worst announcement since Whole Foods

#22 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

Wonder if she will open for Jack later in the year.

#23 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:46 AM

I'd bet on that

#24 outlaw

outlaw

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:43 AM

Wonder if she will open for Jack later in the year.

But you mean like as supporting act, right?

(Sorry, bad and gossipy joke, I'll show myself out.) 

#25 Dillinger1934

Dillinger1934

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

The video really achieved the complete opposite of what it was intended to, I think: Really made her look like a Third Man "project" rather than an independent artist. Which is fair enough I guess, because that's exactly what she is as far as I can tell.

I actually enjoyed the first Black Belles single quite a lot, but the album was very boring and disappointing. "Garage rock" for people who like the idea, but not the sound, of it.

#26 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

Yeah it may have been more effective if they had used people who don't work for Third Man to vouch for her.

#27 DougieZero

DougieZero

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

After thinking about this, I don't see a problem with her being a legitimate TMR pet project.

Lana Del Rey and others were established muscians created from thin air.

This girl at least (is claimed) to play all instruments and is a songwriter. If this was baseball, she was was placed on a minor league team for awhile and now is getting a chance to play. The Black Belles is a joke. It was a music art projected constructed by Jack White. He actually hired models to portray the Black Belles. I don't think people even realize that all the members besides the drummer have been replaced. I thought it was cool.

The one thing I'll say, and it's going to annoy people. She isn't there based on talent, but how she looks... All of the female Third Man artists' photograph well and are incredibly attractive. It's a fetish thing.... the boys pick the talent and the 45's that get stocked.

Jeff the Brotherhood (who likely smell like a trucker's seat) vs. waif girls wearing little dresses and holding acoustic guitars.

Edited by DougieZero, 23 August 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#28 Action Boy!

Action Boy!

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

The one thing I'll say, and it's going to annoy people. She isn't there based on talent, but how she looks... All of the female Third Man artists' photograph well and are incredibly attractive. It's a fetish thing.... the boys pick the talent and the 45's that get stocked.

Jeff the Brotherhood (who likely smell like a trucker's seat) vs. waif girls wearing little dresses and holding acoustic guitars.

i think thats bullshit. if that were true then she wouldnt have played on all sorts of other TMR albums where she wasnt even visible other than her name being credited in the fine print.  she's clearly a capable enough musician and writer. being good looking certainly doesn't hurt, and im sure does play to some degree, but if she wasnt talented enough to fulfill her role as a musician then she wouldn't be there no matter how good looking she is.  as if jack would need to trade a record contract to get laid :rolleyes:

#29 Renfield

Renfield

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

^ Agreed, I was going to post something to that effect but you've said it better than I ever could.

#30 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

But you mean like as supporting act, right?

(Sorry, bad and gossipy joke, I'll show myself out.)

Haha. I debated on using the word "open" thinking someone would take it exactly the same way you did.

Those clips sound an awful lot like some songs from Lazaretto to me.

#31 bluesy

bluesy

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 389 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

you know, i've come across a lot of Tumblr/blog commenters who are up in arms over this, and i'm not quite sure as to why. yes, the promotional video is kind of uncomfortable because it's glaringly clear that Jack & co. are out to prove that Olivia Jean is talented. that makes sense to me, though, because that's always been Jack's m.o. i mean, Meg is a prime example of that. Jack based a whole band around her inexperience, and then made sure everybody knew that she was the most important part of it. Karen Elson's vocals are much more pleasant than Olivia's, but her songwriting is simple and her guitar skills are not exactly superb. so i assume that Jack, as producer, had a hand in building upon the blueprints for her songs by sprucing them up with organ, steel guitar, etc. and even playing drums himself.

#32 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

She seems to me to be minimally talented on a lot of instruments, but then she hasn't been called on to do any virtuoso playing. She's another of Jack's inventions, like "Jack" himself.

#33 Go Go Harlem Baby

Go Go Harlem Baby

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

She seems to me to be minimally talented on a lot of instruments

^This.

Which I should add isn't a problem, everyone starts somewhere with music, and everyone has the ability to get better and grow as a musician. I think what rubs me the wrong way is that TMR/Jack seems to really, really push OJ/the Black Belles more than any other artist they've had. I think this can kind of hinder a fledgling band, because it doesn't really give them an opportunity to pay their dues in smaller scenes and clubs. I think if OJ wants to shirk some criticism, TMR isn't doing her any favors by putting her into the spotlight so much, also, I think the awkward EPK really invites speculation on OJ and Jack's relationship (which I won't speculate on because people seemed to really frown upon that the last time it was brought up...) and makes it seem like a case of special treatment.

For example, why no EPKs for Seasick Steve or Pokey? Both of those I would be much more interested in seeing the behind the scenes of the album than the first release of an artist I don't really care about.

I doubt I'll buy this album, but I'll at least give it a listen if it shows up on something like spotify, and if it's good I might get a vinyl copy, I'm open minded. One of the songs sounded like it had some promise, but in the sense that it had some promise for someone starting out as an opening act in a local scene, not heavily promoted by an incredibly esteemed artist.

that's just my two cents

#34 ymagirl

ymagirl

Icky Thump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:03 AM

^This.

I think what rubs me the wrong way is that TMR/Jack seems to really, really push OJ/the Black Belles more than any other artist they've had.

^^ this

#35 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,713 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

Maybe they don't push those other artists as much because those other artists have gone out and worked their asses off and established themselves through their own blood, sweat, determination, and ambition. That said, I haven't even watched the video about this.

#36 bbug

bbug

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

I like that Jack kind of goes out on a limb with different projects but Olivia Jean / Black Belles doesn't interest me.  I think part of why I like The White Stripes so much is the contrast between Jack and Meg's talents and abilities, and that's not to knock Meg.  They wouldn't have been the same band without her but Jack's creativity and intensity on stage is what really sucked me in.  There is nothing about OJ/BB that pulls me in. 

#37 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

Go Go raises a good point. It's all cool if Jack wants to be Kim Fowley to the Black Belle's Runaways. I think he did more to assert his position on OJ's worth as a musician by using her as a utility player (in the studio on Blue series, Karen Elson and Blunderbuss, as well as touring with Karen and as part of the Wanda and the TMR house band) than with this video imploring us to take her seriously. I think, yes, put her on the road, put her on tour, let the records and performances do the talking. Talking her up only sets her up to have to match the hype.

I've never been particularly one way or another. I like the Belles, I thought they were fun live. I like the records. Not over the moon, but they're alright. I've bought a couple.

one thing that bothers me and this is about as good a place as any to rant. I never liked the Olivia's guitar part on Jack's otherwise jumpy version of I'm Shakin'. I actually hold Jack the producer more accountable for this. It's a lifeless, generic fuzztone. There's no funk, phrasing or attack to it. It might as well have been programmed.

#38 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,713 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

Talking her up only sets her up to have to match the hype.

That's it, right there.

#39 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

A couple of those song clips remind me so much of some Lazaretto songs. That is not going to help her case any.

#40 matthewvh

matthewvh

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

^ "Haunt Me" reminds me of "Alone in My Home"

And this means that there's going to be a Conan performance, right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users