134 replies to this topic

#121 Lee

Lee

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:40 PM

I concur that "Three Dollar Hat" and "Impossible Winner" are among the weirdest — and best — tracks on the album.

"Let Me Through" sounds like it could have been a White Stripes song. The drumming reminds me of Meg.

I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked this record. 

#122 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:27 PM

I don't know that Impossible Winner is necessarily a "weird" song in isolation; only weird within the context of the rest of the (rawer, more aggressive) record.  I quite like it, but I've always been a fan of musical diversity in albums.

#123 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,677 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:54 PM

Alison's technique video is up--  http://www.billboard...-video-premiere  And Dean's comments at the Billboard article certainly jive with my feeling that this is more an Alison Mosshart album than a Dead Weather album.  Definitely like her car, though, and her writing process.  The video's interesting, too, more cinematic than the others.

#124 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:13 AM

I've only listened to this album once. I should spin the LP again tomorrow.

#125 gibsona07

gibsona07

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:38 AM

There's lots of White Stripes-y guitar tones on Dodge and Burn which naturally make me wonder what a WS album today would sound like.

#126 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:20 AM

I've been open in the past about not being the biggest Dead Weather fan. I've always felt their sound was extremely tight, but their songs were more jam sessions than solid songs.  Listening to this album, I think "I Feel Love" is decent, "Three Dollar Hat" is interesting, and "Impossible Winter" is great. Everything else just kind of blended in to me.

#127 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:52 PM

But you have to admit, Alison looks pretty snazzy in her parka in the IW video.  And that's a pretty badass snowman she's working on.

#128 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:07 PM

So, the album Dodge and Burn came out a little under five months ago at this point. The last post in this topic was from October 14th, less than a month after the release of the album. During the White Stripes days, this board was a bustling hotspot to discuss the music, with pretty much every possible detail being discussed. Constantly. Over and Over. It saddens me to log in here and see that the general interest just isn't what it used to be, though I completely understand and am beyond guilty of it myself. 

Just an observation.

#129 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:26 PM

The fact that the band didn't tour in support of the album certainly didn't help matters in that regard.

#130 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,677 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:09 AM

Touring does seem to drive conversation these days, I noticed that between the releases of Blunderbuss and Lazaretto. But I also remember how jumpin' this place was when I joined up, even when the DW tour that year ended and Jack took months off before the Rac mini-tour.  Seems like a lot of people who were White Stripes fans aren't Jack White fans and they've moved on.

So, let's talk about the music, and the video art that accompanies it--  What do y'all think of the Impossible Winner video?  I think it's a shame I Feel Love was the video that ended up nominated for a Grammy. This one's actually worthy of an award.

Edited by Kali Durga, 16 February 2016 - 07:15 AM.

#131 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:13 PM

or an a-weird, at least

#132 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,677 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:31 PM

I love the hell out of its a-weirdness.  Might be the best, or at least one of the best, things the DW has done yet.

#133 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:48 PM

That's a fucking fantastic video, if you'll excuse my French.  Did they produce any other official videos between that and I Feel Love?  I've been a bit out-of-the-loop on this.

#134 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,677 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:07 PM

Not that I recall. Only the technique videos.  But I swear I remember reading in one of the announcements somewhere that there was also going to be a full-length something or other directed by Jack. Can't recall now whether it was going to combine the technique videos or what.  And he's also hinted in Vault chat that there's something being done with Three Dollar Hat that we're going to love. 

And really, it is pretty fucking fantastic. You kind of have to resort to that sort of French for this one.

#135 YDKWLI

YDKWLI

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:51 AM

Some recent interviews, with Dean:

http://www.popmatter...h-dean-fertita/

and Alison and LJ:

http://www.thesenseo...-dodge-and-burn

It guess the whole Dodge and Burn story has already ended, since Alison is busy with The Kills and Dean with Iggy Pop. I was hoping for some more interviews and perhaps some more tv performances. It would have gave us more things to talk about, but hopefully this thing with Three Dollar Hat is coming soon!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users