82 replies to this topic

#1 JM3

JM3

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:50 AM

does ANYONE know the lyrics to either the Cobra's version or Otis Redding's version of Shout Bamalama???

Rachel Nagy :wub:

#2 Plastic Loveless Letter

Plastic Loveless Letter

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,798 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:01 AM

The Detroit Cobras = fucking awesome.
I'm not too sure about the lyrics to Shout Bamalama, I know the words singing to it but i can't write it down. I am lousy.

#3 JM3

JM3

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:31 AM

yeah... i can kind of mumble along with it but, there are some things (especially in Otis's version) that I just can not make out.

'Nobody gonna set 'em down' --- ?

'Startin' to get 'em made up' -----?

Probably one of my top ten songs of all time.

#4 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:33 AM

Something about a priest killing a bear or something. Just dance and enjoy the band and try to ignore the singer, that's how you gotta take The Detroit Cobras.

#5 Guest_pleasantly_frazzled_*

Guest_pleasantly_frazzled_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:09 AM

Just dance and enjoy the band and try to ignore the singer, that's how you gotta take The Detroit Cobras.

Very true. I remember the first time I saw them they were opening for the Stripes and I was only like 12 and this woman was on stage being all lewd and weird and I was confused. Though I must say, I was much more confused during the Whirlwind Heat performance. :lol: People give the Cobras a lot of crap, but I generally enjoy listening to them. My dad is more of a fan than I am, though.

#6 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:29 AM

Very true. I remember the first time I saw them they were opening for the Stripes and I was only like 12 and this woman was on stage being all lewd and weird and I was confused. Though I must say, I was much more confused during the Whirlwind Heat performance. :lol:

I hated Detroit Cobras that night - that chick was HORRIBLE. But I fell in love with Whirlwind Heat, I thought they were absolutely fantastic.

#7 Guest_pleasantly_frazzled_*

• Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:01 AM

Well, I'd never been to a concert before and I didn't understand the concept of standing up for a whole show and I'd definetely never heard anything like Whirlwind Heat before so I was quite overwhelmed. I never knew you were at that show as well!

#8 RockerChick

RockerChick

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:55 AM

Rachel Nagy :wub:

<_<

Rachel Nagy is a bitch. She is one of the most visually and personally unappealing people I have ever seen on a stage. I hope she is not like this in person, for her sake.

She turns me off to the Cobras. A lot. And the fact that they're a cover band, which, in my book, doesn't qualify them as anything special. But I guess they're tolerable.

#9 JM3

JM3

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:00 PM

<_<

Rachel Nagy is a bitch. She is one of the most visually and personally unappealing people I have ever seen on a stage. I hope she is not like this in person, for her sake.

She turns me off to the Cobras. A lot. And the fact that they're a cover band, which, in my book, doesn't qualify them as anything special. But I guess they're tolerable.

I guess maybe I should have been more specific.... Rachel Nagy's VOICE :wub:

#10 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:38 PM

Rachel Nagy's voice is pretty damn good, its just everything else about here that isn't. If it wern't for her attitude I would like the Cobra's alot more. As it is, I would never pay to see them, I'll only watch if they're on the bill of some other band.

#11 JM3

JM3

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:53 PM

Rachel Nagy's voice is pretty damn good, its just everything else about here that isn't. If it wern't for her attitude I would like the Cobra's alot more. As it is, I would never pay to see them, I'll only watch if they're on the bill of some other band.

Maybe I don’t know enough about them? I just started getting into them…
She must be a very un-likable person for the consensus to be what it is?

#12 Guest_pleasantly_frazzled_*

• Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:06 PM

She's generally just a pretty unpleasant person. She used to be an exotic dancer, too. I don't hold that against her or anything, just sayin'.

#13 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:07 PM

Lisa calls her "that stripper mom bitch."

#14 Guest_eric620_*

Guest_eric620_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

She's generally just a pretty unpleasant person. She used to be an exotic dancer, too. I don't hold that against her or anything, just sayin'.

I think she used to be a butcher too!

I've seen them live twice and she seemed perfectly nice. A little intimidating maybe, but she didn't say anything mean to anyone. In fact, the second time, she was really nice. I handed her a drink someone was getting her from the bar.

#15 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,043 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

I saw them here in Dallas with Trent and she was a royal pain in the ass. For one thing, they took what seemed like almost an hour to get on stage after the Reigning Sound played. People in the audience were yelling and cursing because they were so fed-up with waiting. When they finally did come out she started with these lame quips and spent most of what we saw of the show talking with the audience and joking with Ko, who is adorable by the way. Needless to say, Trent and I left about 30 minutes into their set. We only went to see the Reigning Sound anyway.

Edited by CaseOfThePunks, 09 March 2006 - 09:28 PM.

#16 3brokenbricks3

3brokenbricks3

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

She was nice cause you were feeding her Booze. She loves booze. I remember the Rock City Festival. She bitched the whole time that her hometown wasn't showing enough love or giving enough booze.

#17 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:04 PM

She was nice cause you were feeding her Booze. She loves booze. I remember the Rock City Festival. She bitched the whole time that her hometown wasn't showing enough love or giving enough booze.

and that was after she showed up late for the performance. I remember having to wait because she wasn't even there to perform.

#18 Guest_eric620_*

Guest_eric620_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:33 PM

So what's the deal then? She's only nice in New York??? She must not stand out here that's why...I guess. I really don't know. I love this band. They're the Frank Sinatras of Detroit rock. They don't write originals for themselves but they do what they do well.

The night I saw them last, Greg Cartwright played guitar for them and he was having a good time doing it.

#19 peppermintpig

peppermintpig

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,126 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

I'm not sure why so many people seem to have a problem with them, I like their albums and their a fun band to go see live. I've only met Rachel once but she seemed perfectly nice :huh:

I don't mind them being a covers band, I think they're good at what they do!

#20 CandyStripeIvy

CandyStripeIvy

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:16 PM

I was much more confused during the Whirlwind Heat performance.

haha they done good then. the heat=glaxefusion style bedroom dancing radness.

i dont mind the detroit cobras, they have thier moments for sure. and that makes a lot of sense that rachel was a stripper before, so is that her on the CD cover then?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users