Photo

May 24, 2012 - DETROIT, MI (matinee show @ Scottish Rite Theatre)

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 r.reasi

r.reasi

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

My first time seeing Jack and although I willl always be impressed of his musicality he seemed uneven, like the energy would come and go. Highlights were dead leaves and cut like a buffalo. It's really too bad that the sound totally sucked becaue it was just a wall of sound and he only played for about 1hr 20 mins - too short for me because i still felt that the band had it in them to play longer. It seemed like this was a warm up for tonights evening show.

#22 kaputnik

kaputnik

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

Tim, sounds like you, me, and Maya share similar opinions of the male drummer and the mandolin/harmonica player.

Aren't you a fan of Old Crow Medicine Show?

#23 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

Aren't you a fan of Old Crow Medicine Show?

WHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT???

But seriously, yes. I am. Or I was. I haven't listened to them since Willie left.

#24 Conquest85

Conquest85

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

I've noticed a lot of complaints of the sound being muddy on this tour. Is this because of the venues he's been playing or his sound crew?

#25 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,043 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

WHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT???

But seriously, yes. I am. Or I was. I haven't listened to them since Willie left.

Cory Younts is Jack's mandolin player. I don't know if you knew that.

#26 roxxan23

roxxan23

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,865 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

So how was Duane?? Apparently some friends played with him today so I'm curious as to how that sounded!

And I have to say I sort of agree with Tim on Daru. He's obviously hugely talented and it's not like I want him to play the drums like Meg on those songs or anything, but he plays the songs like he's desperate to prove that he's not Meg...and it does not end up sounding good.

#27 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

Cory Younts is Jack's mandolin player. I don't know if you knew that.

Ah, I see. I haven't kept up with them since the lineup was Ketch, Willie, Morgan, Kevin, and either David Rawlings or Critter.

#28 SuzyLee135

SuzyLee135

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

but he plays the songs like he's desperate to prove that he's not Meg...and it does not end up sounding good.

Yes this is exactly how I feel about him, I really hope as the tour goes along he settles down a bit in this regard. Honestly though its not even just the Stripes songs, some of the solo album songs he throws unnecessary fills and stuff into and it all ends up feeling busy and off beat. Its a shame because at the moment its putting me off the guys sets quite a bit :(

#29 shockadow

shockadow

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

Jack White's Detroit show at Masonic Temple blends new tunes, gives nod to White Stripes

With a new batch of solo material — and a generous nod to his White Stripes repertoire for a hungry hometown crowd — Jack White struck a triumphant note this afternoon at the Masonic Temple.

In the Masonic’s cozy, comely Scottish Rite Cathedral, the returning Detroit native served up a fiery if quick 80-minute set in his first show here under a solo banner, joined by an agile five-piece band and a capacity crowd of 1,500.

It was an event we don’t see much anymore: a matinee rock performance, with a sellout evening gig still to come.

In some quarters, 2 p.m. is rock ’n’ roll wakeup time, and the event had an offbeat feel from the outset. With the sun blasting as fans streamed into the Masonic in shorts and tank tops, it felt like a playing-hooky sort of afternoon.

Inside was pure rock escape: Basked in a handsomely lit haze to match his powder-blue guitar, White and his five-piece, all-male band performed before a 20-foot backdrop crisply lined with his Third Man Records logo.

“Still alive and well, I see,” he said early on to the hometown crowd.

There was a loose, off-the-cuff quality to the performance, and drummer Daru Jones became White’s go-to partner for improvised rock catharsis, locking in for scorching blues-fueled heat on songs like “Ball and Biscuit.”

Familiar songs got renovations: The White Stripes’ “Hello Operator” became a kinetic, loose-limbed jam, complete with Fats Kiplins’ fiddle, which returned for the tight twists of the Dead Weather’s “I Cut Like a Buffalo.”

Pedal steel and mandolin adorned a romping cover of Hank Williams Jr.’s “You Know That I Know,” with White’s childhood friend — here billed as Dominic John Davis — on upright bass.

White, hair flying at center stage, was the dependable magnet of attention, even as he moseyed to a piano for a rollicking “Trash Tongue Talker,” one of several tunes drawn from last month’s solo debut, “Blunderbuss.”

The new material largely held its own, as songs like “Missing Pieces” and “Hypocritical Kiss” came gussied up with multicolored guitar lines.

But none could outmuscle the day’s true heavyweight: a roaring, pile-driving rendition of Howlin’ Wolf’s “300 Pounds of Joy,” as White slipped into his familiar onstage mode of man possessed.

#30 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,820 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

But none could outmuscle the day’s true heavyweight: a roaring, pile-driving rendition of Howlin’ Wolf’s “300 Pounds of Joy,” as White slipped into his familiar onstage mode of man possessed.

Awright, who broke the rules and recorded this?

#31 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Awright, who broke the rules and recorded this?

Yeah, that song was SO GOOD.
Duane the Teenage Weirdo. He was like an angry black David Bowie. The first and last song he did were with the band. Those two songs were fantastic! But inbetween those songs he basically did karaoke. It was interminable.

#32 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

I don't care, I :wub: Daru. :)

#33 roxxan23

roxxan23

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,865 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

Yeah, that song was SO GOOD.
Duane the Teenage Weirdo. He was like an angry black David Bowie. The first and last song he did were with the band. Those two songs were fantastic! But inbetween those songs he basically did karaoke. It was interminable.

Oooh. Interesting! Thank you kind sir!

Edit: Wait, wait. Just heard from one of the band members that they were on stage doing nothing during that whole time Duane was doing his karaoke thing? That's so odd.

Edited by roxxan23, 24 May 2012 - 11:13 PM.

#34 3dogs

3dogs

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

I don't care, I :wub: Daru. :)

second that. w/o the flushed haerty one, but yeah, big fan of Daru. Great for all Blunderbuss & DW track...eeehhhh on WS and Racs. The ENERGY that he feeds and runs on with Jack on is pretty special though.

#35 ck256

ck256

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:25 PM

Yes, Duanes band sat there the whole time motionless. Sorry, that and his music in general just sucks. In fact, the guy I went to the show with today went back home after the show, got fucking lit up, played and recorded some songs at his house, and both agreed, we should send the songs to jack and ask to open a couple shows, cuz they would still be better than duane. Art is art, but not when it is going to be associated with an international artist.

Just sayin

#36 ck256

ck256

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

And I want my Alabama shakes!!!

#37 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:04 AM

the early show was a good show, but it was the most tame i've ever seen jack. i dunno if he wasnt into it or he was saving it for the night show. i feel like things never hit its stride, the electricity never happened. and the sound was oddly quiet. like i said, good show but nothing crazy. hello operator was awesome. the dude on keys was tons of fun.

the night show on the other hand was everything i expected and more. it was glorious electric insanity. the chicks KILLED it!

Edited by Action Boy!, 25 May 2012 - 12:22 AM.

#38 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:14 AM

TJ, that's exactly how I felt about nights 1 & 2 in NYC. The guys played the first night, the ladies the second.

#39 roxxan23

roxxan23

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,865 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

Yes, Duanes band sat there the whole time motionless. Sorry, that and his music in general just sucks. In fact, the guy I went to the show with today went back home after the show, got fucking lit up, played and recorded some songs at his house, and both agreed, we should send the songs to jack and ask to open a couple shows, cuz they would still be better than duane. Art is art, but not when it is going to be associated with an international artist.

Just sayin

I don't care all that much for Duane's stuff, but it irks me so much when people think this stuff. Of course your friend likes his own recordings. Most people like their own shit or they wouldn't record. it. Obviously there is something Jack likes about Duane, so I doubt he cares that he's being associated with him.

And I want my Alabama shakes!!!

And see, I don't care for these guys at all. In fact, the guy I went to the show with Monday and Tuesday went back home after the show, got fucking lit up, played and recorded some songs at his house, and both agreed, we should send the songs to jack and ask to open a couple shows, cuz they would still be better than the Alabama Shakes. Art is art, but not when it is going to be associated with an international artist.

#40 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:59 AM

You probably did exactly that!
But yeah, during Duane's karaoke time, those four guys just stood there, still as statues. Duane, he actually had a three minute song of old video game music where he just sat there on the edge of the stage while it played. That's even worse than karaoke! But dudes, those two songs when the band played, those were fucking awesome! The rest was a lot of self-indulgent jerking off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users