42 replies to this topic

#21 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,698 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:42 AM

Well, the first of three shows at the Ryman was streamed tonight, on that site as well as the Racs channel on YouTube.  Good show, but I don't know if I'll watch the second and third if there's not that much variation in the setlist from night-to-night.

I would be amazed if they don't pull out some tunes they haven't played yet on this tour. It's a 3-night stand at the Ryman and that means something to them. Plus, they know all three nights are being livestreamed.  Together was a surprise last night, so I'm hoping for Intimate Secretary and Many Shades of Black (probably hoping against hope for Five on the Five, too).  

#22 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 02:03 PM

Considering the variety of formats offered, etc, I would imagine it'd take a lot of time & effort to maintain something like this and deal with all the transactions.  It'd be ideal for us fans to have it through the Vault, but doing so would require a whole build-out and possibly additional staff to maintain it.  Hard to say if the return on investment would be worth it, especially considering all the money TMR has shelled out over the last few years for things like the pressing plant.  Far easier and more economical for them to have it handled by a site that's already set up for that purpose.

Can you tell I work in retail administration...?  ;)

Much easier to contract with nugs than to host the content themselves - they would need to purchase or rent servers from a third party and would need to staff up to do it. With nugs, they handle EVERYTHING for the artist besides the recording and mixing I believe. You are right that folks should not underestimate the cost of maintaining and selling media via your own servers v letting seasoned pros do it. Excited to see what they do with it!

#23 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 02:45 PM

I would be amazed if they don't pull out some tunes they haven't played yet on this tour. It's a 3-night stand at the Ryman and that means something to them. Plus, they know all three nights are being livestreamed.  Together was a surprise last night, so I'm hoping for Intimate Secretary and Many Shades of Black (probably hoping against hope for Five on the Five, too).  

Yeah, I'll probably check in at the beginning of the stream to see how much they're switching it up.  Man, there was a lot of waiting before the show began last night, though.  I don't think they got onstage until around 9:30pm CT.  It also bugged me a little, given how relatively short these sets are, how Jack went borderline silent with the guitar on more than a handful of occasions, causing the performance to go a little slack at times.  I mean, sure, the spaces between the notes matter, and it's fine to try to build anticipation for the next aggressive guitar eruption, but sometimes it just feels like stalling.

I'm not really a big fan of Together, BTW.  To me, it's got really bland lyrics and a so-so melody.  It's one amongst many reasons their debut album is far and away my least favourite of the three.  But yeah, give us more deep cuts off Consolers, or b-sides, or covers:  I'm all for that.

#24 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,698 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:25 PM

Just posted on all the socials:  Help Us Strange to be played in its entirety tonight at the Ryman. 

#25 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

But is it Hugo Strange, or Doctor Strange? ;)

Edited by J.C., 30 August 2019 - 07:35 PM.

#26 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:19 PM

Yeah, I'll probably check in at the beginning of the stream to see how much they're switching it up.  Man, there was a lot of waiting before the show began last night, though.  I don't think they got onstage until around 9:30pm CT.  It also bugged me a little, given how relatively short these sets are, how Jack went borderline silent with the guitar on more than a handful of occasions, causing the performance to go a little slack at times.  I mean, sure, the spaces between the notes matter, and it's fine to try to build anticipation for the next aggressive guitar eruption, but sometimes it just feels like stalling.

I'm not really a big fan of Together, BTW.  To me, it's got really bland lyrics and a so-so melody.  It's one amongst many reasons their debut album is far and away my least favourite of the three.  But yeah, give us more deep cuts off Consolers, or b-sides, or covers:  I'm all for that.

Theyre playing normally like 17 songs per night, thats about 90 mins of music, which is perfectly normal for jack. Hes never been a 3 hour marathon show guy, but sometimes a show will go a bit longer if the vibe is right with the crowd. Love how the racs stick to his no-no setlist philosophy and play it by ear - know the other guys in the band complained about it at times but its such fun having every night be random and different

#27 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:09 PM

Well, the Racs setlists are sometimes only 14 songs, and often the concerts are only about 1 hr 15 minutes (mine was).  Jack solo is usually 90-100 minutes.  The Racs shows being shorter was understandable when they only had one or two albums, but now, it'd be nice if the current shows were consistently 90 minutes, at the very least.  Jack's not by himself out there on guitar, after all.

Re: tonight's show, waaaaay better sound than Night One.  I could barely hear Dean's guitar on Help Me Stranger last night, but it was loud and clear tonight.  The kids dancing on stage during the Donovan song was very cute, too.  And finishing with Carolina Drama over Steady is always welcome.  Very enjoyable set, and now I'm intrigued to see what they play tomorrow night.

Tam even got a little bit of Intimate Secretary!

#28 RaZoRsEdGe

RaZoRsEdGe

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:08 PM

So who's all watching tonight?!

#29 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:16 PM

I watched.  Another very enjoyable set.  That slo-mo thing the producers were doing was....interesting.

#30 RaZoRsEdGe

RaZoRsEdGe

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:23 PM

Oh I forgot im a little behind. I paused it for about 45 minutes and just started again. The over all sound seems to be the best out of the three nights though

#31 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,698 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:26 PM

The sound was great, the kick drum cam was too much of a good thing, and the f'ing slow-mo shots that had nothing to do with what was actually happening in the songs were annoying as hell.  That aside, the band put on an amazing show.  Love that Jack did Coal Miner's Daughter and Ramblin' Man twice.

Very curious to see what Nugs will do with these.

Edited by Kali Durga, 31 August 2019 - 11:27 PM.

#32 RaZoRsEdGe

RaZoRsEdGe

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:26 PM

OK yea too much low mo ahahahah

#33 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:40 PM

Heh.  The video and audio on these streams is often a little out of sync, so the slo-mo, with everything lagging behind five-ten seconds, certainly doesn't help matters.  I was a bit annoyed with it too, but I feel like I've been too critical the past few nights, so I didn't want to harp on it.

Anyways, I finally figured out why the View New Content tab wasn't working for me for the past, sheesh, year or more:  the "Just Items I Follow" thing was check-marked.  I don't recall clicking that on, but who knows...

Edited by J.C., 31 August 2019 - 11:42 PM.

#34 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,698 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:43 AM

Audio from all three nights in mp3 format (apologies to the audio purists, I'm a lazy heathen who hasn't learned yet how to record stuff in higher quality), download good until 9/8--  https://we.tl/t-gi54oDxgvB

#35 uglyinutah

uglyinutah

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 11:53 AM

Does anyone know whose kids were on stage jamming out the second night?  Possibly Brendan's?  That was one of my favorite parts of all three shows!

#36 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,698 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:21 PM

Pretty sure the boy was Brendan's son Declan, and probably one of the girls was his daughter. No idea about the other two.  It was definitely adorable.  A bunch of band kids were down in the pit at the 10th Anniversary show and Brendan was doing dance moves at them, and trying to get them to come up on the stage. So it was very cool that he succeeded this time  :)

Edited by Kali Durga, 01 September 2019 - 05:23 PM.

#37 Nogard

Nogard

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:43 AM

I still have to watch the third show, but I found the second show waaaaay better for two reasons already mentioned here:

- The kids dancing on Hey Gyp! (I couldn't stop laughing at joy. And the kid Jack tried to play along his solo with, pushing that kill bottom.

- The ending with Carolina Drama. I somehow find boring to end every gig with Steady as She Goes, so it was a great surprise, although it made the show ended in a little low mood.

#38 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:42 PM

Any news yet on if theyre releasing the raconteurs pro audio on nugs? Know the video is still up on YouTube but just curious on it anyone knows if thats planned?

#39 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,698 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:04 PM

This month's Third Man Thursday offering is The White Stripes Live In Mississippi.  If you don't have that Vault package, then you need this in yer life.  At the very least, follow the link to read Blackwell's beautiful post about the very last Stripes show--  https://www.nugs.net...ming/23065.html

#40 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:50 PM

It may be a weird choice but I think this may be my favourite Stripes show. It may not be the most representative of who they were but it gets the most spins. As Ben point out in that wonderful essay its like theyre still redefining what the band can be.

Exclusivity be damned, its great these are available to the whole world. And I dont have the same kind of access to my record player I once did so having these on my iPhone is actually really good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users