7315 replies to this topic

#7301 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:20 AM

Darker because I'm stupid sometimes and need a light read.

H is for Hawk~~~  Helen McDonald. She is brilliant .

#7302 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:05 PM

Anne Rice   The Wolves of Midwinter.............

#7303 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,251 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:42 AM

Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward

#7304 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

Stone Mattress by Margaret Atwood.

she's so good.

#7305 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,251 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

Fates and Furies-Lauren Groff

#7306 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

Fates and Furies-Lauren Groff

I've been curious about that one.

Foe by J.M Coetzee

#7307 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,251 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:22 AM

The voice takes some getting used to, but I think I understand what she's going for. I'm about 120 pages in now and enjoying it so far.

#7308 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,251 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:17 AM

The Vacationers-Emma Straub

#7309 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:02 AM

Finished the Wolf books by Anne. I loved them and hope she continues these books. The characters are intriguing and I'd love to see where she goes with them.

Now I'm reading Tobias Wolff's  This Boy's Life

#7310 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,560 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:45 PM

Items: Is Fashion Modern?

#7311 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:12 PM

Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor

probably the most surprising book i've read in a long time. 

"It began to drizzle rain and he turned on the windshield wipers; they made a great clatter like two idiots clapping in church."

"She was ugly. Her hair was so thin it looked like ham gravy trickling down her skull."

"Faith is what someone knows to be true, whether they believe it or not."

#7312 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,251 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:12 AM

Great lines!

I'm reading Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance, which has been VERY controversial here in WV and southern OH. The press I work for is actually publishing a collection of essays in response to the book since it's generated so much conversation. I'm trying to keep an open mind.

#7313 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:14 AM

O'Conner sounds like someone I would love to read. Thanks stripes42.  Have you read anything by Harry Crews yet? His A Childhood begins as such.."My first memory is of a time ten years before I was born, and the memory takes place where I have never been and involves my daddy whom I never knew."  I have yet to begin the book but it is sitting on my dresser and is next on my list.

And oh Kat Hillbilly is on my list of Memoir :wub:. I'm so interested to hear what you think. I think Vance is a remarkable person. I believe he grew up in the Appalachians and he ended up in either Princeton or Yale. Can't quite remember.

As of now I'm reading The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. He wrote it as fiction but I can't help but think just how much truth is woven throughout.

#7314 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,251 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

thoughts on Hillbilly Elegy, since you'd asked. 3 stars out of 5--mainly because of the first half. He's going to be on campus next week so I might attend.

If nothing else, this book has opened up conversations about Appalachian identities and regional crises. The first half of the book is a compelling portrait of the narrator's unstable childhood, featuring two well-rendered maternal figures: Mom and Mamaw. Vance's family mythology is riveting stuff, and I would have been content to see the book end with his first escape from Middletown. 

Indeed, the book veers off course once Vance pursues his education at both Ohio State and Yale. Instead of scenes, Vance relies on too much narrative summary. As riveting as the memoir's first half was, the second half feels rushed, less developed, and more abstract (to the memoir's detriment). 

Most troublingly are Vance's ideas for improving conditions for Appalachians. He invokes his own personal success as evidence that a similar path is possible for anyone who simply wants it and is disciplined enough. If only it were as simple as Vance might have readers believe. . . 

Ultimately, Vance's nuanced understanding of his own familial dynamics does not seem to extend to his analysis of social circumstances affecting Appalachia more broadly. Vance dismisses struggling individuals as lazy, "welfare queens," addicts, abusers, and more--perpetuating stereotypes about the region without offering a tangible remedy, or even much compassion. His success is something to be applauded, but his "pull yourself up your bootstraps" mentality strikes me as irresponsible, unhelpful rhetoric

#7315 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,251 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:49 PM

The Art of Memoir-Mary Karr (reading it to help me focus on thesis stuff. most of it's fairly rudimentary, but it's engagingly written)

Gold Fame Citrus-Claire Vaye Watkins. I've already been sucked into the novel's world. 60 pages in and devouring it.

#7316 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

thoughts on Hillbilly Elegy, since you'd asked. 3 stars out of 5--mainly because of the first half. He's going to be on campus next week so I might attend.

Most troublingly are Vance's ideas for improving conditions for Appalachians. He invokes his own personal success as evidence that a similar path is possible for anyone who simply wants it and is disciplined enough. If only it were as simple as Vance might have readers believe. . . 

Ultimately, Vance's nuanced understanding of his own familial dynamics does not seem to extend to his analysis of social circumstances affecting Appalachia more broadly. Vance dismisses struggling individuals as lazy, "welfare queens," addicts, abusers, and more--perpetuating stereotypes about the region without offering a tangible remedy, or even much compassion. His success is something to be applauded, but his "pull yourself up your bootstraps" mentality strikes me as irresponsible, unhelpful rhetoric[/font]

Yep, and I'm thinking that is just a "part" of who he is. Because he took that part of himself to elevate himself up and out of those circumstances he truly believes that can be accomplished by all. But if and only if other people have those same character traits and beliefs.

The Art of Memoir-Mary Karr (reading it to help me focus on thesis stuff. most of it's fairly rudimentary, but it's engagingly written)

Gold Fame Citrus-Claire Vaye Watkins. I've already been sucked into the novel's world. 60 pages in and devouring it.

I love Mary. She is such a colorful person and what you see is what you get with her. She's unapologetic and smart and I love that in a writer. I hear truth when I read her. Art of Memoir is on my dresser as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users