65 replies to this topic

#21 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:46 PM

well, something tells me that 3rd racs album with no tour could be a next thing  :rolleyes:

edit : big warm thank you Kali :)

Edited by kluczmen, 11 July 2015 - 03:46 PM.

#22 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:12 PM

That AOL interview is great. And the performances at the end of it are golden. I love the way Yellow Sun falls apart at the end. And why haven't I heard that acoustic Blue Veins before? It's gorgeous.

Anyone know what acoustic guitar Jack used in the beginning of the Racs?  He didn't get Rita till the second tour, right?  But that sounds too bright to be his Gibson.

#23 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:21 AM

Anyone know what acoustic guitar Jack used in the beginning of the Racs?  He didn't get Rita till the second tour, right?  But that sounds too bright to be his Gibson.

Rita was the one he used in the White Stripes. Claudette was the Raconteurs acoustic guitar (which he also used in 2006). I believe he also had another acoustic that he used in 2006, but I forget what it is.

#24 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:47 AM

I know who'll know. I'll let you know.

and thanks, tam! I've listened to the interface interview a few times, but only as a podcast. pretty cool to have it.

Edited by macwacky, 12 July 2015 - 03:04 AM.

#25 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

Ah, guitars...

I think Claudette was modified over time, yes?  Isn't the first pic her before the double batwing guards and the engraving?  I don't think Jack had the extra work done until the 2007 TWS tour with Rita.  You'll also see a burst Gibson being used for some radio and in-store things, as in the second pic.  I don't know...did he play that live in '06?  What model was the one John Lennon played...Jack's looks pretty similar.

JackRacsAcoustic.jpg

jackishot.jpg

#26 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:33 PM

The reason I ask is that I normally can't stand how jangly Claudette and Rita sound, but the acoustic in that AOL Interface performance has a very bright sound without all the jangliness.  It sounds lovely on Blue Veins.  So I was wondering whether it was the-Gretsch-that-became-Claudette or something else.  

That second photo does look like '06, based on Jack's hair.

#27 Day Tripper

Day Tripper

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:45 PM

Second pic is definitely 2006.  I wanna say it's the instore at Tower Records in NYC?  Jack Lawrence is playing the Epiphone so it's early 2006 at that.

#28 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:43 PM

Ah, guitars...

I think Claudette was modified over time, yes?  Isn't the first pic her before the double batwing guards and the engraving?  I don't think Jack had the extra work done until the 2007 TWS tour with Rita.  You'll also see a burst Gibson being used for some radio and in-store things, as in the second pic.  I don't know...did he play that live in '06?  What model was the one John Lennon played...Jack's looks pretty similar.

Yes, he used a Gibson J1160e

is that amoeba records?

Edited by macwacky, 13 July 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#29 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:09 PM

I miss these sorts of conversations. 

#30 Day Tripper

Day Tripper

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:11 PM

Yes, he used a Gibson J1160e

is that amoeba records?

Detective work reveals it is:

http://www.amoeba.co...raconteurs.html

2006 was such an exciting summer for me.  I ate up all those posts, live shows, etc.  I was just out of high school.  wow.  I miss that.

Edited by Day Tripper, 13 July 2015 - 04:12 PM.

#31 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

Oh my, the plaid pants...

I miss that I missed 2006 in the LR  :(

#32 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:51 PM

I guess we'd best get building you a time machine.

It'll be powered by Doritos.

Edited by J.C., 13 July 2015 - 04:51 PM.

#33 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

I guess we'd best get building you a time machine.

I'm waiting for that addition to TMR's Novelty Lounge!  The Third Man Records black'n'yellow time machine. I've got a list of times and places already, beginning with the WS shows at the Bowery Ballroom (the infamous NKHTTTC shows), then the Racs shows at the 9:30 Club in 2008, then any of the Racs 2006 UK shows, then...

#34 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,284 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:06 PM

I remembered posting some equipment stuff after one of the 2006 Raconteurs shows:

I've got a better idea of the equipment now:

Dean - keyboards, tambourine, vocals plus yellow Airline (from "Steady..." video)
Brendan - two pickup Guild with harp-shaped metal piece where the lead plugs in (rather fancy looking); Gibson semi-acoustic with white parts inlaid between the frets (i.e. acoustic which plugs in - this is what I mean by semi-acoustic)
Jack - three pickup yellow Gretsch with silver knobs and arm; yellow three pickup Airline similar to Dean's one but Airline written diagonally and there's a bit more black on the body of Jack's one (not used at all in Glasgow); Gibson semi-acoustic (different to Brendan's)
Lil' Jack - bass (looked like Gibson on the head but too far away to be sure - looks just like the bass he uses with The Greenhornes)

The spare guitar looked pure white but it was never used so I don't know

#35 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:08 AM

Brendan used a Guild Aristocrat--it looked like it outweighed him and was made from some old furniture but sounded great. I was disappointed when he stopped using it in 2008 and switched to a telecaster.

are you sure the Gretsch was yellow, Colin? (I never thought I would question you!) Was it possibly the early incarnation of the triple green machine that Randy Parsons famously customized for Jack?

Edited by macwacky, 14 July 2015 - 03:10 AM.

#36 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

Brendan used a Guild Aristocrat--it looked like it outweighed him and was made from some old furniture but sounded great. I was disappointed when he stopped using it in 2008 and switched to a telecaster.

are you sure the Gretsch was yellow, Colin? (I never thought I would question you!) Was it possibly the early incarnation of the triple green machine that Randy Parsons famously customized for Jack?

08325_110657_racontuers77paphotoL250308.

The yellow triple pick up guitar he is referencing is in the original Steady, As She Goes video and was used at the beginning of the tour. It's a  Airline Town and Country dlx. I actually own a 2 pickup 1962 Airline Town and Country. Oh, and it's also used in The Raconteurs tour rehearsal videos on the vault.

Here is the remake by eastwood:
http://www.eastwoodg...-vintage-cream/

And the Steady, As She Goes video:

Edited by Ak1nney, 14 July 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#37 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

I'm not really very knowledgable when it comes to geeetars, but it does seems like Jack used more expensive and/or stylish-looking guitars with the Racs than with TWS or solo.  Guess he didn't want to be, uh, "challenged" onstage as much when he wasn't doing his own thing.

Edited by J.C., 14 July 2015 - 02:27 PM.

#38 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:28 PM

Oh, he still had plenty of challenges. That harmonica mic in the Green Machine gave him regular issues, didn't it? 

#39 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:33 PM

You guys would know better than I.  I mean, I saw the Racs live in 2006 and 2008, but haven't watched many other shows.

Edited by J.C., 14 July 2015 - 02:33 PM.

#40 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:37 PM

I've never seen the Green Machine live  :(  Did see the Copper Top in 2011, which was darned cool.  But no harmonica mic zipping back into the body of the Green Machine.  Add that to my TMR time machine list...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users