#1 le styler

le styler

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

539w.jpg

Four years ago, we lost a unique but widely unknown talent. Mark Linkous (or better known as Sparklehorse) struggled most of his life with depressions and sadly lost this painful and exhausting battle on March 6, 2010. Though he ended his life on this tragic day, his music still remains. And I would ask everyone who is not familiar with his music to give it a go.

There is a beautiful sadness in all of Mark’s works. His poetry was surreal and poignant. A dreamlike quality permeated most of his songs. Dying instruments and distorted vocals made up the skeleton of his music and he fleshed it out with lyrics about rusting landscapes and the little things and gave his creations vigor with his unique sense for production. His music is as traditional as it is alien. 

He is one of only a few musicians I ever obsessed about. First it was the White Stripes, then Modest Mouse and now Sparklehorse. Through him I got exposed to the music of Daniel Johnston, Vic Chestnutt, Mercury Rev, Guided by Voices, Grandaddy, Cracker, and was inclined to pay more attention to PJ Harvey, Cat Power, Tom Waits and Camper Van Beethoven, among many others, as well as the works of West Virginian writers Pinckney Benedict and Breece D’J Pancake. He was an artist’s artist, respected by his peers and collaborated with most of the aforementioned musicians.

So, whoever took time to read this and maybe listened to a song or two, I hope you liked what you heard.

And whoever is familiar with his music (I know there’s a user named goodmorningspider around here), please share your thoughts on Mark, your favorite Sparklehorse songs or let's celebrate his life together.

#2 le styler

le styler

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

Here's two more songs:

#3 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

Missed this thread until now, but oddly i had a moment yesterday where I was thinking about a show of their's I saw several years ago, and realised with a jolt that it was the last, and would forever be the last Sparklehorse show I saw. I'd forgotten for a minute that he was gone. 

I was 12 in '98 when Good Morning Spider was released. My Dad bought it and I guess I just heard it around the house and started listening to it endlessly. I would always skip 'Pig', and it was several years before I realised how great that track is! I had the pleasure of meeting him once briefly as a starstruck teenager. A very quiet but lovely guy.

Sparklehorse, along with the White Stripes, R.E.M., Eels and a few others are woven into the fabric of my very being - those bands that you grow up with, but never grow out of. 

And my Dad still insists on Happy Man being played at his funeral. 

RIP Mark. 

http://youtu.be/Sl0e3e1hU1U

#4 le styler

le styler

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

So great, that you got to see Sparklehorse live. I was awfully late to the party. I discovered Mark's music through a best-of-the-decade-list that Isaac Brock (frontman of Modest Mouse) made and it had It's A Wonderful Life on it. I fell in love with it instantly. Every song was great. And then I got his other records, which were just as great. Good Morning Spider is my favorite though. But all of his records are great in their own way. Pig is one hell of a song.

I hope this will someday become a reality:

#5 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

Holy shit, I had no idea that that was in the making. Wish I'd known while the campaign was running.

And wtf is Matthew Wright doing in there?! :lol: Of all the people I would ever expect to be in a documentary about Sparklehorse, he is so incredibly NOT one of them! So random. 

Love that Isaac Brock is a Sparklehorse fan. Need a new MM album, like, pronto. 

#6 le styler

le styler

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:37 AM

I'm not sure, but I guess you could still contact Alex Crowton, if you want to support the making of the film. There's also a tribute album in the works right now with contributions from The Flaming Lips, Dinosaur Jr., Jason Lytle (Grandaddy), and many more. https://www.indiegog...to-mark-linkous

I don't even know who Matthew Wright is.  :D

The list that Isaac Brock made was actually pretty good, it even had De Stijl on it. Yeah, I don't know what's taking them so long. It's already 7 years since the last album. Last year they cancelled their whole Europe tour to focus on the new album and promised they will be back this year with the new record. I hope they keep their promise.

#7 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

Matthew Wright is a UK tv presenter of a morning news/call-in show that discusses daily newspapers and topical issues! So yeah, pretty damn random :D

Wow, looks like that album is being suddenly delayed by the Linkous estate. Wonder what their issue is with it? I'm never sure about tribute albums. It's great that they've raised all that money, but usually the covers are just not as good as the originals. 

#8 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

I'm never sure about tribute albums. It's great that they've raised all that money, but usually the covers are just not as good as the originals. 

so true

thanks for posting this stuff, le styler, I enjoyed listening to it! come around more often, why dontcha :)

#9 le styler

le styler

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

Matthew Wright is a UK tv presenter of a morning news/call-in show that discusses daily newspapers and topical issues! So yeah, pretty damn random :D

Wow, looks like that album is being suddenly delayed by the Linkous estate. Wonder what their issue is with it? I'm never sure about tribute albums. It's great that they've raised all that money, but usually the covers are just not as good as the originals. 

Ah okay, I didn't know that. Like you said, it seems pretty random, but I guess even tv presenter can have a good taste in music.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But since some of my favorite bands are signed to the project, I thought it might be worth checking out. :)

so true

thanks for posting this stuff, le styler, I enjoyed listening to it! come around more often, why dontcha :)

I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It's true, I haven't posted around here in a long time, but I could get used to it again. 

#10 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

I fell down a rabbit hole of Little Room nostalgia tonight and ended up in this thread. Then remembered about this wonderful article and thought this would be a good place to post it so that it's not lost forever in the depths of my Facebook timeline. 

I forgive Pitchfork every clickbaity thing they've ever done for writing this. 

http://pitchfork.com...s-mark-linkous/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users