hour and an hour 15 so you will be cutting it a little close, as for batteries though, you might want to bring a spare for sure. I can't see you running of batteries that quickly but it never hurts to be prepared for the unexpected ;) The closer to the center you can get the better, and obviously avoid zooming in a ton if you don't have a steady hand like me, looks like someone set the camera on top of a washing machine when I try that :lol:
Good luck, thanks for this and have a hell of a time :P

#3 joelalich

joelalich

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

their shows are usually between an hour and an hour 15 so you will be cutting it a little close, as for batteries though, you might want to bring a spare for sure. I can't see you running of batteries that quickly but it never hurts to be prepared for the unexpected ;) The closer to the center you can get the better, and obviously avoid zooming in a ton if you don't have a steady hand like me, looks like someone set the camera on top of a washing machine when I try that :lol:
Good luck, thanks for this and have a hell of a time :P

thanx man

#4 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

Ahh man, you should tape that show. Cause... I'm going!

If you want the whole show you'll need two tapes. Cause it won't just be an hour (As previously said).

You could switch tapes during the encore, I take it you got balcony seats? cause if not, it'll be a bitch to record the show in the general admission unless you're on the rail (which will be tough) or in the back.

#5 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:32 PM

flip is internal memory, right? You might be able to slightly adjust the quality of the recording to the second to best setting a get that extra 15 or 20 minutes that you need, that would be my only guess, never had the chance to mess with one myself - hope someone else does an audio recording as well as most of the videos I've seen look great but the sound leaves a little something to be desired unfortunately *shrugs* hope that's not the case here though :P

#6 Renfield

Renfield

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:28 AM

Last year I shot a couple concerts with a Flip 120 HD camera (you can see most of my Dead Weather footage here, as well as some other random stuff) and the only suggestion I can make is to bring plenty of extra batteries, the higher-quality the better. Although it hasn't been an issue recently I had to change the batteries every 10-15 minutes at the first concert I shot with this camera, which was a pain in the ass and compromised the footage pretty severely. Also, spastic.jerk is right about the zoom.; unless you're using a tripod don't bother adjusting it while you're filming 'cause it's going to look shaky and awful. Your best bet is to use the opening bands to establish a comfortable angle & zoom level to shoot from, and stick to that. Once TDW take the stage it might be tricky to adjust. Lastly, the best place to tape from varies from venue to venue. When I shot TDW last November the venue had a nice raised section on either side of the main floor which had a pretty excellent view of the stage, so rather than fight to get to the front of the floor I wound up shooting from the right side while leaning on a railing. It worked out well but like I said, every venue is different. If you can find a seating chart or diagram of the venue ahead of time that'll help tremendously. And also take into account whether the venue is general admission or seated 'cause these shows can get kinda rowdy and that makes filming harder.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing the footage you get :)

#7 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:10 AM

thanks Ren was hoping that someone with your type of knowledge would come along and help out :wub:

#8 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

And I always thought it was smart to tape near the soundboard?

#9 TheMaunderers

TheMaunderers

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

OH i'm goin to this its on my birthday :)

THIS'LL BE A FANTASTIC PRESENT. :D thanks!!

#10 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

Does anyone know the seating for this show? I've seen charts and all, but I mean, is the whole show General Admission? I know my tickets are for General Admission Main Floor through the Pre-sale.

#11 TheMaunderers

TheMaunderers

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:35 AM

^Yeah the whole venue is GA even the balcony. Costs more for balcony, but you can pick where you sit. I'm totally on floor though. After being so far away from the racs at the fillmore i realized i love being close.

#12 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

^Yeah the whole venue is GA even the balcony. Costs more for balcony, but you can pick where you sit. I'm totally on floor though. After being so far away from the racs at the fillmore i realized i love being close.

I see, so the balcony is GA, but you buy GA balcony tickets. That makes sense. Well mine are GA main floor, so i'll definitely be on the floor. Coming in from out of town, so I may not be super close to the front tho. The Fillmore isn't huge tho, and the floor looks like it has levels, so is there really a bad view at all from the floor?

#13 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,111 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

The Fillmore is a beautiful venue and the sound ( I think) is very good. The floor is graduated so that if you are not on the floor, you can get a really good spot on one of the upper levels.

This tape will most likely be killer.

#14 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:34 PM

This tape will most likely be killer.

when it's not hard to get a good view it usually helps a lot :P Good luck with taping btw joe :D

#15 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

Anyone got any tips on where to park at The Fillmore, is there a lot? I'm coming here my first time, not sure what to expect.

#16 Spamber

Spamber

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:42 AM

Anyone got any tips on where to park at The Fillmore, is there a lot? I'm coming here my first time, not sure what to expect.

It looks as though there's a large parking lot across the street and one right behind the venue as well. What time are you showing up?

#17 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:48 AM

Well, I hope I get early entry. If not, I haven't decided. Not real early, Im driving in from outta town, about 5 hours from Detroit.

#18 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

Well, I hope I get early entry. If not, I haven't decided. Not real early, Im driving in from outta town, about 5 hours from Detroit.

have a safe drive and good luck with early entry ;)

#19 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

have a safe drive and good luck with early entry ;)

Thanks! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users