65 replies to this topic

#41 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:39 PM

Fuck it...let's start a Kickstarter fund to buy Tam a DeLorean.

Edited by J.C., 14 July 2015 - 02:40 PM.

#42 Day Tripper

Day Tripper

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:18 PM

Yes.  The green guitar was regularly fucked.  He ended a show at the Cannery early (one of the two initial shows for Consolers) because it kept fucking up during Blue Veins.  He stormed off stage after just a few songs, in the middle of Blue Veins, leaving the others onstage still playing.

#43 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:39 PM

Do other big, rich rock stars have such regular difficulty with their equipment?

I recall hearing someone at the JW show in Vancouver last August (that I attended) state that Jack blew an amp during the show, as though it was his fault (isn't that the roadies'/tech guys' problem?).

#44 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:50 PM

Brendan used a Guild Aristocrat--it looked like it outweighed him and was made from some old furniture but sounded great. I was disappointed when he stopped using it in 2008 and switched to a telecaster.

are you sure the Gretsch was yellow, Colin? (I never thought I would question you!) Was it possibly the early incarnation of the triple green machine that Randy Parsons famously customized for Jack?

Agreed mac.  The Guild sounded fantastic.

Has anyone watched Brendan do the Rig Rundown?  I just queued it up...

#45 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,765 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:50 PM

And then there was the infamous Coachella show at which he trashed the harmonica mic, his mic, and Brendan's mic, before storming off-stage.  Where's that damned time machine????  I need to go to that show, too.

And this is how he supposedly likes it, or so he keeps on saying.  When I saw the Racs at TMR, I was hanging onto the stage right next to his pedal board with my fingertips on the cables connecting to it.  It crossed my mind for about half a second to see how he'd react if I... uh, accidentally knocked a plug loose.  

This is a non-Racs memory, but the Wanda Jackson show in Brooklyn was a great example of equipment issues.  In the middle of a song, his techs had to replace both his guitar and his amp.  Wanda got flustered over it, but Jack didn't seem phased at all.  It was great to watch. Remember that, mac?

#46 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:38 PM

Yes, it was business as usual for Jack. He just kept rolling along like old man river until they got the Black Billy Bo and a working Fender amp exploding in my face. I had my hand near the pedalboard that night and wondered how loud I would scream if those patent leathers stomped my pinky.

#47 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,284 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:39 PM

Just for completeness, here are Jack's guitars from the March 2006 shows - click on thumbnails to enlarge:

Attached File  March 2006-Gretsch.jpg   91.69K   44 downloads

Attached File  March 2006-acoustic.jpg   73.79K   48 downloads

Attached File  March 2006-Airline.jpg   15.01K   32 downloads

(Grestch and acoustic photos by Peppermint Stripe from 2006.03.21 Glasgow show - see this post; Airline photo by Little Cream Soda from 2006.03.23 London show - see album link in this post)

#48 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,765 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:25 PM

^^ That first one became the Copper Top, didn't it?

#49 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,284 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:19 PM

Yes - the Gretsch as shown above was on its way to becoming the copper Triple Jet:

I will confirm that the Gretsch "Triple Jet" shown on the Stellartone site is Jack's personal guitar. Randy Parsons of Parson's Guitars built only three of this special model, which are all custom-made, and not in the Gretsch catalog. No more Gretsch Triple Jets will be made.

Both of the preceding photos in this thread show the semi-completed guitar with the non-gloss copper metallic finish. The final finishing phase created the ultra-glossy zero-texture copper finish, first seen on Conan O'Brian on May 18th. I am uncertain if the other two Triple Jets have received the high-gloss treatment as yet.

This is a truly beautiful instrument. I believe additional photos can be viewed on the Parson's Guitars website. Please click below for photos of the completed guitar.

About the electronics: Stellartone provided the ToneStyler 16-position tone selector, which is wired as the master tone control, installed in the first (upper) control knob position. The center knob is the gain control for the custom active circuit dedicated to the middle pickup; and the third (lowest) knob is the master volume. All three pickups are Gretsch Filtertrons; the set of three toggles select the three pickups; and the single toggle is a master mute switch. For you Gretsch fans out there: the ToneStyler provides 14 discrete capacitor selections; setting #2 & #4 are the same as the Gretsch three-way tone selector switch. http://www.gretschgu.../schematic2.pdf . The next ten settings (#5 through #14) in the ToneStyler's capacitance series are progressively brighter & clearer; #15 is true bypass, and #16 is "stock tone pot on 10". Check out the website for more information: www.stellartone.com

post-31531-1150616797.jpg

post-31531-1150616820.jpg

#50 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:52 AM

thank you, colin

#51 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:39 AM

^^ That first one became the Copper Top, didn't it?

That first one was the original Copper guitar. I believe Jack stated a lot of it as made out of Copper too. He had problems with the copper frets wearing down really easy and other issues because of it. So then came the one we all know. 

Source: Useless information I stored in my brain.

#52 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,765 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:51 AM

^^ Haha, I remember that useful information about the copper frets, too  ;)

#53 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:06 AM

That first one was the original Copper guitar. I believe Jack stated a lot of it as made out of Copper too. He had problems with the copper frets wearing down really easy and other issues because of it. So then came the one we all know. 

Source: Useless information I stored in my brain.

Copper frets is a terrible idea.  I'm not really sure how anyone could think that would work, quite frankly.

#54 angelos

angelos

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:31 AM

Just remembered Copper Kid ! 

#55 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:26 PM

Just remembered Copper Kid ! 

#56 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,765 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:12 PM

^^  One of the best videos ever.

#57 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:37 AM

LJ is such a badass!

#58 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:46 PM

I hope when Jack gets back to music, he does so with this band. Jack's recent output seriously lacks melody in my opinion, and Brendan could bring that to the table. I love Jack's deliverance in songs like Lazaretto, but he's really becoming more of a rapper who raps over interesting guitar parts. That's why I love Alone In My Home, he's actually singing.

#59 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:58 PM

I seriously don't expect another album from the Raconteurs, but stranger things have happened.

#60 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:12 AM

Definitely miss this band. It'd be a good year to reunite. 

Always loved this video for some reason, probably the insane intro and the energy of that audience. Jack was having the vocal problems, but it's just a fun version of the song with the guitar troubles and such.

Edited by Ak1nney, 25 February 2016 - 01:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users