Photo

September 14, 2011 - NASHVILLE, TN (Third Man Records)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 lmholot

lmholot

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:44 PM

Hi all,

Everyone who has posted previously did capture much of what I was going to say! It was definitely an awesome, face-melting night. My ears were still ringing at 11 on Thursday morning. The sound was unreal.

When I got there, a few people were out front, seeing if they could get tickets....I wish I had bought an extra! But the girls in the lobby were actually trying to do that--everyone's name was on a list, with a +1 or not, and they kept counting and checking off who was in/out to see if they could get more people in. Totally cool.

The Brendan and Jack banter was great. I loooooooved Top Yourself--Jack sounded fantastic, and overall, he seemed really relaxed. They all did. He and LJ were doing some close dancing and playing and laughing together, and it was great. The whole atmosphere was at the same time totally amped and chill, if that makes sense.

I was definitely surprised to see Dean! He looks totally different out of his usual black-leather-clad hotness, but still great, and he played so well. I did miss Mark's fiddle work, though. Dean's hair did want to escape from its slicked-back-ness.

Ben Blackwell was definitely on camera patrol. I definitely didn't want to risk it, and i was too focused on the show anyway to take my phone out of my bag (the camera definitely stayed in the car). Ironically, I ended up next to the tripod out in the crowd, which was a little nerve-wracking--i didn't want to be the woman who took out the TMR billion-dollar camera with her awkward dancing and singing!

Blue Veins was great. Not the longest solos, but still wonderful. Jack's guitar work was great. One other thing to note is that since the sound is so well-balanced, LJ's playing was more prominent than the other Racs shows I've been to, and it was stellar.

My only quibble (and this doesn't even count) is that they didn't have any water! But the guys at the bar just kept giving me cups of ice cubes instead. I had heard anecdotally (and then from people I met at the show) that it was going to be ungodly hot, but they had clearly improved that...it was nice and cool, no doubt having to deal with the biggest ceiling fan I've ever seen!

Pokey Lafarge and his band were great. I went back to TMR on Thursday afternoon and they were there, hanging out and taking pictures in the parking lot.

One last thing--if you haven't been there before, beware the blue wall! Two of us went outside for a bathroom/smoke break, and trying to navigate along that wall in the dark, with wet shoes (it started to rain), was an obstacle course! So cool to see that, though...right where all the pictures are taken? I totally got to touch that wall!

No, I have not taken my wristband off yet.

#62 harvestgirl

harvestgirl

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:00 PM

the no water was crazy! i tried the diet coke in the little bottles, clearly something wrong with it... lol tasted like soda water w/ a hint of flavor ~ odd.

and the fan was amazing!

#63 jeejet

jeejet

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

Yeah - Wow - that was amazing!

It was my 2nd time in Nashville but my first time going to a show at TMR. The Racs are certainly a great first show there but I would recommend going to ANY show in the Blue Room. It is so intimate and living room like - with all those rugs on the floor!

The line party before the show was almost my favorite part! (The new drinking game - everyone does a shot when the train goes by - and that's pretty frequent! :lol: ) So great to hang out with so many of my Little Room friends old and new...

It was great to see the so-called "warm up" show - obviously very different from a larger venue. Being so small you could really see how the band interacted with one another - especially Patrick and Jack.

So glad that I got to partake of the photo booth (twice). Perhaps the only regret is the strange conversation I started with Patrick - I mentioned that his new beard made him look older. I didn't mean OLD - just more mature because he has such a baby face. It wasn't meant as an insult, but I think he was offended! I didn't make it better when I saw him after the Ryman show. Oh well - y'all who know me will know that a) I adore and respect this band b.) I wasn't trying to insult him and c) I'm not interested in stalking him or coming on to him!

And the after party at Dino's wasn't half bad either!

The problem is - now that I've seen Paris - or in this case the live venue at TMR, I am going to try to get back to Nashville - a lot. I think I need a second job!

Edited by jeejet730, 20 September 2011 - 12:38 PM.

#64 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,684 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

The problem is - now that I've seen Paris - or in this case the live venue at TMR, I am going to try to get back to Nashville - a lot. I think I need a second job!

See you in October...? ;)

#65 mudyjoon

mudyjoon

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

Awesome, thanks for all the posts:)

#66 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

Perhaps the only regret is the strange conversation I started with Patrick - I mentioned that his new beard made him look older. I didn't mean OLD - just more mature because he has such a baby face. It wasn't meant as an insult, but I think he was offended! I didn't make it better when I saw him after the Ryman show. Oh well - y'all who know me will know that a) I adore and respect this band b.) I wasn't trying to insult him and c) I'm not interested in stalking him or coming on to him!

You may have done us (OK, me) a favor there--PK looks cute any which way, but I prefer seeing his face, so maybe he'll re-think looking older. ;) I'm sure he wouldn't have thought you were trying to insult him, though.

#67 jeejet

jeejet

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:35 AM

He seemed really offended! I really meant that he looked more mature, very debonair but I was not as articulate as I would like to be after many beers and a few shots!

#68 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

Who'da thought Patrick would be that vain, eh? Oh well, at least it'll give you an opening the next time you meet him! :D

#69 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:11 PM

He seemed really offended! I really meant that he looked more mature, very debonair but I was not as articulate as I would like to be after many beers and a few shots!

haha, don't be too worried. It probably just caught him off guard and he probably wasn't annoyed by it. He may have just been concentrating on something else in his head lol

#70 jeejet

jeejet

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:09 PM

Who'da thought Patrick would be that vain, eh? Oh well, at least it'll give you an opening the next time you meet him! :D

Yeah - we actually talked again the next day after the Ryman show. Now he just thinks I'm a weird stalker! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users