Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_joeldalley_*

Guest_joeldalley_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2003 - 07:58 PM

I saw this movie today for the first time in 11 years. Anyone seen it? Thoughts?

#2 Mr.Joshua

Mr.Joshua

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 08:29 PM

seen it about 5 times. the best plot/story in the twin peaks saga, i say. it's hardcore and the series was not, that is cool(lots of others don't agree, most think the movie is too "in your face"). the whole scene at the bar with the strobe is very cool, very Lynch. the lady in the red dress rules.

#3 Guest_joeldalley_*

Guest_joeldalley_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2003 - 10:37 PM

I like the movie, but I think it digresses too much. I know a lot of people don't like Lost Highway, but that's my favorite after Mullholland Drive. Well, that and Blue Velvet. I still haven't seen Eraserhead though. Have you?

#4 elijahcraig

elijahcraig

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 10:48 PM

I saw part of Eraserhead at a friendís house once. It was a strange part (Lynch, ha!) and I wasnít really sure what was happening.

I like Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive (though I havenít figured out what the story actually means, anyone enlighten me?), and Blue Velvet.

I havenít see Twin Peaks.

#5 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 11:10 PM

Blue Velvet is one of my favorite movies.
And Lost Highway is awesome.

I've never seen Fire Walk With Me, I've always just stuck to watching old episodes of the tv show.

Apparently, there's talk of Eraserhead being released on DVD. It's about time, considering the VHS version is out of print and really hard to find.

#6 Guest_joeldalley_*

Guest_joeldalley_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2003 - 11:11 PM

Apparently, there's talk of Eraserhead being released on DVD. It's about time, considering the VHS version is out of print and really hard to find.

Exactly. I have seen it around on VHS, but never picked it up. You should watch Fire Walk With Me, just as I should reacquaint myself with the series. My friend has the season one boxset...

#7 Mr.Joshua

Mr.Joshua

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 11:19 PM

i've seen Eraserhead once(it's out on DVD now but it's Japanese). the copy i saw was a really shitty VHS and it was like 3 years ago but i liked it alot. it's alot like his newer stuff. the way he tells stories now was very similar to then(it's also alot like his short films, see: The Short Films of David Lynch DVD). i've seen Lost Highway and like it alot, but Blue Velvet is my favorite after Mullhollad Dr. his best short film(i think)is called The Cowboy and The Frenchmen, it's about a deaf cowboy(Harry Dean Stanton)and a lost frenchmen. it's really good.

#8 Mr.Joshua

Mr.Joshua

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 11:29 PM

about a year ago i went out and rented all of the Twin Peaks episodes short of the last 4. i really like season 1. season 2(especially halfway through)it gets really soap oprea-ish(and i know that, thats exactlly what they were trying to do but making fun of them at the same time)either way i just thought it just got old. all in all any of the episodes that were directed by Lynch himself were really good no matter what. the stuff he did on his own episodes was just the plain weird, always. so they were/are worth watching but i would not say the the Twin Peaks story is Lynch's best(not that anyone said it was, just saying). just my opinion.

#9 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 03:54 AM

Exactly. I have seen it around on VHS, but never picked it up. You should watch Fire Walk With Me, just as I should reacquaint myself with the series. My friend has the season one boxset...

I'll have to rent Fire Walk the next time I'm at the video store...I've only seen one copy of Eraserhead in this town, but never got around to renting it. I'd like to just wait for the DVD but who knows how long that'll take.

Nobody's mentioned the Elephant Man either. I really liked that one, more than I expected I would. Not my favorite Lynch movie, but I thought it was great.

#10 kahluagal

kahluagal

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 09:10 AM

It was an good movie... although the series was much, much better. I was a bit disappointed with the movie as an 'ending' to the series...but it's been a while, so I should probably rent it and just shut up :)

I wonder what WS music in a David Lynch film would be like. I think they mine the same cultural terrain.

#11 Mr.Joshua

Mr.Joshua

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 09:16 AM

I was a bit disappointed with the movie as an 'ending' to the series...

actually it was more the begining of the series if you think about it...

#12 astroboy64

astroboy64

White Blood Cells

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 09:43 AM

I haven't seen the film since its theatrical release, but I remember being fairly disappointed.

Eraserhead I saw numerous times, and own the soundtrack on vinyl. I wish Lynch would allow the dvd to be sold on Amazon. But the film seems to be his "baby", no pun intended.

#13 Mr.Joshua

Mr.Joshua

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 09:54 AM

But the film seems to be his "baby", no pun intended.

not that this is what you were talking about but the baby scenes in Eraserhead were very strange. the veiws expressed on children seemed very negative(the baby being the deformed creature that the father wants nothing to do with), not like i'm against that. in the new Blue Velvet DVD extras it talks about how Lynch's kids work with him alot(one time they took apart a frozen turky documenting it peice by peice with a poloroid camera), i guess he just seemed like a family man to me. it's also very possible that i interpreted the film wrong.

#14 '''''

'''''

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 09:55 AM

For me it's always a good judge as to a person whether they like Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me or not.
If they do: I like them, if they don't: I don't.
Twin Peaks is by far David Lynch's best work.

If you ever have children, make sure they watch Twin Peaks none stop when they're 11 years old, it will have an effect on them that will last forever (in the best possible way).

#15 Dancing barefoot

Dancing barefoot

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 10:51 AM

I'm with Peter on this one - Twin Peaks and FWWM are both excellent - problem is that Lynch rates the viewers too highly, and people just don't appreciate the wonder served up to them!

Agent Cooper is the most gorgeous and alluring character - damn fine coffee -

and Bob still scares the living bejesus out of me when I think about him, let alone see him. He was terrible - in the true sense of that word.

I have season one on DVD. when is season 2 out? anyone know?

How's Annie? hehe

#16 '''''

'''''

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 11:14 AM

and Bob still scares the living bejesus out of me when I think about him, let alone see him. He was terrible - in the true sense of that word.

I didn't sleep propley from age 11 through to 15 after seeing Bob in Twin Peaks.
the most terrifying charachter in any film for me by a long long way.

#17 redleather

redleather

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 01:25 PM

Honestly, although I am a big fan of Lynch movies, even "Dune"!, I don't like "Fire Walk With Me", I find it too obvious and without any "secret" or mystery, everything is so clear, too clear. Sometimes I think that it is the worst Lynch movie, maybe it isn't so bad but in contradistinction to "Twin Peaks" series it is...

And about "Eraserhead", I was lucky enough to see it few times in the cinema. It's dark, creepy and worth to see!

#18 astroboy64

astroboy64

White Blood Cells

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 01:45 PM

I didn't sleep propley from age 11 through to 15 after seeing Bob in Twin Peaks.
the most terrifying charachter in any film for me by a long long way.

Interesting, because that actor was originally working as a stagehand on the series, wasn't he? I'm pretty sure. Somebody just thought he looked right for the role of Bob, so he was chosen.

#19 southrules

southrules

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 02:24 PM

I have not seen it in years, have to check it out and see whats up. I like all of the Lynch stuff.

#20 Mr.Joshua

Mr.Joshua

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 03:39 PM

Interesting, because that actor was originally working as a stagehand on the series, wasn't he? I'm pretty sure. Somebody just thought he looked right for the role of Bob, so he was chosen.

the story goes(i think)...Lynch was doing a test shot of somthing and he got a stage hands reflection in the shot and watched it. the man looked very scary so they made him Bob. i don't think they even had a Bob until they did this. somthing like that anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users