9:33pm in Sydney, the band should be on stage as this is being posted. Looking forward to a setlist and photos later today...
April 20, 2019: Big Top, Sydney, Australia
Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:08 AM
Now this is the first time Ive seen The Saboteurs live but Ive probably watched/listened to more live material from them than any other band in the world so I feel like I can make a few general points.
- the band sound a lot leaner than 2008/2011 when they were in full Consolers bombast mode. I think this is ultimately a good thing and generally a lot better sound all round.
- Easily the happiest Ive ever seen Jack
- Jacks voice was in probably the best technical shape Ive heard it in concert
- the triple jet and Claudette were there but barely ever played. Hes really into those new Teles.
A few highlights:
- the sound cut out during Help Me Stranger and the band were just heard through the foldback which was oddly endearing
- Live a Lie (I think that was it) was quite beautiful and had a really nice sing a long
- Bored and Razed is the biggest barnstormer of the new album
- I was a bit puzzled as to why they were bringing You Dont Understand Me back live when it didnt even make the cut in 2011 but holy hell did it go off
- Great Saulte with a little bit of extended jamming from Jack
- Top yourself is back!!! And heres the weirdest part - its using the arrangement from the Vault 4 demo so technically this was the deepest cut of the night
- no blue veins again!?!?!?
- thoughts and prayers is shaping up to be a standout
- Pretty sure we were gonna get another BBS but I got a little Carolina Drama chant happening and thats how they closed the night.
Set list to the best of my memory
Bored and Razed
Help Me Stranger
You Dont Understand Me
3 new songs Im not sure of
Steady As She Goes
Now That Youre Gone
Thoughts And Prayers
Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:50 PM
So glad you got to see them, lusty. If any fan deserves to, it's you, and it's a huge shame you don't have more opportunity. And thank you for the review! Where were you in the crowd? What do you think of the new guitars?
Photos are up at the Racs site-- https://theraconteur...sydney-04202019
Wonderful to see the guys smiling so much. Love this shot--
Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:12 PM
Its hard to say much about the guitars because the live mix makes such a big difference and I dont really have a comparison to the triple jet etc. but I thought they sounded fantastic (nothing looks as cool as the triple jet though). The new Tele sounded so much better than the blue one he was playing in 2012 and the Flying V gave some extra oomph where needed. The new half acoustic Tele was quite trebly but worked well and Jack was adjusting his play style for the sound. It sat high in the mix compared to recordings Ive heard with Claudette.
Forget to mention that the new Tele has some kind of tremolo in the strap where if he physically bends the guitar it bends the note. He showed this off before a song and it was very cute and tied into one of my bigger thoughts - Jack has just mellowed out big time: hes non stop smiling, showing off, playing to the crowd. So the absence of Blue Veins was a shame but I also wonder if he just isnt in that place for it mood wise.
Oh and I should mention that I have now seen all four of Jacks projects! Thirteen years and Ive done it. It is crazy to think that I was 12 when I saw the white stripes and am still here at 25...
Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:05 PM
Congratulations!! I never saw the Stripes live so have no accurate basis for comparison to those days beyond videos, but totally agree with you on the mellowness. It's noticeable just over the last 9 years. It's actually kind of weird sometimes, he seemed to need tension in order to perform but now it seems like he's finally learned how to have fun on-stage.
A tremolo in the strap??
Edited by Kali Durga, 20 April 2019 - 07:08 PM.
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users