Photo

November 13, 2011 - ATLANTA, GA (Tabernacle)

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

Please post all reviews, setlists, photos, etc. in this thread only, please. Thanks and enjoy the show!

#2 kcahill

kcahill

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:32 AM

Blistering, tight show. They were clearly having fun and playing all-out. All sounded great. No new tunes or covers, but all of our faves. Someone else with better memory will have to post the list.
Some highlights:

• "Blue Veins." Of course. Never disappoints!
• "You Don't Understand Me" change up: "I don't understand women. But I've looked around, and there's nothing better than them," with a smile. (BTW, the wedding ring is now on the right hand.)

• Jack and PK must be un-conjoined twins. They are so tuned in! PK was killing it. Better workout than P90X indeed.

• at the end of the show, Jack tossed his copper guitar into the first rows of the audience. Poor guitar tech (Josh?) had to work hard to wrangle it from avid fans' clutches. I've never seem Jack do that. He must have been feeling particularly devilish.

• Mark is a multi-tasking multi-talented son-of-a-gun.

• They all graciously signed autographs, but Lalo requested no photos, since they were tight on time. All very warm and appreciative of us.

It was the therapy I needed, and I can face another work week now. : )

#3 Lux84

Lux84

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

• "You Don't Understand Me" change up: "I don't understand women. But I've looked around, and there's nothing better than them," with a smile. (BTW, the wedding ring is now on the right hand.)

:wub: Jack shook hands with a Tumblr friend of mine, he seems nice. Thanks for the chronicle!

#4 DeStijlTheLife

DeStijlTheLife

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

Here's a video of Blue Veins (not mine). At the end of this is when Jack gives his copper guitar to the crowd. You can see where he says somethin to a roadie beforehand. You can't see his face on the video but that roadie looked WORRIED right after haha. http://youtu.be/W89IVbBwmi4

Here's the videos I made, of Intimate Secretary and Broken Boy Soldier

http://youtu.be/sBDcCtfnNUg
http://youtu.be/8FHvOp0bNrU

Edited by DeStijlTheLife, 14 November 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#5 jeejet

jeejet

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

HAHA! WOW - Imagine having to give that back!

#6 kcahill

kcahill

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:03 PM

It took quite a bit of effort on the roadie's part. It was right in front of me, but I dared not... touch...

#7 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

Now, when I compare his performances of that song between gigs he was doing after a break and those he played in a short time after I gotta say one thing - I definitelly want to see him on the road again, puted into that concert-doing trance, not that I want him to depart from family, business and stuff, but that little doze of fanboy in me just keeps repeating that, oh well :S

Edited by kluczmen, 14 November 2011 - 01:12 PM.

#8 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:10 PM

edit : im drunk again and quote and edit buttons are too close to each other :S

Edited by kluczmen, 14 November 2011 - 01:11 PM.

#9 kcahill

kcahill

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

I agree. Last night he never really let loose, as he has done in the past. Let's hope that's not just in the past. I was worrying about that last night. When will we see Jack play guitar live again?

#10 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

That is so hilarious about the guitar. I hope no one damaged it!

Oh, and after watching that Blues Veins, it seems like Jack did bust out some good guitar solos last night. Whoever said he didn't... :blink:

Click this link to search the most recent videos from the show on youtube:
http://www.youtube.c...d_categories=10

Edited by Ak1nney, 14 November 2011 - 01:44 PM.

#11 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

Just got home from the airport, tired as hell and feeling... unfulfilled? This was the eighth time in less than two years that I've seen Jack live and it ranks as my least favorite experience. The people I hung out with before and during the show were lovely, we got to hear the sound check, and the Tabernacle is a gorgeous venue, but there were other things that happened (both related to the show and during my traveling to/from Atlanta) that left me deflated. It's a weird feeling to go through something that I know would normally induce euphoria and come away from it feeling dissatisfied.

And it was certainly not the Raconteur's fault, that's for sure. As was mentioned above, they didn't really seem to totally let loose during this show, but they sounded tight and were obviously having fun themselves, which is so much fun to see. The You Don't Understand Me lyric switch-up was definitely a highlight. Blue Veins was not the most creative solo I've heard from Jack, but his playing and singing were both ratcheted up to an incredibly high intensity. It was like the Glastonbury 2005 Death Letter, with his eyes rolling back in his head and so much sweat flinging out from his hair that PK must've been showered. He knew what we wanted, and most definitely delivered.

Few other moments that stood out for me--

Brendan and Jack singing the final overlapped round of Intimate Secretary from the same mic.

Rich Kid Blues, so happy to have seen this live.

The interaction between the band just enthralls me. Whether it's Jack and Brendan whispering to each other mid-stage, Jack and PK locking eyes as they build up to the end of a song, or PK and Jack both watching LJ as he grooves away with his eyes closed, the chemistry between them is a wonderful thing and I am so very grateful to have been able to see it live.

OH!! And they played that creepy, fantastic walk-on music from the 2008 tour, which they didn't do at Third Man and I don't think they did at MI Fest. I smiled so big, I love that music :)

There was one song in which Jack sang a portion in a much higher key than usual, almost falsetto, but I can't remember now which song it was. Did anyone else catch that? Was it his part of Old Enough?

Photos from Creative Loafing Atlanta-- http://clatl.com/atl...how?oid=4261460

Posted Image

Posted Image

One of the women that Helen and I hung out with also took some really terrific photos and said that she'd send us a link to post here for you all to see once she gets back home to Ontario, so check back for those.

Thank you very much to folks who posted video links above, I need to go watch and re-live the parts of this trip that were more euphoria-inducing and put aside memories of the annoying parts.

Edited by Kali Durga, 14 November 2011 - 04:13 PM.

#12 jeejet

jeejet

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

Sorry about the weirdness - tell me more or PM me.

I had a little bit of a deflated feeling after Nashville - not because I didn't love those performances but because of the "Why?" factor - why didn't they play covers, why didn't they play anything new, etc.

Jack changed the words of Your Don't Understand Me quite a bit at the Ryman as well - in fact, I meant to watch it again on YouTube to see what the changed lyrics were. We should do it for the Ryman and the Tabernacle show and compare.

#13 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

Part of the weirdness was that I ended up in almost exactly the same place at the front that I've had for every show except the Wanda one in Brooklyn, just a bit to the right of what I've come to consider "my spot". But the height of the stage and the placement of the monitors left me with a severely hampered view and that was disappointing. I would have asked the woman next to me to swap places (the one who took photos), but it was her first time seeing Jack live and she deserved to have the better spot. It was even worse for Helen, unfortunately, as she couldn't see Patrick at all and had drunk people on the other side of her.

Also annoying was that I had a devil of a time finding my way around Atlanta, and that's something I rarely experience when I travel. I don't know if Google's directions were borked or if Atlanta's street signs were, but it frustrated the hell out of me.

The other annoying things have been put aside.

Jack changed the words of Your Don't Understand Me quite a bit at the Ryman as well - in fact, I meant to watch it again on YouTube to see what the changed lyrics were. We should do it for the Ryman and the Tabernacle show and compare.

He did the same at MI Fest, if I recall rightly. On the one hand, it's fun to hear him pop out unexpected stuff. On the other hand, makes it hard as hell to sing along.

The only change at the Tabernacle was that one line. Such a cheeky boy.

And the incident with the copper-top... I think my heart stopped beating for a full two seconds until Ulysses S. Grant reached down to rescue it.

Edited by Kali Durga, 14 November 2011 - 03:50 PM.

#14 dilawngurf

dilawngurf

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

The show was awesome. I'll agree with some of the other posters that they didn't "let loose" as they have at previous shows, but i'm just glad to see them performing together.

When Jack dropped his guitar into the crowd (right in front of me) all of these people rushed forward to grab it. The people around me grabbing at it seemed convinced that they could keep it if they held onto it, which i thought was pretty funny. If Jack had intended to give that beautiful instrument away, many people would be murdered trying to keep it haha. I felt bad for Josh, who is a really nice & soft spoken dude having to fight to get the guitar back. Jack is a mischievous man!

Waited around after the show for over an hour until the band came out to shake hands and sign autographs. Met some really nice people while waiting. it was pretty interesting watching the roadies/jacked dudes who carted everything around fit all the equipment into the trailer and latch it down B)

All in all, this show got me really excited/hopeful for new music from the raconteurs. i like jack best when he is on stage blowing people's minds!

#15 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

I feel left out now, I don't feel deflated at all, despite the drunks and my failure to see Patrick!--I did see him at the end when they were taking their bows, and he'd been giving it so much that his hair was all sticking up. :wub: (I wouldn't have minded if the monitors were a tad lower, though.) I also thought the show itself was fabulous, and Jack absolutely killed Blue Veins. We waited in line from about 12.30 and they came on after 9, and it was well worth the wait from my point of view. The only sense in which I felt they didn't cut loose was that they've played a few shows now and they're tighter, but there was all sorts of playfulness going on on stage. Orrrr I might have been at a different show from you guys . . . :lol: Anyway I was so wired I couldn't sleep last night, I've driven back from Atlanta, and now I'm exhausted.

#16 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,058 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

From the video that I saw I gotta agree with you Helen. It doesn't take but a few shows and they hit their groove but that doesn't mean that they are not playing their asses off. That's just a true testament to the talet that makes up the band. I recognized that the first time that I saw them in 2008 at Lolla and the next night in Ann Arbor. I remember when they were first playing their new stuff off of Consolers and people were complaining about them. I said give em some time, they just haven't got their groove on yet and within a few shows......

Looks to me that you all got an ass kick'in show. Wish I could have been there. I can only hope that they are writing again and if so, it's gonna be great.

Edited by kts1997, 14 November 2011 - 06:06 PM.

#17 suzylee33

suzylee33

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

Aquamarine, I'm with you on this one! I've seen the Racs a half dozen times and this has been my very favorite show so far, mostly, I think, because of the playfulness on stage. I just loved seeing Jack having such a good time and grinning so much :) Like others, I am hopeful that good things are soon to come that may lead to more shows in 2012!

#18 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:31 PM

From your lips to Jack's, LJ's, Brendan's, and Patrick's ears! :D

#19 IIICelesteIII

IIICelesteIII

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

This was my best Jack White show ever. And I think they totally let loose despite other claims. They rocked out and switched it up and involved the crowd a lot. It was amazing I was right in front of jack. And after the concert he and the band came and signed my consolers of the lonely LP and Jack shook my hand. He's so nice and PK is a sweetheart and LJ is the man. I talked to them all. B.B. who also signs his name "BB" kind of sucks when you meet him. And the people behind me were awesome. I just had the best time possible. The end.

#20 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,042 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

That's weird since it was on the left hand the day before.

Yeah I know, I tend to notice the gossipy stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users