141 replies to this topic

#1 Divemistress of the Dark

Divemistress of the Dark

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

Saw a surprisingly good 'classic rock' show last night. Would love to hear about others' experiences, be they local bands in small clubs or internationally known rock stars.

#2 CHEEKY

CHEEKY

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

Well who did you see last night ?

#3 Divemistress of the Dark

Divemistress of the Dark

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

If I tell you I'll have to kill you.

;)

(actually, I already spilled the beans in the 'Guilty Pleasures' thread - Steve Miller Band at the Ryman. They were terrific. 12-minute version of "Fly Like an Eagle" mashed up with Nat King Cole's "Nature Boy."

Hadn't known Miller was something of a guitar virtuoso.)

#4 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

His Come On Into My Kitchen is my second-favorite version (after Johnson's). Nothing to feel guilty about there!

#5 Lux White

Lux White

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

Last show I saw was Alexander and Fam, aka Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros doing Alex Ebert's solo songs at Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn! I gotta say, they are my favorite live band. It was my second time seeing Ed Sharpe and both shows were the most fun I've ever had. They just create such a free, loving, intimate atmosphere between them and the crowd. They're beautiful. I wish I could see them every day :)

#6 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,354 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

discounting local acts i saw after the festival...

a 3 day, swoon worthy event:

neko case
the flaming lips
yo la tengo
wanda jackson
(sooo many more, national and local)

it was one of the best weekends i've ever had.

#7 Go Go Harlem Baby

Go Go Harlem Baby

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:13 PM

Free show by a band I'd never heard of prior called Fitz and the Tantrums...they play kind of soul-y rock and it was enjoyable...they also covered steady as she goes!...Kind of wish I had my taping gear on me <_<

#8 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

neko case

definitely swoonworthy :wub:

#9 roxxan23

roxxan23

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,865 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:22 PM

I think the last one was The Dirtbombs a few weeks back. I was supposed to see Ghost of the Saber Tooth Tiger on Friday night at South Street Seaport (because I will love Sean Lennon no matter what side-boob he has playing with him), but had to wait for UPS and missed it. This Saturday I am seeing NOBUNNY. So yay!

#10 Go Go Harlem Baby

Go Go Harlem Baby

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:27 PM

This Saturday I am seeing NOBUNNY. So yay!

I'm seeing Nobunny next thursday! I was actually gonna post about it in my post a little while ago but thought I'd wait til next friday ;) so excited!!! :D

#11 Divemistress of the Dark

Divemistress of the Dark

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:14 PM

What was this event you attended, Katface? Sounds excellent.

I'm also a giant Neko fan. Who's gonna start the thread? ;)

(Aqua: I linked a Youtube of the mashup I mentioned in the 'Guilty Pleasures' thread. It was transcendent. Forgive my shoddy camera work, I was doing a little jumping up & down...

Really hadn't known what to expect or that Miller was an associate of Les Paul's. He's apparently started a real life 'School of Rock' and had a 16 year old kid up with him for the last few songs. It was really something to see, this kid's face rocking out on stage...)

#12 Divemistress of the Dark

Divemistress of the Dark

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

All right folks, I have a related question: What's the highest number of times you've seen a band or performer and which one?

I have several up into the double digits. I'll tell if you do. ;)

(edited to clarify)

Edited by Divemistress of the Dark, 29 June 2011 - 11:20 PM.

#13 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:45 PM

I saw MOTO with Punk Talk on Monday night. Super fun show! Punk Talk killed it! Not sure what's up next, probably something on the 4th.

Romance Novels, when they were around, were probably the band I've seen the most, tied with the Sweet 16s. Second would most likely be Nobunny.

#14 roxxan23

roxxan23

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,865 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

All right folks, I have a related question: What's the highest number of times you've seen a band or performer and which one?

(edited to clarify)

Mine would be the Dirtbombs. It started out as just being a crazy fan who never got to see them in Missouri so I wanted to see them every time they came to NYC and they played NYC a LOT. Then I got to know them more through Joe and so we go to hang out and have fun and I take pics and dance and lalala. I've seen them probably a dozen times by now? Maybe more. I don't know.

#15 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:53 AM

(edited to clarify)

This was an interesting question, because when I thought about it--and I know there are all sorts of shows I've forgotten about--it didn't turn out quite the way I'd expected. I thought the Stones and Dylan would place higher, as I saw them a lot in their earlier days, but then not in recent years. So Robert Plant came in first, in his various different incarnations, followed by Tyrannosaurus Rex/T. Rex--well into double digits, Plant 20+ I should think--and third would probably be the Faces, because I saw them so often in a comparatively short period of time. In the past couple of decades it's been all over the map--I just wish I'd seen the Stripes more.

#16 spastic.jerk

spastic.jerk

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:01 PM

I'm seeing Nobunny next thursday! I was actually gonna post about it in my post a little while ago but thought I'd wait til next friday ;) so excited!!! :D

make sure to take your gear to that one! :P
Last show was yesterday night saw the most annoying Jazz / Garage / Psychedelic / Wanker fusion rock ever - we showed up an hour early because my buddies band was headlining and ended up getting free but was seriously thinking of leaving and coming back and paying the cover charge out of sheer frustration. Hadn't paid any attention to who was opening and then who did I see sitting at the table next to me and my roomie but Pujol! It was the last night/gig on their tour and gave a really short 23 minute set that blew the house down, got it on tape so will be posting it soon when I get that edited. Then Nighty Night hit the stage - they were totally the best local show I've seen in a decade had a great time got a bunch of signed schwag from Nighty Night and Pujol - tomorrow going to be seeing JEFF TBrhood at the same place, should be taping that as the people running the bar are really cool about it all.

#17 Go Go Harlem Baby

Go Go Harlem Baby

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

make sure to take your gear to that one! :P

you do not need to worry about that my friend B) I should be good to get in, talking to the Pittsburgh taping crew they didn't see a problem with getting my shit into the bar

#18 Divemistress of the Dark

Divemistress of the Dark

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

Last show: U2. Which I bought tickets to sort of on a whim when they announced a local gig, but it was a lot better than anticipated. Going to the St. Louis show now, in fact...

#19 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:37 PM

I work for a radio station, and we just put on a small one day festival that I worked. It really isn't anything too special; the big acts were Marc Cohn (walking in Memphis), Augustana, Scars on 45, Nicole Atkins... You're probably asking "Who?" but....

Sonny Landreth played too and he was really really sweet. He's a blues slide guitar player that has played with Clapton among others. I really appreciated his performance.

#20 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

And the night before that I caught Soundgarden in Jersey.

Upcoming is perhaps Levon Helm at Summer Stage central park

then

Weezer & Flaming Lips
The Kills
Bob Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users