Photo

September 17, 2011 - BROOKLYN, MI (MI Fest)

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#21 Lily

Lily

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:13 AM

I was hoping for Keep It Clean too!

#22 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:22 AM

Oh, and Alison Mosshart was watching from the side of the stage too, and rocking out as much as us. :)

#23 Divemistress of the Dark

Divemistress of the Dark

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

Kicks ass. Glad you guys got a good show too and I'm jealous as hell you got to see JEFF tonite. ;)

#24 Lombo

Lombo

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:54 AM

Waiting through Ronnie Dunn and Sheryl Crow felt like 12 hours. Well worth it though.

#25 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:52 AM

Just got home, wow what a long long day. We rolled in around noon and immediately got in the Rolling Record Store line. We waited for ev er, but finally made it up there. That was fun! They have all sorts of stuff. I totally got my "beer coozie," and a couple things for Taro and Macwacky because they were insanely generous to me recently. Oh, and I got that ICP record... SHUT UP. Anyway, we totally missed Thornbills and whoever was before them, because first we were in line and second we were more interested in Mitch Ryder. Then we saw a bunch of TMR bands, Black Belles, Pujol, Black Milk and Jeff The Brotherhood. Some were better than others. I liked Pujol when they were playing, but can now remember not one note they played or one word they said. Black Belles were palatable. I honestly didn't know what to expect from them. The singer's voice sounded a little "off" or something, but they weren't terrible or anything. Black Milk was king gods of holy crap mountain. They blew everyone else away. Jeff The Brotherhood sounded real silly playing after them. Jeff The B, they were kind of disappointing. Some of their songs were good, but sometimes they'd just prattle on endlessly, pointlessly, and it was boring. After the TMR bands these two gorgeous hotties came over to me and asked if I was Tim. I knew exactly who they were, but I said, "No, I'm Edgar Cayce." They were like "Oh, sorry, we thought you were Tim," and they tried to walk away! I said "No no, I was only kidding, come back!" Then we had a three-way make-out session until the Raconteurs came on, and we never heard any Ronnie Dunn or Sheryl Crow. Oh no, wait, that didn't happen at all. We hung around a while, my children and I acted like savages, the Romantics played their two songs and some other songs of theirs, then Helen and Tam made a break for the Rich People Tent so they could get a good spot for the Raconteurs. They were excellent humans, it was lovely meeting them. I'll never wash that half of my face (although I wasn't really planning on it anyway). So then we, Allen and William and I, we headed over to where the Raconteurs would be performing after two "other bands." Emily showed up. Always wonderful to see her, such a nice chick. I exchanged a few texts with Brendan ("whitestripesman"), he apparently got to spend the entire day holding hands with Jack White! They skipped through the dandelions together and sang sea chanteys all day long. They're probably still out there scaring the juggalos that live in the woods. So now we get to the hideous portion of the evening. Ronnie Dunn. Sheryl Crow. They just wouldn't STOP! I don't want to relive it, so no more typing on that subject. Finally the Raconteurs. I took William out of "the pit" and left Allen in the care of Emily. They mosh pitted or whatever. William was a pain in the ass, he bitched and moaned all day, and during most of the Raconteurs set. His legs hurt, he was hungry, he had to pee, he wanted a drink, that guy smells, pick me up I want to see Jack White, put me down. This was William's last concert with dad. But the band, they've still got it, they sounded fine, dandy, they do their business very well. Brendan Benson looked like a cross between a 50-year-old beautician and Bleach-era Kurt Cobain. Keeler has a beard. Dean Fertita has aged about 15 years since last summer. The Jacks look the same as they ever do. But yeah, good show, I was surprised at how many lumberjacks are fans of the Raconteurs.

Edited by mittensonfire, 18 September 2011 - 01:55 AM.

#26 Sassy_Sez

Sassy_Sez

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:04 AM

:lol: great review!

#27 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:05 AM

thanks for the recap, tim, you brought it to life and gave me the laugh i was looking for tonight (i must keep them tagged).

They were excellent humans, it was lovely meeting them [Helen & Tam]. I'll never wash that half of my face (although I wasn't really planning on it anyway).

you lucky savage, you

#28 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:37 AM

Speechless. I saw them back in 2008, and they were better than ever. Jack was so into it and so was everyone else. When we got there at 630, there were like 30 people in the Rolling Record Store Line. And as far as attendance, complete shit. A lot of people left after Sheryl Crow. Seriously felt like a couple thousand people were there during The Raconteurs, but they played like it was Glastonbury. Jack had a guitar malfunction during Blue Veins with his red guitar, he switched to the Copper and was so into it that he went insane on the second solo. He did a squealing lead part so loud that it seriously made the PA sound like it exploded. I can't really say enough about the show. I saw Karen and the kids off to the side backstage and Jack's mom at the side. It was such an intimate show when everyone left after Sheryl Crow haha. I was more than happy about that. You still had your dancing obnoxious drunk idiots, but we maneuvered around them. Some highlights were Consoler, Salute, Level, Intimate Secretary, BBS, Blue Veins, Hands... hell, the whole show was one big highlight. They did massive jams to end a lot of the songs like they didn't want to quit. Sheryl Crow phoned in her performance and didn't even play her whole time frame, she also kept calling the crowd Detroit, which was pathetic.

We walked by the Rolling Record Store and checked it out, we were going to get something, but we didn't want to walk the 1/2 mile back to the car haha. I did end up buying one of the last Raconteurs shirts a merch stand was selling. It's just a normal one with the name and band logo in the background. Back to the attendance, this was really sad. Even during the headliners before The Raconteurs, you could have been the furthest away and still been considered close at most shows. I don't care tho, I was glad it was low and that it felt like a Raconteurs normal show and not a festival. My buddy took some pics, but I was too short to hold the camera up over people. Great show.

Edited by Ak1nney, 18 September 2011 - 03:44 AM.

#29 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:23 AM

i was thinking maybe we should go back to the Top 5 songs thread and do a Top 5 Live songs comparison here http://littleroom.wh...dpost&p=2030274

Black Milk was king gods of holy crap mountain. They blew everyone else away.

After the TMR bands these two gorgeous hotties came over to me and asked if I was Tim. I knew exactly who they were, but I said, "No, I'm Edgar Cayce." They were like "Oh, sorry, we thought you were Tim," and they tried to walk away! I said "No no, I was only kidding, come back!" Then we had a three-way make-out session until the Raconteurs came on, and we never heard any Ronnie Dunn or Sheryl Crow. Oh no, wait, that didn't happen at all.

I exchanged a few texts with Brendan ("whitestripesman"), he apparently got to spend the entire day holding hands with Jack White! They skipped through the dandelions together and sang sea chanteys all day long. They're probably still out there scaring the juggalos that live in the woods.

Finally the Raconteurs. Brendan Benson looked like a cross between a 50-year-old beautician and Bleach-era Kurt Cobain. Keeler has a beard. Dean Fertita has aged about 15 years since last summer.

Ha... was just thinking about wanting the 'boyish Dean' back already as opposed to 'old man Dean'... funny that you commented about it too

As for Brendan and Jack holding hands running around the woods scaring Juggalo Folk ... i burst out laughing because i immediately recalled this commercial for KY Intense which has been playing a lot lately

Posted Image
all i can say really is... oh my... but if you would have introduced yourself to me as edgar cayce then i would have laughed and fired a litany of spirituality and healing questions at you to your immediate chagrin of having messed with the legend himself ... i have to say that it was a fair shot at getting the 3 some though

as for Black Milk killin it live... never had a doubt and hope he does that a lot more ... also glad to hear that you got a live taste of the Belles ;)

im betting the next concert you attend with William will be the one where he performs and you stand back blown away by the kid who wanted to see Jack White

#30 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,068 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:29 AM

but but, so where's the new material?

come on Jack and company. We need some new tunes damn it

#31 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

I can't add much to what other folks have said, aside from holy freaking hell, did anyone record Blue Veins??? Jack held a note at the end of the song, when he sang the line "...ain't nothin..." the first time, that made my jaw drop and my hair stand on end. The. Man. Can. Sing. The girl in front of me and the older guy next to me, who was there for Sheryl Crow but couldn't get out when the horde of Racs fans swarmed up front as soon as her set ended, were both recording and I gave my e-mail address to both of them in the hopes that one of them got it and will send it to me.

In addition to meeting Tim, William, and Allen (Tim, how are Allen's shins this morning?) and delivering a kiss on the cheek from Blackwell, Helen and I also met Jimmy and Erica from Danger Limited. Saw them standing in the middle of the field with Swank, went up and tapped Jimmy on the shoulder and did the "Hey, I've talked to you on the internet, it's so cool to meet you" thing. They've got about 60 copies left of Black Jesus #2. Anyone who doesn't already have that needs to get one now so that they can release #3. Buy one for your mother for Christmas, she'll love it. Swank's own BJ will probably be the 5th or 6th or so in the series. /end public service announcement.

Taking the festival experience out of the equation, the show was so very amazing and it's such a thrill to have been able to experience this band. The intimacy of Wednesday's TMR experience was off-set last night by the longer setlist (I missed Level and Carolina Drama terribly the other night), so I'm definitely happy to have bankrupted myself by doing both. The festival itself turned out to have been pretty well run-- Every single band began exactly when they were supposed to and, if the promoters learned from the mistakes they made in putting it together, I can see how it could grow into a good, albeit fairly small, annual event. But festival crowds just ain't for me, especially with such a strange mix of bands. Looking forward to Atlanta and a small GA venue full of fellow fans...

#32 MICH3LL3

MICH3LL3

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

Great to read all these reviews! I'm happy for everyone that got to go and have such a good time.

#33 dreamover

dreamover

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 485 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:38 AM

Alison had red hair.

#34 atrevino

atrevino

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:59 AM

I'm so insanely jealous right now. Wow. That's sounds like an amazing show, I'm happy that several of you got to experience it! I can only hope I get a chance someday.

#35 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:11 AM

Yea Kali, when Jack sang, "and it dont mean nothiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin" he held the note out for like 5 seconds haha. I've never heard him do that. It made my girlfriend scream and she is just a casual fan of them haha.

#36 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

Edgar Cayce! Duh! I totally missed that. Tim also forgot to mention the part when a female William showed up and. . . well, best left to the imagination, perhaps. And I got an ICP record (among other stuff) too. SHUT UP.

I'm now at the Detroit airport on the way home. What a great weekend. (With great weather.) I must admit that where we were, there was no exodus after Sheryl Crow and we wished there had been (especially since she seems to have some of the most obnoxious fans on the planet)--some people apparently got trapped up front, with their accursed lawn chairs etc., what a waste of primo fan turf. But it all worked out OK and we could see great, and just the sight of Jack jumping around the stage giving it everything he'd got was so wonderful, and it would have been worth the trip just for Top Yourself and Blue Veins.

Jack's still into the brown eyeshadow. ;)

#37 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:46 AM

Now that people mention Alison being there, I know I saw her, but the hair threw me off!

Found this:

Edited by Ak1nney, 18 September 2011 - 10:47 AM.

#38 ymagirl

ymagirl

Icky Thump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

great reviews y'all! sounds like a blast. Mittens, you should definitely consider becoming the board's Staff Concert Reviewer. I'm sure it's an unpaid position that would get you very little in return (including tickets to said shows) but I seriously enjoyed your recount of events :)

For the record, for years I have had two musical mantras... "KILL BONO" and "SHERYL CROW MUST DIE". Interesting how Jack has managed to perform one's music on a tribute album and follow another in concert. this, no more Stripes and an ICP collaboration??? 2011 is going down as a very shit year indeed.

#39 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

#40 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

jack looks like he's enjoying the frontman experience again...hope it will give him some ideas!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users