242 replies to this topic

#61 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:51 PM

It's great that they're doing a blood drive for tickets, but the first Devil's Night was a terrible experience and they'd probably have to pay me to get me to go back.

Edited for autocorrect fail.

I didn't know you went to Devil's Night. What went wrong?

#62 Day Tripper

Day Tripper

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:51 PM

Edited by Day Tripper, 12 February 2019 - 04:07 PM.

#63 Dillinger1934

Dillinger1934

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:51 AM

I can understand the Vault/TMR fanboy crowd being hugely irritating, this is why I assume pretty much all the crowds at these things end up being lame, but i don't really see the issue with drunk people? Especially for a band like The Greenhornes, people are going to want to cut loose and have a fun time. I don't think having beer spilt at a gig like that is a big deal either, a rock n roll show where everyone is tee total or not moving enough to see a few drinks spilt sounds like a boring experience. And I am absolutely not one of those assholes that thinks a gig is an excuse to get absolutely trashed and "mosh" or whatever.

#64 Ak1nney

Ak1nney

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

Olivia is officially opening for multiple September dates of Jack's tour.

#65 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:06 PM

Ha I was right.

#66 ymagirl

ymagirl

Icky Thump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:46 PM

really glad 'my' show was in August

#67 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

Good for Olivia for proving she can make it on her own. Oh wait.

#68 Jamilia

Jamilia

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

I think it's awesome that they are doing a blood drive at TMR. It's a great cause and they are giving tickets out! I would have probably donated a kidney to see a White Stripes show.

#69 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:32 PM

Good for Olivia for proving she can make it on her own. Oh wait.

can you blame her, though? honestly, the only thing olivia needs to prove is that she's making music that she is satisfied with....whether she has jack in her corner or not. but as long as he is, why not use it? the music is the only thing that matters and she doesn't have to prove anything to anyone other than herself.

#70 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,714 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:42 AM

I was all set to just ignore this record. And when I really think about it, my problem is not with Olivia Jean. I saw the Black Belles when they opened for Jack at Webster Hall and they didn't impress me. The witchy shtick struck me as hokey, and Olivia's voice and stage presence turned me off. That's fine, not everyone likes everything, and I would have been perfectly happy to just acknowledge her and move on, just as I've done with Transit, ICP, Jeff the Brotherhood, and several of the other musicians that TMR has introduced me to. It's great that Olivia is satisfied with the music she makes, and it's fine for both me and her if I don't like that music and instead look for other things to listen to. 

At this point, my problem is with Jack and Third Man. With every other musician they've promoted, it's been "Hey, I/we think this is really great! What do you think?"   But the way they're selling Olivia leaves a bad taste in my mouth. "She's our favorite chanteuse, she plays every instrument, she's a member of the Third Man family, you have to love her as much as we do!!"  No, I don't.  Just put her album out, put her on the road, let her earn some cred, and let me decide for myself whether she's worth my attention or not. Don't shove her down my throat with promo videos and Halloween release parties and an opening gig on Jack's tour because all that forceful hype just makes me question the motives of everyone involved. I don't want to lose respect for Jack over this. The ICP record didn't bother me beyond a mild annoyance. And I was one of the few people (possibly the only one) who defended him after the Radio City show that was cut short.  But this... this whole thing disappoints me because it feels as if he's expecting us all to jump on the Olivia Jean bandwagon just because he says we should.  As infatuated as I am with him and his music and as grateful as I am for all the wonderful musicians he's turned me on to, I'm not so sycophantically obsessed that I can get into something just because a bunch of posts in the Vault tell me to. I still want to be able to decide for myself whether the music he and Third Man are promoting appeals to me or not.

Hanging on the rail for him through five of her sets next week is going to be a struggle for me. But that's what Jack's all about, right? The struggle. Hours in line aren't enough, he's gonna really make me work for it at those shows.

#71 Joie

Joie

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:00 AM

^^ditto. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it strange the way they're hyping her up. I hope she lives up to it.

#72 bbug

bbug

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:52 AM

You can't really fault them for promoting one of their artists though can you?  I mean, she has a record coming out and they're in the business of selling records.  I don't think promoting her is the same as pushing her on us, you can still chose to ignore and check out the next thing that comes along.  It's not like anyone said "All vault subscriptions will be rescinded without notice if we do not receive your order for OJ's record by noon September 30th." 

Edited by bbug, 11 September 2014 - 08:53 AM.

#73 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,714 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

As with anything else, different people are going to interpret things differently and all I can express are my own impressions and opinions.  But as others have pointed out, TMR has not put this much into the promotion of other musicians on the roster. There's just something about the amount of hype and the way things have been worded about this release that strikes me very differently.  Maybe it's an inherent contrariness on my part, but when someone makes me feel that I should like something just because they want me to, because they think it's fabulous and they just won't stop making a big deal out of it to me, it can turn me off from something that I was originally neutral about. And that's what I'm experiencing here. 

Actually, I take it back, they have promoted other artists similarly-- In talking with someone else just now, I was reminded of the Kelly Stoltz push. I felt similarly about that, so much hype and tweets and such about music that just didn't grab me.  But it was limited enough that I was able to ignore it and focus on other stuff coming out at the same time.  This promotion is taking that several steps further, and there's nothing else coming out at the same time to balance it out.  So it's even more in our faces.  Some of us don't mind that, but others of us do.

Edited by Kali Durga, 11 September 2014 - 09:49 AM.

#74 kristi309

kristi309

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

Something I have to keep reminding myself is this is also a Jack produced LP, not just an album TMR is distributing, so I think that also can account for some of the heavy promotion. 

#75 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,714 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

That does make sense, he's personally invested in it because of that and it is to some degree a reflection on him if it's successful or not.  Good point.

#76 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

He has produced the majority of the albums on Third Man though.

#77 outlaw

outlaw

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

I was all set to just ignore this record. And when I really think about it, my problem is not with Olivia Jean. I saw the Black Belles when they opened for Jack at Webster Hall and they didn't impress me. The witchy shtick struck me as hokey, and Olivia's voice and stage presence turned me off. That's fine, not everyone likes everything, and I would have been perfectly happy to just acknowledge her and move on, just as I've done with Transit, ICP, Jeff the Brotherhood, and several of the other musicians that TMR has introduced me to. It's great that Olivia is satisfied with the music she makes, and it's fine for both me and her if I don't like that music and instead look for other things to listen to. 

At this point, my problem is with Jack and Third Man. With every other musician they've promoted, it's been "Hey, I/we think this is really great! What do you think?"   But the way they're selling Olivia leaves a bad taste in my mouth. "She's our favorite chanteuse, she plays every instrument, she's a member of the Third Man family, you have to love her as much as we do!!"  No, I don't.  Just put her album out, put her on the road, let her earn some cred, and let me decide for myself whether she's worth my attention or not. Don't shove her down my throat with promo videos and Halloween release parties and an opening gig on Jack's tour because all that forceful hype just makes me question the motives of everyone involved. I don't want to lose respect for Jack over this. The ICP record didn't bother me beyond a mild annoyance. And I was one of the few people (possibly the only one) who defended him after the Radio City show that was cut short.  But this... this whole thing disappoints me because it feels as if he's expecting us all to jump on the Olivia Jean bandwagon just because he says we should.  As infatuated as I am with him and his music and as grateful as I am for all the wonderful musicians he's turned me on to, I'm not so sycophantically obsessed that I can get into something just because a bunch of posts in the Vault tell me to. I still want to be able to decide for myself whether the music he and Third Man are promoting appeals to me or not.

Hanging on the rail for him through five of her sets next week is going to be a struggle for me. But that's what Jack's all about, right? The struggle. Hours in line aren't enough, he's gonna really make me work for it at those shows.

I totally get your point but I find it hard to believe - and if I remember correctly somebody already said something like this earlier in this thread - that the video and in extension Olivia are to be taken seriously. For me it all seems very tongue in cheek and like just another escalation of Jack's love for gimmicks.

But maybe I just tell this myself to somehow make sense of the Olivia-hype.

#78 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:05 PM

Well, Kali, you can put some earplugs in and text the entire time during Olivia's sets.  ;)

Edited by J.C., 11 September 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#79 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:07 PM

if it's tongue-in-cheek, great job.

but I didn't feel that.

I hope she exceeds expectations. I hope her work transcends the blood, sweat and jeers.

#80 ymagirl

ymagirl

Icky Thump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

I didn't get 'tounge in cheek' and was rather dismayed to see some prominent artists I actually do respect 'hyping' her up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users