#1 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

http://blogs.laweekl...mplete_list.php
Ah, lists. What would we do without lists? Think for ourselves? I DON'T THINK. so.

#2 JackFlash

JackFlash

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

The comments under that article are the most entertaining thing I've seen all day. "WTF ur ratarted Dave Matthews is like the most talented musician of all times u dont know anything about music"

#3 Astra

Astra

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

That list is crazy. Fleet Foxes? Rush? Eagles? What is the average age involved here? And many of those groups are 90's one hitters that slid off into the abyss. lol

#4 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

I dunno, the only good bands on that list of 20 are the Raconteurs and the Sex Pistols. There are a few I've never heard any music by (LCD Sound System, Fleet Foxes, and... was it Pretty Greasy or something? I can't even remember now! Whatever it was I'd never heard of it before). And there were a few easy targets (Eagles, Dave Matthews, Rush). But the Red Hot Chili Peppers should always be the # 1 entry on any "worst" list. Lazy journalism, whatever periodical this is from! Obviously they are the worst ever. The only thing wrong with the Raconteurs is Brendan Benson. Get rid of that guy and you have a band. Same goes for Sid Vicious in the Sex Pistols, although it's probably too late now.

#5 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:52 AM

1. I'm crushingly disappointed, as I thought the thread title meant the Racs had compiled a list of the 20 worst bands, and I was dying to see it.

2. You don't convince me that a band is bad by illustrating your pathetic little blurb with a pic of Patrick Keeler looking devastatingly hot. Sorry.

#6 JellyRoll Baker

JellyRoll Baker

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,797 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:05 AM

I always assumed that The Dave Matthews Band and Hootie & Teh Blowfish were the same band just wearing Scooby Doo villain style rubber masks when doing their Dave Matthews thing. Thing again I've always had a problem with telling different kinds of things apart.

FUN FACT: If I can remember my single days well (and they were a VERY LONG TIME AGO) if a girl owns a Dave Matthews album is pretty much a sure sign that she'll be crap in bed. True!

Edited by JellyRoll Baker, 19 February 2012 - 04:29 AM.

#7 denialtwister

denialtwister

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:24 AM

I'm assuming the article is meant as a troll. A 20 worst bands list without Nickelback and Limp Bizkit? Obviously a fake.

#8 Conquest85

Conquest85

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:40 AM

Yeah that was pretty much a troll to me.

#9 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,877 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:53 AM

while i can agree with a lot of the bands on that list, its clear whoever made that list is just being obstinate and picking on big popular bands to stir up controversy in an attempt to start discussion on their shit ass blog.

chances are if the raconteurs are on your list of 20 worst bands ever, you've probably only ever listened to 22 bands.

#10 jrfhoutx

jrfhoutx

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:38 AM

wow... troll much?

I dunno, the only good bands on that list of 20 are the Raconteurs and the Sex Pistols.

And there were a few easy targets (Eagles, Dave Matthews, Rush).

I realize most of this is probably tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, you call the Eagles and Rush easy targets, but say that one of the worst perpetrators of fake punk music, a completely manufactured-for-shock-value, put together for no reason other than to cash in on the punk scene, band is one of the only good bands on the list is absurd... as is most of this list...

#11 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:47 AM

Well, I don't buy that so-called manufactured bands are automatically bad. The Monkees, 1910 Fruitgum Company, etc, they put out some nifty stuff. That Sex Pistols album was good. "Submission," that's a funky song, dig the bass on that sometime. Don't worry, it wasn't played by Sid Vicious!

Hmmm... are the Raconteurs and the Dead Weather "manufactured" bands? What are the criteria?

#12 jrfhoutx

jrfhoutx

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:42 AM

I would go on the basis that the band members had nothing to do with the creation of the band, that it was management that put together a band to sell records...

Yes, Nevermind the Bollocks was a good album, but it doesn't make the Sex Pistols' notoriety legit IMO. So they got on stage, barely played some of the music on their album, said and did some provacative stuff, Lydon acted the fool (as they paid him to do and picked him solely to do) and Sid OD'd... lots of bands do that, doesn't make them good and certainly not deserving of the praise they so often get... But, at the same time I cut my teeth in the realm of punk to the Sex Pistols, and I don't feel they deserve to be on this list... I'd put Green Day on it before I put the Sex Pistols on it...

of course The Monkees were good, they were basically a front band for Neil Diamond's music, he wrote a large number of their hits...

I would call the Racs and TDW collaborative bands, the band members are the reative force behind the music, the music isn't written by non-band members and purchased by a record company so they would have something to play; and the band members are the ones who put the band together, not some record exec...

I would agree with say (about) half the list they have...

#13 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

(Chinese fortune cookie say "spastic mouse finger leads to wrong thread"...)

Edited by Kali Durga, 19 February 2012 - 07:25 AM.

#14 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:41 AM

1. I'm crushingly disappointed, as I thought the thread title meant the Racs had compiled a list of the 20 worst bands, and I was dying to see it.

2. You don't convince me that a band is bad by illustrating your pathetic little blurb with a pic of Patrick Keeler looking devastatingly hot. Sorry.

Haha! I agree

#15 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,084 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

Hey, it's LA and they were number 19. :wacko:

#16 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

Rag mama rag..... fuck that noize ... selling website hits for advertisers does take a lot of pages now doesnt it??

​What makes a terrible band? Is it being prepared to do the wrong thing, whatever the price? That and a pair of testicles. Only, some of the below groups possess testicles only in the symbolic sense. Because, even if you're composed of ladies, it takes balls to make music that is simultaneously pretentious and dopey, derivative and uniquely craptastic. ,,,we take this shit very seriously, even enlisting objective third party analysts to review our findings for accuracy. -Ben Westhoff

did you make your dime today buddy?? i sure hope you never forget who you are when you walk between 2 tourbuses when that Blunderbuss hits you square between the quotation marks...ha

Edited by thee radical eclectic, 19 February 2012 - 09:54 AM.

#17 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

Haha watch out for the green monster, it's not appealing at all.

#18 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

the music makes the lists. whatever ends up spinning wins. even shitty bands are subjectively appreciated by the ear. what ever turns your table.

Edited by sunhouse, 19 February 2012 - 05:38 PM.

#19 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

Haters gonna hate.

#20 ymagirl

ymagirl

Icky Thump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

any list that slams on the Pussycat Dolls & The Black-Eyed Peas is obviously a shite list. (where is that damn sarcasm font!)

seriously now

The only thing wrong with the Raconteurs is Brendan Benson. Get rid of that guy and you have a band.

egg-axctly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users