20 replies to this topic

#1 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:26 AM

In the years following Consolers of the Lonely, both Brendan and Jack have put out a few solo albums. After hearing them write together and develop a sound, I can't help but feel like some of their solo songs could have been done well as Raconteurs songs. Ones that jump out at me the most are

-Alone in my Home (JW)

-LIght of Day (BB)

-Swimming (BB)

-On and On and On (JW)

I do think its kind of funny that the sound of most Jack's Raconteurs essentially became the sound of his solo material. White Stripes always had a bit of country in them, but they had a vibe all their own because of the restrictions and rules. I remember people calling The Raconteurs "southern fried rock" or comparing it to a heavier Neil Young. I guess it was really just Jack being Jack more than being The Raconteurs (obviously this doesn't apply to every song, especially the ones BB mostly wrote). Songs like Top Yourself or Carolina Drama wouldn't feel out of place on his solo albums at all.

I even see a huge similarity in style, mood, tone, whatever you want to call it. That old fashioned, electricity just invented, ominous vibe seems to shadow over both this band and his solo work, only difference being it feels like The Raconteurs were dipped in copper and Jack White's solo show takes place on the set of Luigi's Mansion.

#2 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:41 AM

Huh. Interesting idea, one that's certainly going to influence how I hear these songs the next time I listen to them.

Now that you've got me thinking about it, I'm remembering how I immediately drew a parallel between Would You Fight For My Love? and Blue Veins when I heard WYFFML on Record Store Day, before I even heard it on the album. And I've been wishing he'd do You Don't Understand Me on his solo tour.  

#3 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:43 AM

As a creative person, I can't help but think about Jack's songs in this way. I know that he goes under many titles, White Stripes, Solo, Raconteurs, Dead Weather, PRODUCER, etc, but everyone has natural tendencies, patterns, a STYLE that is hard to shake off. I can see veins connecting all of Jack's albums, despite the group he was part of. Also, just about everything he produces sounds like his own music.

#4 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

I'd love to get your thoughts on how his style has crept into the Blue Series releases. I can definitely hear it in many of them, and I'm not talking only of the ones he performed on.  

#5 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:17 AM

The track that jumps out at me would be Weep Themselves to Sleep. It just has that sound that is most similar to The Raconteurs. The keys, guitar, the little instrumental breaks. I could also picture Brendan singing backgound on the chorus really well. And of course PK and LJ would kill it on the rhythm section.

#6 CHEEKY

CHEEKY

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:17 PM

I thought that from the first time I listened to Jack's solo stuff, a lot of them sounded like left over Racs that didn't make the dinner table.

It's not a jab, just an opinion, the music is still good. 

#7 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:11 PM

Regardless of who's actually got writing credit on the individual Racs songs, I tend to find most of the lyrics, on average, considerably less interesting and/or provocative (too straightforward) than Jack's solo material.  Though I can certainly see similarities between Jack solo and Racs, instrumentally and genre-wise.

Which is to say, if Jack only did solo material in the future (album-wise...obviously he'd still be drawing from the Stripes in live performances), and left the Racs and TDW in the past, I'd be completely fine with that.

Edited by J.C., 11 February 2015 - 03:12 PM.

#8 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:01 PM

Regardless of who's actually got writing credit on the individual Racs songs, I tend to find most of the lyrics, on average, considerably less interesting and/or provocative (too straightforward) than Jack's solo material.  Though I can certainly see similarities between Jack solo and Racs, instrumentally and genre-wise.

Which is to say, if Jack only did solo material in the future (album-wise...obviously he'd still be drawing from the Stripes in live performances), and left the Racs and TDW in the past, I'd be completely fine with that.

I've no wish for the Dead Weather to continue. I love the two Raconteurs albums as much as anything WS or Jack related in general, but I almost feel like its too late at this point. If he and Brendan have some songs that they legit need to collaborate on to finish, then by all means let's have another Raconteurs album, but if its just the two of them bringing songs that are pretty much completed to the table, I'm not sure there's any point with both songwriters deep in solo careers. 

Jack is a veteran at this point. Its quite possible that we already have witnessed his "peak." Across all his bands, he's put out 12 albums (wow!). That's a lot of history behind him, and while I don't doubt his ability to still make great material, I do worry that he'd be spreading himself too thin. I'd rather he take 3-4 years in between records now and make something GREAT instead of popping out albums every year under many different band names just to satisfy his work ethic ADHD

And back on the topic, Brendan's "Rejuvenate Me" totally has Raconteurs potential, though I suspect it would have sounded a bit rawer

Edited by steadyasshegoes, 11 February 2015 - 04:04 PM.

#9 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:15 PM

I'd be fine with Jack producing a solo album every two-to-three years for the next decade, with no other band commitments.  When you get to four or five years between albums, you start creeping towards being a "celebrity" more than a career musician.

And I just don't find Brendan 1/10th as interesting as Jack as a performer, songwriter, or musician, having listened to both Racs albums a number of times and seeing them live in 2006 and 2008.  I think both Racs albums are pretty good:  nothing more, nothing less.

#10 bigbayblue

bigbayblue

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:50 PM

As much as it pained me to admit it to myself, I did not like either of the Dead Weather albums.  I've been firmly in the camp of those that believe it's a complete waste of Jack White to make him a drummer.

But I will always be for Jack doing whatever inspires him, even if it's not what I want him to be doing.  And oddly enough I've liked all four of the Dead Weather songs from the post-Sea of Cowards singles.  Open Up (That's Enough) has a riff that just screams White Stripes.

#11 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:36 AM

The track that jumps out at me would be Weep Themselves to Sleep. It just has that sound that is most similar to The Raconteurs. The keys, guitar, the little instrumental breaks. I could also picture Brendan singing backgound on the chorus really well. And of course PK and LJ would kill it on the rhythm section.

Yep I've always thought that and I actually think it would work better as a Raconteurs song.

#12 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:45 AM

It's an interesting thought, solo songs that could have been Racs songs, though none of the Jack solo songs mentioned here strike me as Racs material. off the top of my noggin, i might make a case for Trash Tongue Talker, High Ball Stepper (Some of the structure brings to mind COTL and the Bane Rendition), Missing Pieces...

maybe you're right about Alone In My Home--that could actually rock. i suppose i should open my mind. I recant.

Edited by macwacky, 12 February 2015 - 02:46 AM.

#13 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:20 PM

It's an interesting thought, solo songs that could have been Racs songs, though none of the Jack solo songs mentioned here strike me as Racs material. off the top of my noggin, i might make a case for Trash Tongue Talker, High Ball Stepper (Some of the structure brings to mind COTL and the Bane Rendition), Missing Pieces...

maybe you're right about Alone In My Home--that could actually rock. i suppose i should open my mind. I recant.

We could also talk all day about which songs would be on stripes albums... I don't think I want to open my mind that wide though.

#14 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:22 PM

...I think both Racs albums are pretty good:  nothing more, nothing less.

I take this back.  Listened to both albums, back-to-back last night, and I think the second album is vastly superior to the first one.  Far more fully-realized compositions, better lyrics, better production.

In fact, I don't think I ever want to listen to Broken Boy Soldiers again, in my lifetime.  But I'll gladly listen to Consolers Of The Lonely every couple of years.  I've never been overly fond of Steady, and I'm kind of sick of it now.  The recorded version of Broken Boy Soldier needed to have the guitars a bit more upfront, IMO; it's too hollow sounding.  Together's lyrics, especially the first verse, are bloody awful (like, Bryan Adams-level bad).  Intimate Secretary:  "I've got a rabbit, it likes to hop"/"I've got a girl and she likes to shop"...ugh (I like "red Japanese teapot", though).  Level is like a commercial for a song.  Blue Veins even feels pretty routine on the record (it's much better live, with more guitar work from Jack).  Overall, I just think it's a pretty standard-issue power pop album.

Consolers, on the other hand, is a very consistent, fully fleshed-out record.  While Jack's musical eccentricities were pretty much on hiatus when he was with the Racs (aside from his weird vocals on Five On The Five), the varied instrumentation and quite strong melodies make even the less nuanced lyrics on the record more palatable (or tolerable...they don't draw attention to themselves).

Yeah, the second album deserves far more praise than the first one, in my estimation. 

#15 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:23 AM

Oh yeah. I personally do like them both, but Consolers is the superior album. I love their cover of Rich Kid Blues, Love Many Shades of Black, Carolina Drama, and the "back and forthyness" of Brendan and Jack's parts in Consolers is one of my favorite things either of them have ever put out (SUCH A JAM!!). There's a lot to like about that album

#16 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

Both Raconteurs are brilliant and great. I love the songs and vibes of both albums. I pretty much hardly ever spin my Dead Weather albums. I could listen to Broken Boy Soldiers and Consolers once a month easily. Both have amazing actual album feels. The simplicity of BBS is great and contrasts amazing to Consolers. I'm a huge Raconteurs fan. To each their own though. I've heard people claim they like the Dead Weather more than the Raconteurs, and that blows my mind. You can't define personal tastes. 

I'd love to see a new Raconteurs album even before a new Jack White solo album. Just my opinion though. We could debate all day, nothing would be right or wrong in the end.

#17 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:05 PM

Fair enough. 

I think I might actually prefer the sonics and/or atmosphere of The Dead Weather (moody organ, etc.) to The Raconteurs, but I think the songwriting on the Racs' second album is vastly superior to either TDW album, particularly the (IMO, rushed) second one.  I don't begrudge anyone enjoying what they enjoy; I just wish I enjoyed the first Racs album a lot more than I do.

Edited by J.C., 14 February 2015 - 05:05 PM.

#18 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:30 AM

Fair enough. 

I think I might actually prefer the sonics and/or atmosphere of The Dead Weather (moody organ, etc.) to The Raconteurs, but I think the songwriting on the Racs' second album is vastly superior to either TDW album, particularly the (IMO, rushed) second one.  I don't begrudge anyone enjoying what they enjoy; I just wish I enjoyed the first Racs album a lot more than I do.

Dead Weather do have some wild sonics/atmosphere to them. Like a gothic swamp. But to me the atmosphere isn't enough, I don't find the songs strong enough.

#19 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

I agree.

#20 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

I have always wanted, and still would love, a Raconteurs version of Good to Me. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users