155 replies to this topic

#141 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

watched the DVD last night. Yeah, Patrick really got shortchanged with the camera angles. Nevermind his appeal with the ladies, he's a great musician to watch perform. He truly enjoys playing drums. He is so tuned in to his instrument and expressing his every emotion through his drumming. Individual expression yet it primarily serves the band as a whole and the song at hand. Unfortunately the DVD captures none of this.

Yes, Patrick is phenominal. His style is so great, and he does so much, but at the same time, if you're not paying attention to him, you forget how detailed and ridiculously good his drumming is on everything. It's amazing how a drummer can play so much and so detailed (while not overplaying), yet it's not obvious or distracting. One of the best drummers of this generation.

#142 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

One of the best and most overlooked drummers of this generation.

Fixed that for you.

#143 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Fixed that for you.

Thanks ;)

#144 kandykanekidd

kandykanekidd

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

Just gave this a watch and I agree with those who have a problem with the mix. Also the editing shits me, a slight fade with every single shot...I think this was slapped together very quickly, too quickly. There are certain stylistic things that Jack White/Third Man would change if they played a greater part in its release. I am really hoping they put out one of their own, hopefully one from their 2006 shows.

With that said, I cannot complain about having a good Raconteurs Live DVD. Best track - Blue Veins.

#145 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

love this concert. one of the best band to emerge in the 2000's as a live act

#146 DeathLetter

DeathLetter

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Is there a Region 2 dvd does anyone know? Or is it region-free?

#147 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,795 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

I have peered closely at every inch of the disc and sleeve, and it doesn't say anything about regions at all. So perhaps it's region-free?

#148 DeathLetter

DeathLetter

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Just watched You Don't Understand Me on YouTube.

hmmm. Jack's vocal not on top form, tempo a bit slow and the mix wasn't great. Didn't sound like their greatest night to be honest.

#149 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

It's a good show. Not the best show, but not an off night. It's very entertaining on blu ray.

#150 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

I'm finally watching this thanks to my momma who got me an Amazon certificate for my birthday (I also got "The Godfather Part Two!"). The last song just started, so I feel qualified to comment. I thoroughly enjoyed this presentation. I got the blu-ray and I'm playing it so loud the children left home. I avoided this thread and have read no reviews, so I'll probably be back blithering again after I read that stuff to argue with everybody and call you dumb. So anyway, I love the Raconteurs on TV in HD! It's rather like going to a concert in my boxer shorts, and the beer is free, plus I get to pet the dog sometimes. The sound is clear and loud. I have maximized the volume, which creates the pleasing sensation that the house may cave in, or the windows explode. Blackwell's liner notes, although awkwardly written at times, contained some interesting information. Jack White's haircut in 2008 was terrible, and was he wearing pancake makeup? Lisa (my wife) noticed that. It was a good night to film them, they put on a good show that particular evening. The Raconteurs are my least favorite "Jack" project, but that's like saying "That was the worst blowjob I ever got." It's a blowjob. Blowjobs are good, regardless. Bottom line: Loved it. Nice work. No bonus content, though? Hm.

#151 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

The sound mix was fine (I chose the "master" one), and I didn't notice any strange fade-outs in the edits. Maybe your machine is broken, Person Who Said That. I also didn't notice "not enough Keeler." I thought there was a fine amount of Keeler, Lawrence and "other guy." Too many close-ups of Brendan Benson and his disgusting attempt at facial hair (WHAT IS THAT ON HIS LIP?!), and plenty of Jack White. He makes the best faces when he sings. Anyway, I really only care to look at Jack White and Jack Lawrence. Those two people entertain me. Drummers just sit there, this is not compelling viewing for me (although Keeler is more entertaining than most). The "other guy," who cares. Show him or don't show him, whatever.
We need hi-def concert films for all of Jack's bands now!

#152 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,783 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

We need hi-def concert films for all of Jack's bands now!

From your mouth to God's ears to the gyroscope in Jack's brain.

#153 Nogard

Nogard

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

I think everybody got scared looking at "The Other Guy" in hig def :D

#154 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,795 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

Too many close-ups of Brendan Benson and his disgusting attempt at facial hair (WHAT IS THAT ON HIS LIP?!)

To be fair, though, Jack's attempts at sideburns haven't been much more successful.

#155 CodyT3212

CodyT3212

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

Finally got a job, so when my first pay check rolls around this will be the absolute first thing I pick up.

#156 CodyT3212

CodyT3212

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

I know I'm quite late to the party, but here are my thoughts on this release.

For the most part I love it. BUT there are several things that I don't care for. These are those things:
  • (Big) Jacks vocals are especially cringe worthy during certain songs, such as Rich Kid Blues. I'm guessing this was filmed mid to late tour so I understand that his voice might have been exhausted, but if that is the case they should have shot a sooner show for a DVD release. Just sayin'.
  • The version of Intimate Secretary they dish out is absolutely awful. Sluggish and messy. It almost sounds as though they forgot how to play it or something. Also, Brendan forgets the lyrics here (and on some other songs too I think) which is pretty inexusable given that this song is already pretty damn juvenile and simple in terms of songwriting. Just sayin'.
  • The crowd is so dead except for during Steady As She Goes. Honestly, a good concert DVD is always about much more than just the quality of the filming and the bands performance. A good atmosphere is key....and this pretty much lacks it
I will say this though: this release was a nice surprise and although I much prefer some of the Racs bootlegs to this, its still nice to have an official one. Oh and I hadn't heard Keep it Clean before now! I love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users