1031 replies to this topic

#1021 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,251 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

Great! I DVRed The Last 5 Years. Hoping to watch it this weekend when my bf is visiting. 

We finished Black Mirror up, and I think I actually liked it more than the previous season. The only crummy episode was Metalhead. What a dumb reveal.

Mainly I am just watching garbage on tv currently

#1022 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,562 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:27 AM

I don"t think I watched tv for much of the 80s, 90s, 00s so I got season 1, 2, and 6 of Buffy The Vampire Slater at Value Village, I watched them. I ordered the remaining seasons on Amazon for $38! I really like it. I never expected to like it.

#1023 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:47 AM

A lot of folks had that reaction to BtVS, myself included.  The first half-season is very modest cpmpared to Season 2 and beyond, but I ended up catching the second half of Season 2 (when the show really hit its stride) in repeats the summer after it originally aired, and watched it live from Season 3 on (eventually going back to catch the earliest eps).  I originally gave it a chance because Entertainment Weekly's chief TV critic at the time, Ken Tucker, was singing its praises, which rather surprised me given the poor film on which it was based.  I soon realized it had a lot of critical and academic (!) support, frequently showing up on many critics' Top 10 lists, and even being studied in universities. 

Anyways, a very engaging ensemble of characters, some imaginative and emotionally-complex (!) metaphorical storytelling, and a lot of very witty dialogue.  Whedon was very on-point with the carefully-articulated phrase.  As good as TV has gotten visually over the past 15 years (compared to what it had been, in general), there aren't many shows with such consistently creative and elegant wordplay.

It's a bit unfortunate you jumped from Season 2 to 6, spoiling a pretty huge plot development at the end of Season 5, but as with any quality show, it's more about the journey than the destination.  Have fun with Season 3:  it's very entertaining.  And be on the lookout for some of TV's more interesting formal experiments going forward, including a mostly-silent episode ("Hush"), a hugely evocative, somewhat Lynchian dream episode ("Restless"), and a harrowing mini-art-film involving a death in the family that was startling in its immediacy (not saying which one).

Edited by J.C., 06 February 2018 - 05:59 AM.

#1024 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,562 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for your insight.

I watched some of the extras and they (cast) said Joss had a thesaurus handy. He liked to replace words with seemingly unrelated provenance . Which, is so evident in the series and one of the things that made my brain do a double take at first and it always amuses me to hear the dialogue.

I am so looking forward to "Hush", when I started watching I was inform about "sardonic, wide-mouthed, floating ghouls" and the lack of dialogue. Like I need more erasers embedded in my cauliflower!

Now. I can look forward to "Restless" as well.

#1025 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:11 PM

Yeah, if you dig the Funhouse and Test Drive episodes of The Sopranos, you'll probably quite enjoy Restless.  It's pretty weird, very visually-striking, and foreshadows a ton of events that happen later in the series.

Re: the dialogue of the series, Joss got especially expressive with the show's British characters (Spike and Giles).  As you've probably noticed, there's also a lot of dark humour on the show, particularly once Anya comes aboard.

Edited by J.C., 07 February 2018 - 08:16 PM.

#1026 Rooniedoo

Rooniedoo

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:29 AM

I've been watching Celeb Big Brother, It's pretty good so far lots drama and Omarosa is always something on a reality tv show haha

Edited by Rooniedoo, 08 February 2018 - 07:30 AM.

#1027 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,467 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:54 AM

Wait... so she left the White House and is already on another reality show??

#1028 Rooniedoo

Rooniedoo

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:17 AM

Wait... so she left the White House and is already on another reality show??

Yeah, lol they immediately tried to get her as soon as she left the white house.

#1029 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:20 PM

White House, reality show...really, what's the difference? ;)

#1030 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:01 PM

the new Queer Eye is a little bright spot in this dark world. on netflix

#1031 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,216 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:33 AM

I'm smitten with the winter Olympics :wub:

#1032 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,562 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:13 AM

Fargo season 3. Fargo never disappoints but BUT the music is killing me. Throat singers from Tuva, which I can't seem to even buy but is completely free on YouTube and 'ship of fools' from Noah Harley and Jeff Russo covering Erasure. I am going to buy their 1998 cd. Probably. Sounds s bit like early Depeche Mode.

Edit. I didn't even know where Tuva was, I had to get a client to google it at work. Federal District of Russia? What the fuck is a Federal District of Russia?

Edited by lindapoirier, Yesterday, 01:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users