Photo

May 24, 2012 - DETROIT, MI (matinee show @ Scottish Rite Theatre)

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

#2 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Seems it's the guys, opened with Black Math. God I'm having withdrawal symptoms! :(

#3 2crazikids

2crazikids

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

How on earth do you open with Black Math Jack? You can't blow their heads off right when the show starts... I guess he can if he wants.

#4 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

Blow their heads off at the beginning, at the end, in the middle... It's all the same to Jack.

#5 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,539 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

tim? where are you???

#6 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

Whooooooaaaa, it's a Cerberus eagle.

Posted Image

http://1.bp.blogspot...lent giants.jpg

#7 SuzyLee135

SuzyLee135

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

How on earth do you open with Black Math Jack? You can't blow their heads off right when the show starts... I guess he can if he wants.

Stripes used to open with Black Math quite a bit at one point, and yeah its indeed a great big whoa, hang on, let me get my feet moment in all the right ways (she says based off incessant bootleg listening :( )

#8 2crazikids

2crazikids

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

what's the eagle perched on?

#9 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

Harpoon gun...?

#10 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

I'm typing this with a phone, so please excuse typos or brevity! Yeah, they opened with Black Math, but that damn drummer! He can't just play the song, it's gotta be all bibbitty bobbitty boo. He kinda ruined any White Stripes songs. Jack seemed to alternate between sad, angry, bored, and impressed with himself. It's like he was in a bitchy mood. Maybe he's just a good actor! Anyway, this, of course, made for a hell of a concert. Why is Mandolin Guy even there? He was inaudible 98% of this show, and he's inaudible on the bootlegs. We've found the dead weight! Setlist... he didn't play anything unusual. Good mix of songs. I don't think he did any Raconteurs songs, interesting. The Rolly Store was out of everything, but I swiped a menu. I bought my Tour Singles, and I'll get TRE's at the evening show. That is the essence of things.

#11 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

Another photo from... guess where, just guess... eBay (where it's listed with a BIN of $4-freaking-hundred dollars)--

Posted Image

Didn't notice the top hat in the other photo.

#12 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,043 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

Yeah I think his drumming is a little too busy for WS songs, but he is fun to watch. Carla is a more tasteful drummer. Maybe you'll get her tonight.

#13 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

Why Tim ... you really are to be commended on helping the damsel in distress on this one... thank you kindly

As for that poster ... its a Silent Giants work and whomever just tossed that up on Ebay is blowin my mind right now

just as a note i think its an entirely different style of art that is kind of cool for Detroit folks... as for the Eagle perch

not a harpoon gun at all... actually its a turntable arm with a stylus on the end... total music reference... love it!

Edited by thee radical eclectic, 24 May 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#14 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

At this time, let us focus our attention to the fucking OBNOXIOUS DORK that I had to stand behind. Mid-to-late 40s, baseball cap, earplugs on a string, dipshitty shorts, white socks, shiny sneakers, red "Get Behind Me Satan" shirt. During song 3 I finally asked him, "Is it absolutely necessary that you have your arm up in the air the whole show?" He was one of those POINTERS. Every lyric he used as an excuse to point at Jack White like he was human punctuation. He was also a screamer. He screamed all the lyrics, sometimes into the face of his companion, who was behind me. Meaning, he screamed directly into my ear. He had gum in his pocket, and he farted twice. I hate him. I hope he dies before the evening show.

One more thing about the music, thanks to hyper drummer man, Hello Operator sounded like some frightening White Stripes apocalypse!

Edited by mittensonfire, 25 May 2012 - 01:31 AM.

#15 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

oh my... dying to escape the wrath of Tim might be the best option for the unlikely monster fan boy ... exit stage left!!!

#16 lunggwai

lunggwai

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

Love the poster!

#17 lunggwai

lunggwai

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

At this time, let us focus our attention to the fucking OBNOXIOUS DORK that I had to stand behind. Mid-to-late 40s, baseball cap, earplugs on a string, dipshitty shorts, white socks, shiny sneakers, red "Get Behind Me Satan" shirt. During song 3 I finally asked him, "Is it absolutely necessary that you have your arm up in the air the whole show?" He was one of those POINTERS. Every lyric he was an excuse to point at Jack White like he was human punctuation. He was also a screamer. He screamed all the lyrics, sometimes into the face of his companion, who was behind me. Meaning, he screamed directly into my ear. He had gum in his pocket, and he farted twice.

That's brutal.

Edited by lunggwai, 24 May 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#18 dazed22

dazed22

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

At this time, let us focus our attention to the fucking OBNOXIOUS DORK that I had to stand behind. Mid-to-late 40s, baseball cap, earplugs on a string, dipshitty shorts, white socks, shiny sneakers, red "Get Behind Me Satan" shirt. During song 3 I finally asked him, "Is it absolutely necessary that you have your arm up in the air the whole show?" He was one of those POINTERS. Every lyric he was an excuse to point at Jack White like he was human punctuation. He was also a screamer. He screamed all the lyrics, sometimes into the face of his companion, who was behind me. Meaning, he screamed directly into my ear. He had gum in his pocket, and he farted twice. I hate him. I hope he dies before the evening show.

One more thing about the music, thanks to hyper drummer man, Hello Operator sounded like some frightening White Stripes apocalypse!

You really don't like Live Concerts do you?

(pretty shitty experience though I might add)

#19 ck256

ck256

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

Back from the early show - not going to the late show - i scored 2 tix for $8 over face off craigslist this morning - guy followed all the way through and I had my tix at 1:30.

We skipped Duane after watching him on youtube this morning. Didn't miss much. I'm all for art - just not my style, sorry.

Buzzardo's came out - would have liked to see the Peacocks, but I could always go to the night show. I like their set better and they are nicer to look at (immaguy).

Opened with Black Math - kind of disjointed beginning and then they got it together. Sounds was "okay". I'm not used to seeing bands in small spaces like that, so that may have been the deal. Closed with Take me with you when you go - I don't have the order of the stuff in between, sorry.

Played a solid hour before break - then came back for another 15/20 minutes.

My first time seeing Jack White ever - it was impressive to see a couple times where the song was close to falling apart, but then comes roaring back. Also impressive just calling out the songs and hitting them.

Highlights for me: Seeing Ball and Biscuit live, Hardest Button, one song they just completely destroyed (in a good way) - Dead Leaves on piano. The other part is seeing Jack perform is that there are just these times when he's playing when it all comes together perfectly - howling guitar, huge beat, tempo pickup, where it's just perfect. Don't know how else to describe it.

Lowlights - Duane (sorry, that type of art isn't' for me), No chick band (i could go to the evening show), Jack seemed kinda tired, the sound.

All that said, I'm not complaining at all - I got to see one of my favorite artists live in a great setting.

The inside of the temple is cool - the hall is wicked - the outside neighborhood - scary, but that's probably just downtown Detroit these days.

Wicked show - bought 3 shirts and got a picture at the RRS - all in all - a perfect experience

#20 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

I'm pretty sure that Tim loves Live Concerts, he just doesn't like Giant Douchebags.

Tim, sounds like you, me, and Maya share similar opinions of the male drummer and the mandolin/harmonica player. What did you think of his backup vocals? I hope you get the female band tonight. I'd love to see what you think of them as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users