102 replies to this topic

#1 Consoler_of_the_Lonely

Consoler_of_the_Lonely

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:31 PM

Hey everyone, seeing as it will probably be a long time before we hear new Raconteurs music, I thought it would be a good idea to reflect on the awesome music this band has made so far. So to start things off, what are your top 5 favorite Raconteurs songs? They don’t have to be in order, but if you can put them in order… do it!

My Top 5:

1. Blue Veins - I think this will always be #1, amazing song, and an absolute BEAST live.

2. Carolina Drama - Awesome storytelling by Jack, I can picture it perfectly.

3. Steady, As She Goes - One of the most catchy songs I have ever heard, awesome music video too.  

4. Top Yourself – Great songwriting, and Jack sounds like a complete badass... which he is.

5. Consoler of the Lonely – The song that got me into The Raconteurs, and more importantly Jack!

The order changes depending on my mood, but it’s definitely these 5. Feel free to give honorable mentions to other songs that just missed the cut. :D

Edited by Consoler_of_the_Lonely, 03 June 2011 - 04:54 AM.

#2 Lily

Lily

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

Our lists are really similar. These aren't in any order, but my top five are:

Broken Boy Soldier
Blue Veins
Consoler of the Lonely
Top Yourself
Carolina Drama

#3 JeffL

JeffL

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:16 PM

Broken Boy Soldier (My favorite Jack song)
Steady As She Goes (I remember the first time I heard it I was blown away by how catchy it was)

Carolina Drama (Best Jack White lyrics?)
Store Bought Bones (Live)
Together

Edited by JeffL, 17 October 2010 - 10:17 PM.

#4 genrader

genrader

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:19 PM

1. Steady As She Goes
2. Blue Veins
3. Carolina Drama
4. Consoler of the Lonely
5. Intimate Secretary

I don't know what it is about Intimate Secretary that gets me. Something about that F to G chord progression back and forth and those simple lyrics contrasted with Jack's more obtuse wording. The live version is, of course, much better.

I like all their songs though. The only ones I can think I don't particularly care for is the album version of Call It A Day (mediocre).

#5 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:14 AM

I tried to do this for 10 minutes, and I just can't.

#6 Brickwright

Brickwright

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:31 AM

Level: Has such a great weight and gravity to it. The back and forth dynamic between Jack and Brendan spells out everything that's great about the Raconteurs.
Broken Boy Soldier: Great atmosphere and excellent drumming. That beat is so infectious.
Consoler Of the Lonely: I really like the version they did on Jules Holland. It also proves it doesn't take many notes to make an exciting solo.
Salute Your Solution: Simple, breakneck riff, awesome bridge.
The Switch And The Spur: So many excellent parts, the lyrics, the solo, the bridge, the brass, all of it.

Blue Veins live is also REALLY good. Especially the version featured on It Might Get Loud, with the harmonica mic, bleeding, et al. I wish I could get a file of it, I've looked everywhere.

Keep It Clean is also great, from Bonnaroo.

#7 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:32 AM

My god I have similar taste to every one (for once).

1. Carolina Drama - the greatest song Jack White has ever written, say what you will about better displays of vocal or instrumental technique, never has he flexed his lyrical muscle better.

2. Blue Veins - This is so simple and so powerful, in terms of performance it's probably the very best of the Raconteurs in a live environment.

3. These Stones Will Shout - The entire thing is total perfection. From the beautiful folk harmonies to the orgasmic heavy rock. Who needed a Led Zeppelin reunion when you had this?

4. Top Yourself - It's Jack's best country song and live it features one of the craziest screams Jack has ever mustered. The lyrics are very clever, the rhythm infectious and never has Jack sounded so sexy.

5. Consoler Of The Lonely - It just beautifully summarises the contrast between Jack and Brendan in one simple song. It's a perfect introduction to the album, perfect introduction to a show and even a perfect introduction to the band.

Good thread!

#8 Consoler_of_the_Lonely

Consoler_of_the_Lonely

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:01 AM

1. Steady As She Goes
2. Blue Veins
3. Carolina Drama
4. Consoler of the Lonely
5. Intimate Secretary

I don't know what it is about Intimate Secretary that gets me. Something about that F to G chord progression back and forth and those simple lyrics contrasted with Jack's more obtuse wording. The live version is, of course, much better.

I like all their songs though. The only ones I can think I don't particularly care for is the album version of Call It A Day (mediocre).

Intimate Secretary is a really fun song to listen to, and it's probably the bands funniest song. I agree with Call It A Day being mediocre, it just kind of brings the album down to a snails pace, and you're thinking "Looks like this albums gonna end on a low note." Then BAM Blue Veins! :D

Level: Has such a great weight and gravity to it. The back and forth dynamic between Jack and Brendan spells out everything that's great about the Raconteurs.
Broken Boy Soldier: Great atmosphere and excellent drumming. That beat is so infectious.
Consoler Of the Lonely: I really like the version they did on Jules Holland. It also proves it doesn't take many notes to make an exciting solo.
Salute Your Solution: Simple, breakneck riff, awesome bridge.
The Switch And The Spur: So many excellent parts, the lyrics, the solo, the bridge, the brass, all of it.

Blue Veins live is also REALLY good. Especially the version featured on It Might Get Loud, with the harmonica mic, bleeding, et al. I wish I could get a file of it, I've looked everywhere.

Keep It Clean is also great, from Bonnaroo.

I LOVE that version of Blue Veins on It Might Get Loud, if you ever find out where you can get it let me know... I'll be looking too!

My god I have similar taste to every one (for once).

1. Carolina Drama - the greatest song Jack White has ever written, say what you will about better displays of vocal or instrumental technique, never has he flexed his lyrical muscle better.

2. Blue Veins - This is so simple and so powerful, in terms of performance it's probably the very best of the Raconteurs in a live environment.

3. These Stones Will Shout - The entire thing is total perfection. From the beautiful folk harmonies to the orgasmic heavy rock. Who needed a Led Zeppelin reunion when you had this?

4. Top Yourself - It's Jack's best country song and live it features one of the craziest screams Jack has ever mustered. The lyrics are very clever, the rhythm infectious and never has Jack sounded so sexy.

5. Consoler Of The Lonely - It just beautifully summarises the contrast between Jack and Brendan in one simple song. It's a perfect introduction to the album, perfect introduction to a show and even a perfect introduction to the band.

Good thread!

My list is almost exactly like yours, These Stones Will Shout JUST missed my top 5. Great summaries on the songs by the way, I have been following your work on your website for a while now and you have been doing an amazing job. Keep it up and I look forward to reading about the next song!

#9 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,181 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:54 AM

I tried to do this for 10 minutes, and I just can't.

:lol: , that always happens too me.

I'll think about this at work today and get back.:huh:

#10 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,779 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:38 AM

I couldn't possibly do this with the Stripes, but it's easy with the Racs.

1. Blue Veins. The song that flipped the switch for me and made me realize I had to get into Jack's music. Studio, live, any iteration, it blows me away.

Followed by, in no particular order--

Carolina Drama. What lusty said.

Broken Boy Soldier. The single most unusual song I think Jack's done yet.

Top Yourself. What lusty said, especially that last part.

Five on the Five. I like to listen to this one when I'm out driving some twisty, hilly country road, with five on the five :D And I love the line "The day I found you, my life became stereo".

Though if I did this again next week, I might trade out any of those four for Level or You Don't Understand me.

#11 cheriebobbins

cheriebobbins

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:22 AM

yeah Rac's is easier than the stripes for this by a long shot

Broken boy soldiers,,, amost impossible not to dance to the drums in this song
top yourself
carolina drama
Blue veins
steady as she goes

and i am often in love with Many shades of black, keep it clean and bang bang

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:39 AM

1- Blue Veins
2- Broken Boy Soldier
3- Intimate Secretary
4- Store Bought Bones
5- Rich Kid Blues

#13 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,795 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:43 PM

Not that much love for Salute Your Solution (bit obvious, maybe)? But in my top five, for sure. Also:

Blue Veins
Top Yourself
Hold Up
Consoler of the Lonely

#14 Consoler_of_the_Lonely

Consoler_of_the_Lonely

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:25 PM

Yea, it's a lot easier to rank songs from 2 albums then it is to rank songs from 6! I'm surprised that Salute Your solution isn't in more tops as well, but I'm glad songs like Blue Veins and Carolina Drama are getting the respect they deserve.

#15 eckythump

eckythump

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

1. Blue Veins - No question.
2. Level
3. Hands
4. Carolina Drama
5. Consolers of the Lonely

#16 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,181 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

Are we allowed covers?

#17 mylittlecreamsoda

mylittlecreamsoda

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:25 AM

i used to really like blue veins but i haven't really listened to it much lately.

1) carolina drama: it has never failed to make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. from the first time i heard up until now.
2) broken boy soldier: like brickwright said, incredible atmosphere
3) consoler of the lonely: i can't believe this is only 3. i still can't get over how hard brendan sounds compared to the first album.
4) the switch and the spur: didn't like it much at first, but it's grown on me a lot.
5) intimate secretary: i couldn't decide between this and 'store bought bones'. i went with this though because they actually played it when i saw them and i about shit a brick.

i couldn't just do 5

6) store bought bones
7) top yourself
8) level
9) yellow sun
10) old enough

#18 Consoler_of_the_Lonely

Consoler_of_the_Lonely

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:43 AM

Are we allowed covers?

Sure, Kts. If you have a cover that's one of your favorites, then by all means put it on there!

#19 hannibal_lusty

hannibal_lusty

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:47 AM

The Raconteurs with out songs like Bang Bang or Keep It Clean simply isn't The Raconteurs.

#20 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,779 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:07 AM

Love their version of Keep It Clean. There's something about it that just sums up all the joyousness of this band.

If we're going to include covers, I may need to expand my five to ten. 'Cause Keep It Clean and Rich Kid Blues would definitely be on my list in that case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users