68 replies to this topic

#41 meg(marguerite)

meg(marguerite)

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:39 AM

b e a u t i f u l pics, and you guys are so cute!
I'm actually not surprized that they didn't say/do anything detroit special, so much happened, expectations are way out there...

#42 jacks bitch

jacks bitch

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:55 AM

b e a u t i f u l pics, and you guys are so cute!
I'm actually not surprized that they didn't say/do anything detroit special, so much happened, expectations are way out there...

during "keep it clean" jack made tons of references. and they said how greateful they were to be here etc. but thats pretty much standard run. they dont live here anymore for a reason, so the homecoming is bittersweet at best. and jackie wasnt the happiest camper.

the main reason for this band is for Jack & Brendan to jam, so thats not a surprise, and you want the live show different from the record.
the vibe was pretty mellow and heavy, still amazing.

great pix everyone, cant believe you stayed mashed in the front the whole time!! cheers!! i hid in the sound booth and it was still pretty hot. sorry i missed the meeet up, but alot was going on after the show. im going again tonight....round 2 :wub:

#43 EM1

EM1

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:00 PM

Still no Floating, eh? :(
Tis their best cover......

#44 Dillinger1934

Dillinger1934

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:14 PM

Yea...It's a cover of a song by Charley Jordan called "Keep It Clean."

Thanks.

So, these pendants?

#45 harvestgirl

harvestgirl

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:21 PM

So, these pendants?

http://littleroom.wh...p...870&st=1980

#46 jacks bitch

jacks bitch

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:22 PM

Thanks.

So, these pendants?

it is a charley jordan song, its amazing there are 2 different versions
heres some lyrics...dunno if they are exact...cheers

Keep It Clean
Charley Jordan

I went to the river, couldn't get across
I jumped on your papa ícause I thought he was a horse, now
Roll him over, give him a Coca-Cola
Lemon soda, saucer of ice cream
Takes soap and water for to keep it clean.

Up she jumped, down she fell
Her mouth flew open like a mussel shell, now

Your sister was a tabby, your daddy was a bear
Put a muzzle on your mama ícause she had bad hair, now

If you want to hear that elephant laugh
Take him down to the river and wash his yas-yas-yas, now

If you want to go to heaven when you D-I-E
You got to put on your collar and your T-I-E, now

If you want to get the rabbits out of the L-O-G
You got to pull on the stump like a D-O-G, now

Run here doctor, run here fast
See what's the matter with his yas-yas-yas, now

#47 Dillinger1934

Dillinger1934

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:30 PM

http://littleroom.wh...p...870&st=1980

Cheers.

And thanks, Bitch.

#48 Lombo

Lombo

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:55 PM

anybody got the setlist down yet? I don't have the greatest memory but i'd like to see it.

#49 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:53 PM

Here are a few more shitty pictures. I just couldn't figure out a good setting for the camera. What's a good setting to use? You obviously can't use the flash. How do these confounded machines work?!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#50 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,042 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:59 PM

It looks like Jack is kissing his reflection in that second picture.

#51 AstroAvery

AstroAvery

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:02 AM

Here are a few more shitty pictures. I just couldn't figure out a good setting for the camera. What's a good setting to use? You obviously can't use the flash. How do these confounded machines work?!

ha thats exactly how i feel about cameras now its all wierd and so many buttons!

it does look like jacks kissing his reflections

#52 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:45 AM

Some reviews:

The Detroit News

Raconteurs heavy on rock in Jack White's return to Detroit

Jack White has made no secrets about his feelings for Detroit -- he most recently compared the city to an "iron-maiden sort of torture device" in the pages of Rolling Stone -- but he shied away from further bad-mouthing the city during the Raconteurs' sold-out show Saturday at the Fillmore Detroit, the first of a two-night-stand.

The concert marked the band's first Detroit outing, and the first show White has played in his hometown since his triple-header with the White Stripes at the Masonic Temple in the fall of 2005. (For those shows, his openers included Brendan Benson and the Greenhornes, who make up his co-conspirators in the Raconteurs.)

And while Saturday's concert was short on niceties and personal asides -- White made only a quick, seemingly freestyle reference to Detroit during a version of 1930s St. Louis blues artist Charley Jordan's "Keep It Clean" -- the 90-minute show was heavy on rock, from the blues to Southern rock to psychedelic '70s riffage.

The Raconteurs drew heavily from their second album, March's "Consolers of the Lonely," which made up nearly three-quarters of the 16-song set list. The band opened with "Consoler of the Lonely," and White was all business as he took the stage, with a determined, no-nonsense gleam in his eye.

The band is set up as a democracy between White and Benson, but it clearly takes its cues from White, who spent much of his time with his back turned to the crowd and glaring into a mirror set up near the back of the stage, next to Patrick Keeler's drum kit. Vocals are split roughly 50-50 between White, who was beefy in a tight black T, and Benson, who wore a plain white T-shirt and sported a mock sheriff's badge on his guitar strap.

The "Consolers of the Lonely" material was muscular and exacting and came alive on stage in ways it doesn't on record.

White sat down behind the keyboard for a riveting "You Don't Understand Me," and Benson and White nimbly shared the spotlight during "The Switch and the Spur" -- its mariachi overtones underplayed without the presence of live horns -- and the band's spirited cover of Terry Reid's "Rich Kid Blues."

But it was during the material from its debut alum, 2006's "Broken Boy Soldiers," that the band really explored its sound. The songs were opened up, dissected, re-evaluated and reinvented, with the normally poppy "Intimate Secretary" being given a propulsive low-end grind, "Steady, As She Goes" becoming a rock-em, sock-em crowd-pleaser complete with sing-along chants, and "Blue Veins" turning into a 10-minute-plus outer space epic.

White offered no shortage of virtuosic guitar shredding, and his flare for the dramatic helped give closer "Carolina Drama" a feel of grandiosity. (As it ended, the stage's backdrop lifted to reveal a gigantic old-timey R, the band's logo.)

The crowd roared with approval as the band took its final bow for the evening, and at least for the time being, a torture device never seemed quite so inviting.

(Text: Adam Graham)

#53 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:49 AM

Detroit Free Press

Raconteurs bring it on home ó at least for a night

We're still going to call it a Detroit rock show.

Nashville may claim Jack White and Brendan Benson these days, but for 2,900 fans at a comfortably crowded Fillmore Detroit, on hand for the first in a two-show stand by the Raconteurs, this was a Saturday night made for local pride.

The Fillmore show was a long-awaited, much-anticipated return for twin guitar-vocalists White and Benson, who had split for Southern climes by the time of the bandís debut record in 2006 ó and who didnít include Detroit on the Raconteurs' subsequent tour itinerary. If there was homecoming pressure, it didn't show. On a night when the romance came built in, the band was all business as it went about a crisply paced 90-minute set that kept the focus trained on the musical performance.

The Raconteurs offer an updated, freewheeling spin on vintage rock styles, and Saturday night found the band indulging gleefully ó a show where a wiry old-school blues cover ("Keep it Clean") could follow the artsy, epic "The Switch and Spur" and segue into the stoner simmer of "Intimate Secretary."

White, now sporting a modified mop top, and Benson, with a 'do in the mold of '69-era Daltrey, had commanded center stage as they traded vocals and guitar licks on the opening "Consoler of the Lonely," the (near) title track from the band's recent second album. A diverse Fillmore audience revved up as the band did, through the crunching power chords of "Hold Up" and an affectionate early nod to the group's first record with "Level."

Onstage, the cultured songcraft of the Raconteurs' records gives way to a more combustible, open-ended musical attack. White doesn't get quite the degree of free rein he enjoys in the White Stripes ó indeed, the whole project sometimes seems meant as a challenge to work within new strictures. But he finds ways to make it ascendant nonetheless.

Saturday night, it wasn't simply the explosive freakout soloing that lined cathartic numbers like "Blue Veins"; it was the subtle frills and flourishes casually folded into most of the night's songs, the little lightning-bolt riffs tossed in to play counterpoint to Benson's more plainspoken playing. At 32, White is more intuitive than ever, the guitar now the proverbial extension of his body as he coaxes, teases and wrings his sounds from it.

For all the Raconteurs' ramped-up intensity, this was a more shapely, chiseled performance than the bandís show at Ann Arbor's Michigan Theater two years ago, the music's edges and corners now more discernible despite a harsh midrange in the former State Theatre. Songs such as "You Don't Understand Me," with White at electric piano, and the Benson-led "Old Enough" were straight-lined and lucid, while "Steady, As She Goes" sounded every bit the infectious hit single it was. A jaunty "Top Yourself" found Benson's twitchy slide guitar meeting some fine blues-rock shouting from White.

Playing their standard roles were charismatic drummer Patrick Keeler and tidy bassist Jack Lawrence, who lent an extra layer to the vocal harmonies and helped provide a sturdy platform for the fireworks displays on top.

Tickets remain for tonight's Fillmore show, part of a final week of U.S. shows before the group heads overseas for a run of dates in continental Europe.

(Text: Brian McCollum)

#54 Guest_MarkExploder_*

Guest_MarkExploder_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:23 AM

Was it just me or did Jack seem about ready to break into tears at the end when they were all standing there in front of the audience? I mean, he literally looked like he was gonna cry.

#55 Guest_pleasantly_frazzled_*

Guest_pleasantly_frazzled_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:38 AM

That's just how his face looks.

Your pictures on flickr are incredible :). Are you a professional or hobby?

Thanks for sharing!

Just a hobby, all of those photos turned out well by some crazy stroke of luck...haha. But thanks. :)

#56 DrHomeboy

DrHomeboy

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

That's just how his face looks.

:lol:

#57 Lily

Lily

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the pictures Haley and Tim! I'm glad Tim took one of the knight. I liked the knights.

I had a fun time hanging out with everyone and being up front. I'd never been up that close for a big show before, so that was pretty neat. I got to see the Black Lips for the first time too, and they were really cool, although I'm aware I didn't quite get the full Black Lips experience in a bigger venue like the Fillmore. The Raconteurs set was good, but I agree with Haley that it wasn't 100%. It seemed like Jack was the only one who was really into it, and his enthusiasm even seemed a little forced now and again. I dunno, something was a little off. They still sounded fantastic though, and I enjoyed the show a lot. My favorite song was definitely Keep It Clean. Everyone sort of woke up for that song, and Jack said a lot of stuff to the crowd during it, including something about Detroit women.

The worst part of the evening was when I left my Mexican Village leftovers in the backseat of my car over night. :(

#58 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,207 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:16 PM

so did selke give the boys the pendants?

#59 Ashley does the ASTR0

Ashley does the ASTR0

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:39 PM

oh....ashley still wont talk to me. it makes me cry.

are you talking about me? hahaha
if you are, sorry.
i never knew it effected you so much. :P

It seemed like Jack was the only one who was really into it

I KNOW RIGHT?! brendan looked totally dead when we were standing in front of him, sorry to say.

but anyway, even though they were both awesome, I thought sunday was a better show. it was insane when meg came on stage, everyone was freaking out. the energy seemed to be better and they played like 15-20 minutes longer. also, I thought it was cute when jack said the thing like "we really appreciate that we have you as fans in detroit. it means a lot to the band and me personally in my heart that you guys buy our records and come out to see us." it seemed sincere and more personal than what was said at saturday's show.

Edited by Ashley does the ASTR0, 09 June 2008 - 08:41 PM.

#60 Lily

Lily

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:09 PM

Also, I think this was the setlist, although it isn't in the right order at all:

Consoler of the Lonely
You Don't Understand Me
Hold Up
Old Enough
The Switch and the Spur
Salute Your Salution
Top Yourself
Many Shades of Black
Attention
Rich Kid Blues
Carolina Drama
Keep It Clean