154 replies to this topic

#21 DougieZero

DougieZero

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:00 PM

Well, the new hotness is that he blasted DJ Khaled... It reads more like a casual comment, but the clickbait headers make it sound like it was a press release.

I don't mind the quip about the White Stripes either. I think Meg was last seen at a bar in Royal Oak and has retired from music. He rode the myth and aesthetics of the whole sister/brother band thing for a long time, but now is looking in the camera and admitting he did everything (Duh?). I remember when he claimed Meg was the most important aspect of the band and ran everything (in a spiritual sense?).

He is flexing his muscles a bit... I mean... He sold out Little Caesars Arena is a few minutes.

#22 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,681 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:48 PM

Read it.  Decent interview.  Though I can imagine some clickbaity headlines...

"Jack White compares himself to Michelangelo", etc.

I couldn't refrain from posting comments at a few sites with headlines claiming that "Jack White is covering a song written by Al Capone".  Drives me fucking batty that they can't even re-hash stuff accurately. 

#23 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

"Jack White idolizes gangsters and his entire tour will be Eddie Van Halen covers!"

Of course, because they attached the pronoun "she" to his comments about nurses, you know how the Twitter Mafia will respond...

"JACK WHITE HATES WOMEN, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY STOP HIM FROM MANSPLAINING HIS PAIN!!"

Edited by J.C., 13 March 2018 - 10:29 PM.

#24 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,853 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:25 PM

The only thing of interest to me is a 23 lb. scrapbook made by 15,000 crazy people. FABULOUS!!!

#25 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:41 AM

"...saggish discography..."

What the heck does "saggish" mean?  LOL.

So I gather this is probably going to be a polarizing record, that may very well be looked upon more fondly in retrospect.  But given how many critically-praised albums I've encountered in recent years that barely registered with me at all, and how well I've responded to at least three of the four thus-far-released tracks (I'm a bit lukewarm on Connected, though I want to hear it live), methinks I'll enjoy it.

Edited by J.C., 14 March 2018 - 04:43 AM.

#26 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:00 PM

By far my favourite part of the RS interview:

"I run as fast as humanly possible, for short bursts." It's my turn to laugh. "It's true! I do! I'll run at top fuckin' speed . . . on a treadmill. I can't run outside. It's too dangerous to run that fast outside with rocks and shit, I'll probably break an ankle. But whatever the top speed on the treadmill, I'll go. For short bursts. So I don't have a heart attack or some shit."

:lol: 

#27 I-75 Boogie

I-75 Boogie

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:06 PM

If the White Stripes were ostensibly a Jack White solo project, why are they infinitely better than anything Jack has done since then?  I don't know how he intended the comment, but I think it would be better for everyone (himself, Meg, the music industry at large, and especially Candy Cane Children who still miss them) if he talked up Meg's contributions.  We all know he is a great musician and a cool guy and an interesting person.  He doesn't need to build his legend any more; spread the benevolence.  Let us keep our White Stripey memories. 

#28 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:11 PM

"Infinitely better" is very much a matter of opinion.  There's no Metacritic grade for The White Stripes' first two albums, but his two solo albums (an 83 and 80, respectively) got similar acclaim to most of the other TWS releases (White Blood Cells 86, GBMS and Icky Thump 80).  Elephant, at a 91, is the only album, review-wise, that towers above the rest.  But it's true that many artists do some of their most vital work early in their career.  Jack gave plenty of -- perhaps even too much -- credit to Meg in past years.  This may just be the inevitable counterbalance to all of that.

Edited by J.C., 14 March 2018 - 11:20 PM.

#29 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,681 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:20 AM

From yesterday's Vault chat--

<William Runner> Idk Meg personally, but as a fan her contribution
was just as important as yours, and that isn’t meant to be offensive,
but I just feel that nothing that came out of the white stripes would
have worked had anyone else been on drums, you bring that music to life
still and I love it, solo, not solo, but she definitely deserves credit

<Jack White> @William Runner i've been telling people that for
years that that band is nothing without her, she didn't write the songs,
but the band had no magic without her

#30 I-75 Boogie

I-75 Boogie

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:43 AM

Kali, is a transcript of the Vault chat available anywhere (yes, I'm a Vault member)? 

Cheers.

#31 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:08 AM

I think her presence definitely softened Jack's edges, lyrically, at times.

#32 Monkhey

Monkhey

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

https://americansong...ng-house-reach/

I need to hear this asap.

#33 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,681 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:54 AM

Based on my two listens, I think I agree with everything said in that ^^ review.

Kali, is a transcript of the Vault chat available anywhere (yes, I'm a Vault member)? 

Cheers.

The snippet I posted is from Facebook, but I think I also saw it posted over at the White Swirl message board.

Edited by Kali Durga, 15 March 2018 - 11:57 AM.

#34 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:55 PM

American Songwriter can be pretty stingy with its grades, so a 9/10 from them is promising.

It's funny, though, how critics sometimes complain about not hearing anything new or risk-taking, but when they finally encounter something that fits the bill, they often don't know what to do with it.

Edited by J.C., 15 March 2018 - 09:56 PM.

#35 Monkhey

Monkhey

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:42 PM

American Songwriter can be pretty stingy with its grades, so a 9/10 from them is promising.

It's funny, though, how critics sometimes complain about not hearing anything new or risk-taking, but when they finally encounter something that fits the bill, they often don't know what to do with it.

So true. I feel like this album is going to get very mixed reviews. I have only heard the 4 songs but it seems like that way to me.

#36 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:39 PM

He's also at the stage in his career -- as that Rolling Stone interview noted -- where he and his work are most liable to be taken for granted.  But, overall, I'm just interested in the new shades the album will bring to his body of work.  And also how some of his previous work is going to sound with the new bandmates and instruments.

#37 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:46 AM

Here's an interview, though I'd encourage you to avoid the Comments section, as it's The Guardian website, where a disproportionate number of bitter and perpetually-negative people hang out.  

https://www.theguard...he-easy-way-out

Edited by J.C., 17 March 2018 - 01:07 AM.

#38 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,681 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:21 AM

Couple of things that've popped up--

If you're willing to jump through iHeart Radio's hoops to listen to it, this is an excellent five minute interview on Alt 98.7 --  https://www.iheart.c...rview-29084397/   I'm going try to record it tonight, but if anyone beats me to it I'd love to have an mp3  :)

Another excellent interview at monsterchildren (wtf?), in which he talks about the editing/mixing process of BHR --  http://www.monsterch...iew-jack-white/

And, off-topic but relevant, a great podcast I found about the condition of misophonia --  http://www.abc.net.a...ophonia/7864484

Thanks to Shaylee/Caseofthepunks for finding the interviews!

#39 Rooniedoo

Rooniedoo

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:46 AM

here Kali

Couple of things that've popped up--

If you're willing to jump through iHeart Radio's hoops to listen to it, this is an excellent five minute interview on Alt 98.7 --  https://www.iheart.c...rview-29084397/   I'm going try to record it tonight, but if anyone beats me to it I'd love to have an mp3  :)

Another excellent interview at monsterchildren (wtf?), in which he talks about the editing/mixing process of BHR --  http://www.monsterch...iew-jack-white/

And, off-topic but relevant, a great podcast I found about the condition of misophonia --  http://www.abc.net.a...ophonia/7864484

Thanks to Shaylee/Caseofthepunks for finding the interviews!

#40 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,681 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:02 AM

Oh, bless you!  Thanks for finding that  :)

I wanna see the glow-in-the-dark Pop Rocks on stage. Excellent idea from Henry.

Edited by Kali Durga, 21 March 2018 - 07:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users