Photo

The Detroit Cobras

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_pleasantly_frazzled_*

Guest_pleasantly_frazzled_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:48 PM

Just because I don't want anyone thinking I'm still confused over Whirlwind Heat; They're basically one of my favorite bands. 12 year old me does not equal 17 year old me.

#22 CandyStripeIvy

CandyStripeIvy

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:51 PM

^haha
i heart the heat and peeps who heart the heat to

#23 John Lee Pettimore III

John Lee Pettimore III

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:04 PM

I just learned that the Black Crowes ex-(and hopefully future) keyboard player Eddie Harsch, who is probably the best living keyboard player on Earth, was in the Detroit Cobras a few years back when the Crowes were on hiatus. I knew he was from Detroit but I didn't know he was in this band.

#24 Guest_farquad92_*

Guest_farquad92_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:53 AM

i really want a cobras album but never get round to buying it ive really liked everything ive heard so far. cant wait until they next tour the uk if they come near me im on the guest list

#25 nmg123

nmg123

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 276 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:37 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

two new albums?! when did that happen?

EDIT: oh wait: 07-05-2007 and 07-08-2006 apparently... so it hasn't happened here yet :wacko:

DOUBLE EDIT: and they're playing wireless the same day as the stripes :blink:

Edited by nmg123, 26 April 2007 - 05:50 PM.

#26 The Boll Weevil

The Boll Weevil

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:33 PM

I hate the Detroit Cobras.

They just cover really obscure covers that really weren't that good to begin with most of the time and they don't make them any better. I don't like their singer much either.

#27 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

I can't believe people still give this band the time of day.

#28 Scheckywhite

Scheckywhite

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:00 PM

oooh kk&bbq resentment....

#29 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,043 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:33 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with King Khan and BBQ. It has to do with being sucky and obnoxious. :)

#30 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:38 PM

I disliked them waaaaaaay before the whole King Khan and BBQ thing went down. I saw a bootleg DVD shortly after joining the forum and I found the singer to be obnoxious and she really put me off.

#31 human fly

human fly

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,714 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:53 PM

never listened to the detroit cobras records. saw them live, opening for some other band, once, hated it. hate them. terrible.

#32 Guest_No. 1 Fruit Seller_*

Guest_No. 1 Fruit Seller_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:07 PM

never listened to the detroit cobras records. saw them live, opening for some other band, once, hated it. hate them. terrible.

except change never to "have" and the other band was opening for them, mindfuck.

#33 RockerChick

RockerChick

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:26 PM

I enjoyed their show......whilst incredibly hammered.

They are not really my thing otherwise.

#34 RockerChick

RockerChick

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:49 PM

Rachel Nagy is a bitch. She is one of the most visually and personally unappealing people I have ever seen on a stage. I hope she is not like this in person, for her sake.

Update: She is. :P

#35 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:53 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with King Khan and BBQ. It has to do with being sucky and obnoxious. :)

Yes. Thank you.
And you can probably find posts from me trashing this band several years before the whole KK&BBQ Show incident. They're like some huge joke.

#36 turnitdown

turnitdown

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:01 AM

I hate the Detroit Cobras.

They just cover really obscure covers that really weren't that good to begin with most of the time and they don't make them any better. I don't like their singer much either.

THAT IS A CROCK OF SHIT!

Say what you want about the Cobras, but they do pick really GREAT old SOUL / R&B songs.
Nathaniel Mayer (a detroiter) etc. Shnagri-las, Shirelles, Irma etc....
I don't think you've heard the originals.
but you sure can pretend.
Isn't the latest issue of NME waiting in the mail box for ya?

The D. Cobras are what they are...they sound like a cover/bar band...nothing to despise, at least I don't think,
I probably wouldn't go out of my way to make it to one of their shows nowadays, BUT their stuff doesn't make me punk and gag
like some people are putting on..on here...Other WAAAY worse shit is praised on this board CONSTANTLY.

If the dweebs who like Regina Spinchter or the YEAH YEAHS YEAHS are talking shit about the D.Cobras, you have NO ROOM TO TALK....THAT SHIT IS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy Worse.

so to rest my case,
I'm not a huge fan, probably not even a "fan" but they are nothing to start a hate thread about.
its like dissing on a decent karaoke singer.!!!!

Edited by turnitdown, 27 April 2007 - 12:05 AM.

#37 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,251 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:24 PM

I'm no massive regina SPEKTOR fan, but shut the fuck up. and at least SHE is decent to her fans and isn't drunk off her ass and abrasive all the time.

we don't like her.
deal.

#38 nmg123

nmg123

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:27 PM

my 2cents: detroit cobras have a good back catalogue. ok, they're a cover band, they're not cool, and the singer is (by all accounts) a bitch, but i don't really see what difference that makes to me. i mean it's not like i'm her friend / touring with her / going to her shows! it's just a cd at the end of the day. i think sometimes people are asking too much in looking to form some personal attachment with these people they've never met, and probably never will meet, through their music. if i based my musical purchases on if i thought i would like the individual members of the band or not i don't think i'd buy half of what i do... but maybe that's just me.

and anyway there's no need for things to get all heated in here about it - we'll all just have to agree to disagree :lol:

#39 Scheckywhite

Scheckywhite

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:19 PM

THAT IS A CROCK OF SHIT!

Say what you want about the Cobras, but they do pick really GREAT old SOUL / R&B songs.
Nathaniel Mayer (a detroiter) etc. Shnagri-las, Shirelles, Irma etc....
I don't think you've heard the originals.
but you sure can pretend.
Isn't the latest issue of NME waiting in the mail box for ya?

The D. Cobras are what they are...they sound like a cover/bar band...nothing to despise, at least I don't think,
I probably wouldn't go out of my way to make it to one of their shows nowadays, BUT their stuff doesn't make me punk and gag
like some people are putting on..on here...Other WAAAY worse shit is praised on this board CONSTANTLY.

so to rest my case,
I'm not a huge fan, probably not even a "fan" but they are nothing to start a hate thread about.

Here, here right on man, right on-

and while the singer may be an absolute cow what effect does that have on their sound? none
it's all just kk/bbq resentment to bring that point up-

#40 Guest_No. 1 Fruit Seller_*

Guest_No. 1 Fruit Seller_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:33 PM

and while the singer may be an absolute cow what effect does that have on their sound? none
it's all just kk/bbq resentment to bring that point up-

No one said she was a cow, people called her a bitch, and yes, tone of voice and delivery has a lot to do with your music, so being that annoying would ruin it. You're sadly mistaken if you think what's in here is KK/BBQ resentment, sure, it may have added some (not too much the tour was almost done anyways) but the people who criticized the cobras in this thread have Im fairly certain all expressed distaste for the cobras well in advance.

I know Leo hasnt liked them for a long time, Shaylee and I both walked out on them at their dallas show almost two years ago because they were playing horrible, couldnt get their shit together and we'll be damned if the singer could shut up and do something other than make really bad jokes. And hell, tron probably didnt like them over 7 years ago.

Cool, they do covers, they even do obscure covers, great, but your claim of it being KK/BBQ resentment is blind stupidity.

Edited by No. 1 Fruit Seller, 27 April 2007 - 05:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users