31 replies to this topic

#1 denialtwister

denialtwister

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:43 PM

It's been a while since I've posted here! I just want to point out today is the 10th anniversary of Broken Boy Soldiers. I still remember rushing out to grab it and I stand by my opinion that the tour for that album was one of the best Jack has ever done. Just a total blast. 

#2 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:04 PM

Awwww, jeez...  I wasn't around when it was released, but it's meaningful to me as the album that finally made me dive down the Jack White rabbit hole.  Thank you for the reminder of its anniversary!

Can't help but wish TMR would do something special related to it this year, but you'd think if they were going to it would have been announced by now.

#3 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:11 PM

And now everything I love about this record is stuck in my head. From the sleeve and album art, to the songs...

#4 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,187 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:48 PM

It's been a while since I've posted here! I just want to point out today is the 10th anniversary of Broken Boy Soldiers. I still remember rushing out to grab it and I stand by my opinion that the tour for that album was one of the best Jack has ever done. Just a total blast.

First of all I want to say that it is really good to see you again :) and then secondly.................I can't believe that it has been 10 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!

I'll never forget the day I picked that cd up. It was a warm spring day and I left work early to buy the cd. I went to a park near where I bought it and sat in the sunshine and listened so carefully and was just astounded. It was so totally unique and refreshing. I was smitten so. And yes!!! The first tour was sooooo freak'in good. And the first Racs show that I saw of that tour was in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It was an amazing, fun tour. So much energy. SO much good karma.

Thank you so very much for reminding me. This is what The Little Room is all about :wub:

#5 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:18 PM

I remember driving over an hour to pick up the very first single before the album dropped. Steady As She Goes/Store Bought Bones. Also, I remember them streaming it on their cool video game/80s like website at the time.

I think the first live videos that were around were the ones I re-uploaded to youtube.

This take of Intimate Secretary... Amazing, poor LJ/BB vocal mix, but still great.

Edited by Ak1nney, 20 May 2016 - 03:20 PM.

#6 Day Tripper

Day Tripper

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:23 PM

Oh wow.  I remember too.  It was the week I graduated high school, but it was a Tuesday, which ended up being Kentucky's election day so we had the day off school.  My bff and I met at Circuit City at 10 am when it was released (lol. Circuit City) to buy it and sat in the parking lot listening to it.  Then we went to the mall, I got horribly sick, and ended up crying in the bathroom at Sears because I felt so awful and she drove me home and I slept the rest of the day.  What a great day  :mellow:

I spent so much of my summer on the Little Room, hanging out at the public library stealing their wifi because I had 56k at home, lmaooo.  I bought the single when our high school played in the state tournament and we go to the record store in ~the big city~.  I finally begged my mom to take me to the nearest show (in Cleveland, lol) and she flew my brother, my bff, and me up there to see them at the House of Blues.  THAT was a fantastic show.  Lord.

Man, nostalgia, what a drug.

#7 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:14 PM

Oh wow.  I remember too.  It was the week I graduated high school, but it was a Tuesday, which ended up being Kentucky's election day so we had the day off school.  My bff and I met at Circuit City at 10 am when it was released (lol. Circuit City) to buy it and sat in the parking lot listening to it.  

The days of showing up to retail stores to buy CDs on release day... Those were the days. I distinctively remember doing that for Get Behind Me Satan, Broken Boy Soldiers, Icky Thump, and Consolers of the Lonely.

Edited by Ak1nney, 21 May 2016 - 01:20 PM.

#8 JellyRoll Baker

JellyRoll Baker

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,805 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:54 PM

Fuck we're old.

#9 YDKWLI

YDKWLI

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:45 AM

Great to read those memories!

#10 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:19 PM

Fuck we're old.

:lol: 

#11 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:10 PM

This take of Intimate Secretary

I love the live version of this--thanks for posting it. Never understood why we seemed to get so many 2008 live records and webcasts, but a paucity of these killer 2006 shows. Fantastic tour, the energy and enthusiasm is incredible.

#12 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,284 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:25 PM

2006 makes me think of recording TV clips of The Raconteurs on a DVD recorder. After that I'd turn the recordings into XViDs before uploading them to YouSendIt and posting the links here

#13 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,232 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:09 PM

Fuck we're old.

This.

I don't think the album has aged that well and it always struck me as a bit uneven. That being said, I wanted nothing more than I wanted to go to that HOB show in Cleveland--but it was the night before tennis try-outs and my mom wouldn't let me. Still pissed off about that one since I remember hearing all the wild stories about the show and everyone hanging out after

#14 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:42 PM

I love the live version of this--thanks for posting it. Never understood why we seemed to get so many 2008 live records and webcasts, but a paucity of these killer 2006 shows. Fantastic tour, the energy and enthusiasm is incredible.

It would be nice to get an official live dvd or live vault LP release from the 2006 era. By the way, is the Austin City Limits tv performance available anywhere? I used to have it, but have been without it for a while now.

#15 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:58 AM

It would be nice to get an official live dvd or live vault LP release from the 2006 era...

The UK tour. Oh man, anything from the UK tour. Those shows were phenomenal.

#16 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:22 PM

The bootleg of the Leeds Festival show is one of my favorites. I wish I was able to catch some shows during that tour.

And I love this video of Store Bought Bones

#17 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,187 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:16 PM

I finally begged my mom to take me to the nearest show (in Cleveland, lol) and she flew my brother, my bff, and me up there to see them at the House of Blues.  THAT was a fantastic show.  Lord.

Man, nostalgia, what a drug.

OMG DT!!!!

I was at that show and it was AMAZING!!!! Remember how long it took us to get inside because they had a huge meet and greet before the show? I think we stood in line for a couple of hours or maybe it just felt like that. Anyway, once we got inside we parked our behinds behind this bar like table that had four chairs on the first level of the club. Pretty prime real estate. Before we knew it we were being ever so politely schooched out of the way by PK's parents and finance guy. :lol: :lol: :lol:!!! Super people so we ended up gushing and going on and on about how amazing their son is. And very soon afterward we all kinda settled in and let the show begin. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:........oh sigh......

Matthew ^^^^^^ Leeds 2006.....one of the best Rac shows EVER!!! Right venue, wrong year ;)...

Edited by kts1997, 28 May 2016 - 07:17 PM.

#18 The Crawling KingSnake

The Crawling KingSnake

Administrator

• El Presidente!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,439 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:50 AM

I once owned brokenboysoldiers.com (right when this came out) and had mock up of a website.  Unfortunately, it never came to be...

#19 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:51 AM

I remember seeing a Raconteurs message board (cant' remember the name of it) around the time I discovered the LR.  Checked it out a couple of times, but it seemed very much like the way folks here describe the old Candy Cane Children message board.  And I'm wishing now I'd spent more time on the official Racs website before it was taken down.

#20 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:31 PM

I remember seeing a Raconteurs message board (cant' remember the name of it) around the time I discovered the LR.  Checked it out a couple of times, but it seemed very much like the way folks here describe the old Candy Cane Children message board.  And I'm wishing now I'd spent more time on the official Racs website before it was taken down.

There was a site called The Raconteurs Live that had webcasts to stream and full soundboard from concerts. It disappeared around the time of the main site did... There is a lot of "vault" type stuff they could put out of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users