#21 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:15 PM

Looking forward to this doc.

Man, Jack's face looks really round in that photo.  I wonder if he's been packing on weight since he's taken a break from touring.

Nah. There is a full picture of him in the gallery.

#22 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:30 PM

I don't know.  Maybe it was just the angle at which the picture was taken, or the lighting, but I don't recall Jack having such prominent jowls in the past.  It sort of makes him look older than he is.

But, whatever, I'm here for the music.  No one's expecting him to be a male model or anything.

Edited by J.C., 01 February 2016 - 03:32 PM.

#23 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,715 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

So, I guess no one here has been watching this?

#24 angelos

angelos

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,007 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:37 AM

So, I guess no one here has been watching this?

I have watched the first episode. Are there anywhere links to watch online the other 2? Cant seem to find them.

This forum is must be preety dead, since we have new Jack White stuff and no one talks about it :( <- sad face

#25 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,715 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

TMR has posted all three episodes in the Vault, and you can also watch them at PBS.org- http://www.pbs.org/s...-epic/episodes/   

And, yeah, it is sad. There are things going on, but if no one who's still here is interested and no one's going to talk about them, why bother posting?

#26 angelos

angelos

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,007 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:34 AM

TMR has posted all three episodes in the Vault, and you can also watch them at PBS.org- http://www.pbs.org/s...-epic/episodes/   

And, yeah, it is sad. There are things going on, but if no one who's still here is interested and no one's going to talk about them, why bother posting?

Thanks for the link. 

You are right,  this forum is going south. I believe the explosion of the social media platforms (Instagram, fb, twitter) are the ones at fault for no one bothering the check an online forum anymore.

Edited by angelos, 02 June 2017 - 01:35 AM.

#27 YDKWLI

YDKWLI

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:00 AM

I watched the American Epic Sessions about 1,5 year ago at a film festival screening. I'm really looking forward to watch it again because it's beautiful, the music as well as the filming. I almost forgot about the Elton John part where he asked Jack to participate, because there is so much going on in the whole documentary, it's hard to watch it only once and remember all the great things in it. 

I'm waiting for a rainy day to watch the other three parts. 

Edited by YDKWLI, 02 June 2017 - 05:01 AM.

#28 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:22 AM

See, I can't watch those links in Canada.  Has it aired on the actual PBS network?  I saw "June 6th" in the YouTube video above, but checked PBS on that date in my TV guide, and saw nothing.  I'd rather like to have all three parts on my DVR.

ETA:  Well, I checked the PBS website, and it says "in the U.S.".  I'd always assumed that the Boston and Seattle PBS affiliates in my TV package were fully U.S. programming, but evidently, not entirely.  I guess it's the music rights for different countries.  Very annoying, very disappointing.

Edited by J.C., 03 June 2017 - 06:38 AM.

#29 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,715 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:20 AM

Are you able to watch via BBC?

#30 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:47 PM

I don't think I have BBC.

I think the same thing happened with that HBO documentary on Kurt Cobain, Montage of Heck, which didn't air on HBO Canada until many months after its US broadcast.  Music rights are weird across different regions.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll see it eventually.

#31 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,095 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:51 AM

So I'm loving this little Epic of ours :wub: :wub: :wub: and I was THRILLED to see Mississippi John Hurt be highlighted!!! He's like absolutely on of my most favorites. Right up there with Son. In addition to that I got introduced to a rock'in little book entitled Beale Street, Where the Blues Began. It was written in 1938 by a George W. Lee. He was a resident and had the inside track on the underground in Memphis at that time. Must read if you can find it. I had to get it from a library in Cincinnati. Or you can purchase it from Abe for $250. - $1500. :o :o :o!!!!

#32 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,715 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:33 PM

This whole thing was so worth the two year wait. The final episode is everything I hoped it'd be.

#33 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:58 PM

I still don't see it popping up in my guide, on either the Boston or Seattle PBS affiliates.  We have gotten the 50 year retrospective on Sgt. Pepper, though.  Anyways, I'll try to keep an eye out for it.

#34 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,792 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

I've watched about 2/3 of it.  surprised by how much screen time Jack had! 

#35 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,715 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:38 PM

He was pretty heavily involved in the Sessions, apparently directed most, if not all, of them either by himself or with T Bone Burnett.

#36 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,095 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:34 AM

So was there 3 or 4 episodes? I was looking for 4.

#37 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,715 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:00 AM

It's technically a two-part thing:  American Epic is three episodes on historical musicians, and American Epic Sessions is one episode on the contemporary recording sessions--  http://www.pbs.org/w...out-the-series/

All four can be watched here-- http://www.pbs.org/show/american-epic/

#38 Lily

Lily

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:41 PM

I'm just now getting around to watching this.  I'm only about halfway into the first episode but so far,  :wub:  Such a fascinating story that I didn't realize I knew so little about.

#39 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,715 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:26 PM

That's just it-- There's soooo much music in the history of this country, that there's no way to really realize how much you don't know!

#40 JakobGreen

JakobGreen

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:36 AM

That's just it-- There's soooo much music in the history of this country, that there's no way to really realize how much you don't know!

But there's no better time to learn. Plus it's a lot better than a lot of the newer music of today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users