698 replies to this topic

#681 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:02 PM

I think I (rather stupidly) didn't buy the single when it was released because I had heard a snippet of her side and it sounded like her vocals overdubbed on the existing track and none too successfully. Shame on me for leaving such a decision to a snippet!

#682 Jamilia

Jamilia

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:55 PM

The Ryman is being remodeled which is a fucking tragedy. They are putting in a cafe. It's horrible. However, while silently fuming and waiting for tonight's show to start, I noticed this hatch print on the wall outside of the balcony entrance. It hangs with the likes of Robert Plant, Van Morrison, Bob Dylan and a handful of others.

afd6af86b2bb588e5401e52db6ddaab6_zps7ash

Edited by Jamilia, 24 April 2015 - 10:56 PM.

#683 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:40 PM

Not really a sighting, but I do believe the Vancouver Canucks have played Salute Your Solution at every home game this year.

#684 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:11 AM

PK!

#685 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:19 AM

I also stumbled upon this ridiculously good audio and neat mashup of BBS from MI Fest.

#686 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:27 AM

Holy crap that's amazing. I saw your comment on the video. I hope, too, that they have the complete audio/video of it

#687 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,765 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:17 AM

I also stumbled upon this ridiculously good audio and neat mashup of BBS from MI Fest.

Oh my god. The only thing missing from that is Jack dancing in a circle with Claudette's broken string flying around. Is five years a long enough time as a fan for me to feel the nostalgia that made me feel?  I don't know why... Fuck it, yes, I do know why, this brought me to tears. The last two years as a fan have been so much more difficult, from sleeping on sidewalks to questionable products and promotions by TMR to this current performing hiatus that's going to go on for who knows how long, being a fan of Jack's music got so complicated after Blunderbuss. Makes that mini Racs tour and this show at MI Fest seem like the good, simple, old days. I would imagine feelings like that are magnified tremendously for those of y'all who were around for the Stripes. Being a fan is hard sometimes. It's like being in a fucking relationship, the longer you're together the more complicated it becomes. But, god or whatever's above help me, I can't help but be addicted to the music.

#688 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:47 AM

Oh my god. The only thing missing from that is Jack dancing in a circle with Claudette's broken string flying around. Is five years a long enough time as a fan for me to feel the nostalgia that made me feel?  I don't know why... Fuck it, yes, I do know why, this brought me to tears. The last two years as a fan have been so much more difficult, from sleeping on sidewalks to questionable products and promotions by TMR to this current performing hiatus that's going to go on for who knows how long, being a fan of Jack's music got so complicated after Blunderbuss. Makes that mini Racs tour and this show at MI Fest seem like the good, simple, old days. I would imagine feelings like that are magnified tremendously for those of y'all who were around for the Stripes. Being a fan is hard sometimes. It's like being in a fucking relationship, the longer you're together the more complicated it becomes. But, god or whatever's above help me, I can't help but be addicted to the music.

My friend and I that went to MI Fest still talk about it like it just couldn't have really happened. We are such big fans of the band, everything about it, and the fact that they played a show within driving distance in the middle of a grassy lot to a small amount of people... It just seems surreal. I saw the Racs in 2008, and it was an amazing, intimate show outside in Cincinnati. That MI Fest gig though, it was just so odd and so amazing that it happened, I won't ever forget it.

Also, I agree that being a fan has become harder and it's a tough thing to do these days. In 2003, a random friend broke me out of my classic rock phase to listen to this odd 2 piece band that wore matching colors. I was really convinced that all modern rock music was complete shit, so I never bothered seeking out anything new. Anyways, ever since I got into The White Stripes, it pretty much became an addiction. Even to this day, when I discover a new awesome youtube video that I haven't seen (like above), I'm amazed I haven't seen it and still pumped that I found it. The Stripes shaped me as a person when I was 15. Ever since I became a fan, Jack has always been releasing music. Every year or 2 years. It became such a constant, amazing thing. Friends would be like, I wonder if the new White Stripes album will be any good? My immediate internal response was always, are you kidding me? They can't do wrong. Jack could never do wrong. I still really believe that with projects he fronts. Even the Dead Weather, where he takes more of a laid back role, it's still very good.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. I guess your post made me think about how easy and enjoyable the last 12 years of my listening to Jack and company has been. When the White Stripes announced their end, it was almost like the end of a friendship/relationship. Except, all of the pictures, videos, and music weren't a bitter feeling, but still a happy thing (even though it was hard to listen and still is sometimes knowing it's not an active thing). It's going to be really hard growing older with Jack if this phase right now is any sign of him slowing down some. I mean, my shows in my signature are like memories of that time in my life, what I was doing, etc. When someone mentions a year in the last 12 years, I immediately can remember what album Jack was doing that year, where I saw a show, etc. Damn, I actually wish I hadn't been quite as young as I was at the time. I'm 27 now (soon to be 28). If I hadn't been so young during the early years, I would have been able to get to more shows haha. I couldn't go to the Broken Boy Soldiers tour because their closest show was NYE in Chicago. The parents wouldn't let me take the car to that mess of an event. Being able to get to ONE show when you're like 17 was a huge deal. Anyways, I guess this long ramble is just me reflecting on Jack's music and how it's a huge part of me, my everyday life, attitudes, passion, intensity, etc. I hope he continues strong. He's been on this hiatus, but we're still getting these fun videos and at least something in the form of a Dead Weather album. I just hope 2016 isn't a dead year.

Edited by Ak1nney, 12 September 2015 - 10:49 AM.

#689 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,765 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:20 AM

I completely understand all of that.  This is heading into off-topic territory, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately and talking about it with other people.  Part of this feeling is decisions he's made, but another part of it is all of the people I've gotten to know over the past few years, the fellow fans I communicate with.  Sometimes I feel like I know too much, or I know too much of what other people think they know, and it's a struggle to not let it affect how I feel about the music. It's a struggle to not let other people's obsessions affect my own addiction, which I've tried to keep as pure as possible. I agree with you about believing that every project he's involved in is going to put out something worth waiting for. I'd rather be waiting for the Racs than the DW right now and I've got doubts about how good Dodge and Burn will be based on what I've heard so far, but that's not enough to shake my faith. What he creates moves me too much, his philosophy (as I choose to understand it) means too much. I'm no sycophant, I won't hesitate to express negative opinions when I don't like something he's created or that TMR has produced, but I believe strongly enough in what he does that I will always try to express those opinions constructively.  And if there are a few records or TMR products here and there that I don't absolutely love then, for crying out loud, that doesn't mean that it's all shit.

And now I'm babbling, too, partly in response to you and partly in response to other conversations I've been having.

We've got the new Detroit store and American Epic coming up. Hopefully we'll get some news soon about whatever else he may be working on these days.  In the meantime, I hope that you and everyone else here keeps finding videos like those above to tide us over and remind us of why we're here while we wait through this Jack White Limbo.

And, haha, it's only been four months   :lol:

#690 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:12 PM

I think you may be getting close to the Acceptance phase, Tam. ;)

I wasn't totally fanatical about the Racs or TDW, so that gap between 2007 and 2012 didn't totally kill me.  And I didn't even attend that Vancouver JW show in 2012, partly because of a lack of funds, but mostly because I didn't realize he'd be playing TWS material, and not only drawing from one album's worth of material (and a few covers), like the Racs' first tour.

Jack's a creative guy, and likes to keep busy.  He may not be touring, but I'm sure we'll get something interesting from him once every couple of months.

#691 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,765 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:14 PM

I think you may be getting close to the Acceptance phase, Tam. ;)

Reassess my state of mind in November when the Detroit store opens and I'm not able to go ;)

#692 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:18 PM

Can't get time off work because you used too much this past year-and-a-half?

#693 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,765 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:21 PM

No, can't go because I'll be with my family in Florida over Black Friday/Thanksgiving weekend and then I can't take time off after that because of the holidays.  The joy of retail at Christmas-time...

#694 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:24 PM

I.................didn't realize you were in retail.  For some reason, I thought you had a (relatively laid back) office job.

#695 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,765 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

I do, sort of.  But it's in the administrative office of a retail establishment. Gonna be a lot less laid back over the next 8 weeks, though, as we're opening an expansion to the store and it's up to me to get the new point-of-sale and telephone systems installed, and to train the sales staff on them. Y'all need to keep those Raconteurs videos coming to help me keep my sanity!!

Speaking of...

Aaaaaaah, that's better!

#696 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:46 PM

I'm surprised they allow you so much time off for the concerts, given how crucial you seem to be to the operation of said business.

Edited by J.C., 12 September 2015 - 02:47 PM.

#697 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,765 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:06 PM

Seniority. I have 3 weeks vacation. Plus I often work on Saturdays (like today) to make up for weekdays off.

Here's another video of BBS from MI Fest in which you can see Jack's string break in the first few seconds of the song, and then him dancing in a circle later (it's only a second or so in the video, but felt like much longer seeing it live. Made quite an impression on Helen and me) --

#698 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:27 PM

It's cool that they give you some leeway with that.

#699 angelos

angelos

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:01 AM

Lets ''resurrect'' an old thread! 

I MISS THEM !!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users