3109 replies to this topic

#3101 goodmorningspider

goodmorningspider

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

I really like the last song that mentions Kalamazoo. Aside from that, the whole record just bleeds together for me into one big, dull track.

#3102 mysteriousprizm

mysteriousprizm

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

I really like the last song that mentions Kalamazoo. Aside from that, the whole record just bleeds together for me into one big, dull track.

Personally, I hate the last track ("Gotta Get Away"), it's an earwig, and it's so blah. I certainly think The Black Keys are losing the soul they had in there music. Ever since Danger Mouse began producing them (beginning with Attack & Release) I feel they've slowly been getting more and more over-produced and watered down. Excuse me while I go listen to The Big Come Up, Thickfreakness, Rubber Factory, and Magic Potion and remember the good old days when they were raw and bluesy - before I was interested in music and didn't actually know about them.

#3103 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

I knew about the Black Keys starting around Rubber Factory. Back then, they just sounded like an ok garage rock band that had a few cool songs that I knew. A couple of my friends liked them, and I got why, but I was never REALLY into them. When Brothers came out and Tighten Up was a modern rock hit, I couldn't have been happier for the little known band. I've listened to all of Brothers and El Camino, and neither of them seem to stand up enough for me as full albums (though, I must say, even their earlier stuff never did it for me, not 11 or 12 tracks worth of goodness). I love Tighten Up, Gold on the Ceiling, Black Submarines and a few more, but they just don't seem THAT good...

I just hate how any time Jack White is mentioned in the news in any way, sense, or form, they mention The Black Keys. To me its like writing a review on Revolver and mentioning the Monkees in comparison

Edited by steadyasshegoes, 21 June 2014 - 02:44 AM.

#3104 ridetheblinds

ridetheblinds

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

Excuse me while I go listen to The Big Come Up, Thickfreakness, Rubber Factory, and Magic Potion and remember the good old days when they were raw and bluesy 

Yes, I think most long-time fans feel the same. Nothing they do will compare to their early tear of albums built off of Dan's take of Hill country rhythms.

However, past that their new direction from Brothers, El Camino, and now, Turn Blue, does very well standing on its own. Dan and Pat's love of early r&b lays the ground work.

After multiple listens, Turn Blue has really grown on me.

Dan's guitar work on Weight of Love and In Our Prime is gorgeous. a tip of the hat to David Gilmour.

#3105 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

I finally got around to listening to Turn Blue.

Gotta Get Away is amazing, there are a couple other good tunes, but that's all I like.

I think in 20 years when people look back, they'll be able to put together a really tight "best of" album for this band, and it'll be great, but that's it.

#3106 JellyRoll Baker

JellyRoll Baker

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,822 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:11 PM

#3107 wsjack3

wsjack3

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:22 PM

Liking it.

Jack's social accounts seem to be tweeting it out. Beef over?

#3108 imbenurnot

imbenurnot

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:29 PM

What a coincidence. I just listened to Magic Potion for the first time in a few years. It's a very even mix of "that was damn great" and "oh, there was a song playing, wasn't there?" But I can't for life of me decide what draws the line between them.

The new song is okay. I'm interested. I should probably listen to Turn Blue again sometime. Maybe it will blend together less than it did then.

#3109 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:29 AM

Sounds like the old Keys to me and I'm so good with it :)

#3110 JellyRoll Baker

JellyRoll Baker

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,822 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:32 AM

Wait, wut ... I just got sent an invite to join their official message board?

Everything old is new again, etc etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users