7 replies to this topic

#1 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

I know I champion these guys a bit (sig, for example), so I may as well make a thread for them.

Noticed they got a Jack White comparison in a recent press clipping:
"Loping Alt.Folk/Country gives way to careening Psych Pop with a Glam undercurrent, ’60s Pop heaves a twangy sigh and salutes Beggar’s Banquet and Their Satanic Majesty’s Request as Elliott wails with the unhinged intensity of Jack White and Isaac Brock and TUS conducts the generational orchestra with schizophonic genius.

Clearly TUS cuts everything down to a visceral minimum in the live setting but still manages to capture the vital essence of the righteous, raucous rumble they create in the studio. These United States is us, and we love us like crazy."

(source: http://www.citybeat....ted_states.html)

A couple examples:

Cheers!

Edited by billdore, 28 June 2012 - 12:05 PM.

#2 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

this thread is overdue!

#3 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

^ :P

Nashville tonight--The Basement, 9pm.

#4 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

Why all you JW3 fans aren't drooling over these guys I just don't know; found this review when I was looking around: http://www.nodepress...e-united-states

They've been doing their thing since 2007 and are just now getting comparisons given Jack's recent style. Spread the love, folks! They're on tour now.

Edited by billdore, 25 July 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#5 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

Based on those two videos, they remind me of Spin Doctors. Remember them? The Dylan cover was a whiny abortion, but the other song was merely forgettable. I wish them all the best in their pursuit of hot sex on college campuses.

#6 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

the Spin Doctors!--their debut CD went from multi-platinum to bargain bin in about a year i think. i didn't mind their pop hits, but they were totally out of gas by the time they did two princes on sesame street. unlike the squirrel nut zippers who still were a gas when they did 'put a squid on it'.

#7 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

I had forgotten Spin Doctors were a band--had to look them up even since I couldn't remember their songs. :)

Anyway, here's a live TUS set from 2008 that made me really dig them. I promise not to talk to myself forever in this thread, though, so after this, if Rome burns, so be it. ;)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dtr25q

#8 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:07 PM

Know any good fall songs?  How about one about Johnny Appleseed?  Well, here you go.  Put it on yer fall mix.

"Old John Chapman Takes a Good Long Walk" from the album Crimes

Edited by billdore, 26 October 2016 - 01:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users