#1 dannypal

dannypal

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

Hi everyone,

It's been a while! I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm thinking of selling 2 raconteurs posters on eBay but I don't know how much they are worth. I am only selling as I can't afford to frame them. I have one from the uk tour from 2006, it's probably the most common poster. But I also have one from new years eve (2006 I think) which I've not seen many of. Do people still collect them these days? And are they worth selling?

Thanks

#2 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,681 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

You might have better luck getting that information over at White Swirl, the collector's forum. The folks there know everything about this sort of stuff-- http://www.whiteswir...forum/index.php

#3 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,059 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hi everyone,

It's been a while! I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm thinking of selling 2 raconteurs posters on eBay but I don't know how much they are worth. I am only selling as I can't afford to frame them. I have one from the uk tour from 2006, it's probably the most common poster. But I also have one from new years eve (2006 I think) which I've not seen many of. Do people still collect them these days? And are they worth selling?

Thanks

Go to expressobeans.com. You will get better results. The people over there are serious traders and you can track prior sales of any RJ print out there. I will tell you that the Racs runs were in higher quantities than most WS prints that RJ had done in previous years. Also, Rob has taken to selling tour prints by the package after a tour ends. For example, one could purchase maybe a dozen prints from a dozen different shows for $600.00. The market may be a bit saturated. Just say'in.

#4 dannypal

dannypal

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the advice signed up to that other forum and going to look into that expressobean.com I'm not expecting loads for them. I brought both from new, I seem to remember the uk tour poster was one of the most widely available one. But I didn't often see the new years poster up for sale.

It's a shame I really like the new years poster but it's too big and my girlfriend doesn't like it lol

#5 Screwdriven

Screwdriven

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

Expressobeans is nice in that if you have a poster you don't want to frame, you can likely work out a trade with another user.

The above comments are correct, though. The market is saturated and no one is really paying top dollar for posters on eBay at the moment. I've had a spare DW/Bowery poster (and several, several others) I've been meaning to get rid of, but the price has dropped so steeply since the months immediately following the show.

I'd recommend holding onto your posters. You absolutely never know what they could be worth later on. If JW died unexpectedly, I'd imagine that his old merchandise (particularly tour posters and tri-colored vinyl discs) would spike in value. I'm not suggesting that you should cross your fingers and hope for the worst, but it might behoove you to hold onto what you have. They might, of course, provide a healthy bit of nostalgia for you several years down the line.

Also, the Rac NYE poster from Chicago is a great poster. I have mine framed and hanged nicely. Keep it and enjoy it later. I can't afford to frame all my posters at the moment either, but at some point they'll all be under glass.

Edited by Screwdriven, 01 September 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#6 dannypal

dannypal

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:41 AM

Hmmm I really don't know what to do with them. They aren't even at my house, they are at my mums and i haven't looked at them for years.

I do like the the nye poster but I did not go to the show so it doesn't have any sentimental value to me. But I'd rather keep it than sell it for nothing. I might try and set up a trade on swirl for records or something

#7 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,059 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

You can purchase archival sleeves for them. Slip them in a sleeve and slide them under your bed. I've got a stack of them and the prints are in excellent condition. There is an entire thread dedicated to this somewhere. As soon as Colin gets a wiff of this, he will set us up with a link. I am certain of it :)

Edited by kts1997, 02 September 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#8 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

Many of the poster threads got caught up in people asking for others to buy posters for them at shows. Eventually those discussions and many of the people involved decamped to White Swirl. That would be your best source for more info on those posters.

Unless you want to actually display them, storing them flat on an acid-free backing board in an archival sleeve is the way to go. It occurs to me that quite a few of my posters are still in the tubes I received them in :unsure: I'll need to sort some better storage out for them

#9 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,059 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

:o :o !!! You almost made me faint. Oh please get them out of the tubes.

I recall a company by the name of mr.art supplies...I think :huh: ...for the archival sleeves and yes, yes, yes, acid free boards.

#10 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

Yes, WhiteSwirl, PLUS know that the market on posters has tanked in the last couple years. You might be able to get something worthwhile for the NYE, but it probably won't be what you could have gotten for it back in, say, 08. 7th_Son is selling one on swirl right now listed at $90 and I doubt it will sell at that. http://www.whiteswir...products_id=214

Edited by billdore, 11 October 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#11 Kaber

Kaber

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

A lot of framers will cut a matte for you so if you get a slightly bigger frame that could cost you a lot less to frame.

Raconteurs prints haven't really held their value even though some are Rob at his best.

#12 Latz31

Latz31

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:37 AM

I agree with a lot of people saying that these things have not held their value over the last couple of years. But I have 14 Rob Jones posters in frames covering my walls. I just recently added the Jack White 5/12 LA show print to my collection. It is HUGE and I framed it in a black matte and etched up silver frame and it is AWESOME.

I bought my 1st print back in '06 (detroit 10/2/05 show, red background) and its just been a love affair since. I finally got one of my coveted ones (blackpool '05). My white whale is France '04, the Joan of Arc one. These things hang on my wall and make me happy every day. I really adore them. Actually once when I got into a HUGE blowout with a live in GF and she called up a friend when I wasnt there and took all of my framed prints off of the wall and left with them. I called the cops I was so crazy.

Anyway. I guess my point is: are you buying these as an investment or because you love them. I could sell my framed '05 Blackpool at a 50% loss 10 years from now and be just fine with it. Because it makes me happy every day seeing that polar bear and penguin face to face and wondering what they are talking about.

Andrew

#13 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,059 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

I adore my Blackpool :wub: .

Thanks Andrew.

#14 DeathLetter

DeathLetter

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

I got White Stripes UK Tour 2004 posters (the jack one and the meg one), and the poster from the first ever Racs gig in Liverpool 2006.

Guess they won't be putting my kids through college after all. Ho hum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users