25 replies to this topic

#1 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

So... Leonard Cohen... Modern artist with folk sensibilities and complex perception

his work is known in a variety of arts circles by a wide range of generations

i know nothing of his personal choices as lifestyle or opinion relative to politics or social order

at this point i just dont care ... i love and revere his work because he is honest

its my belief that he survived a lifetime of illusion and remained a man of integrity and quality

He has recently been interviewed/published with NPR ... He has released an entire album for free

The NPR feature is called First Listen: Leonard Cohen Old Ideas and its a good read

http://www.npr.org/2...cohen-old-ideas

it has the player you can open to enjoy the release

Here is his site http://www.leonardco...com/us/oldideas

Here is another link at this site which explores his release # Isle of Wight # http://littleroom.wh...en&fromsearch=1

At this point you can do whatever you like with it... im leaving it in the dust like fresh shit

so it goes

Edited by thee radical eclectic, 23 January 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#2 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

Posted Image

obviously Leonard doesnt care much for what people think either

#3 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

don't really like his first records, but over time he showed his expression talent when he started to work with some musicians that have some clue about arranging songs, going to have a listen to the new stuff right now :D
interesting thing is how much his voice has changed after 10 years in Tibet, sounds more like he spent that time studying some local bevarages rather than on meditation really.... :D

#4 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

cohen is a poet. he's not a singer but he went there because he knows how to get laid.

#5 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

actually you are correct in that he is a poet more than he is a singer but his soul sings the visuals of narrative as timing and accentuates the music with its monochromatic flavor to enrich melody better than 90 percent of pop dirge and emo crap combined

i dont fault him is approach to music as the anti-Robert Plant of his era ... he is less of a threat to a singer of half his years that way

#6 Okudzhava

Okudzhava

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

Lenny started another world tour yesterday in Ghent, Belgium. Setlist from the LC forum:

Set 1
Dance me to the end of love
Going home
The Future
Bird on a wire
Everybody knows
Who by fire
Darkness
Amen
Come healing
I can't forget
Different Sides
Anthem

Set 2
Tower of song
Suzanne
Crazy to love you
Heart of no companion
The Gypsy Wife
The Partisan
Democracy
Coming back to you (Webb Sisters)
Alexandra leaving (Sharon Robinson)
I'm your man
Hallelujah
Take this waltz

Encore 1
Marianne
First we take Manhattan

Encore 2
Famous blue raincoat
If it be your will (Webb Sisters)
Closing time

Encore 3
I tried to leave you
Save the last dance for me

Encore 4
Sisters of mercy
Waiting for the miracle

33 songs in total, 3:55 min

Edited by Okudzhava, 14 August 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#7 Okudzhava

Okudzhava

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

80 today, all the best Len

#8 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

wow, here's to you, sir

#9 Okudzhava

Okudzhava

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:33 PM

Gotta love Len.

Leonard Cohen says goodbye to Marianne

Legendary singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen wrote a touching letter to his former muse Marianne Ihlen, who inspired such songs as "So Long, Marianne" and "Bird on the Wire,” days before her death on July 29.

Shortly after learning that Ihlen would soon be passing from leukemia, Cohen penned an emotion goodbye note, her friend Jan Christian Mollestad told the CBC. Mollestad said she was able to read Ihlen the letter before her death.

“Well Marianne it's come to this time when we are really so old and our bodies are falling apart and I think I will follow you very soon. Know that I am so close behind you that if you stretch out your hand, I think you can reach mine," Cohen wrote, according to Mollestad.

"And you know that I've always loved you for your beauty and your wisdom, but I don't need to say anything more about that because you know all about that. But now, I just want to wish you a very good journey. Goodbye old friend. Endless love, see you down the road.'"

Cohen and Ihlen enjoyed a seven-year romance after meeting on the Greek Island in Hydra during the 1960s. In addition to "So Long, Marianne" and "Bird on the Wire,” the Norwegian model also served as the inspiration for his song "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye.”

http://www.billboard...efore-her-death

#10 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:54 PM

Troubling that they'd make the contents known. So long, modicum.

#11 CHEEKY

CHEEKY

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:09 AM

A beautiful soul is Mr. Cohen.

Not sure what is troubling about sharing such a wonderful portrait of love ?

#12 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:25 AM

Maybe we could just watch them fucking. Home movies?

#13 Okudzhava

Okudzhava

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:24 AM

This was posted on Leonard's Facebook page. It was posted on August 2, before Jan Christian Mollestad gave his interview to CBC Radio.

Leonard asked that this letter to him from Jan Christian Mollestad be used in this memorial:

"Dear Leonard
Marianne slept slowly out of this life yesterday evening. Totally at ease, surrounded by close friends.
Your letter came when she still could talk and laugh in full consciousness. When we read it aloud, she smiled as only Marianne can. She lifted her hand, when you said you were right behind, close enough to reach her.

It gave her deep peace of mind that you knew her condition. And your blessing for the journey gave her extra strength. Jan and her friends who saw what this message meant for her, will all thank you in deep gratitude for replying so fast and with such love and compassion.

In her last hour I held her hand and hummed Bird on a Wire, while she was breathing so lightly. And when we left the room, after her soul had flown out of the window for new adventures, we kissed her head and whispered your everlasting words So long, Marianne"

Edited by Okudzhava, 09 August 2016 - 11:26 AM.

#14 CHEEKY

CHEEKY

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:39 AM

Maybe we could just watch them fucking. Home movies?

Do you need a hug or something ? 

:blink:

Thanks for sharing that Okudzhava !!! 

#15 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:50 PM

No. I just think that "fans" don't need to know every fucking thing. I should have thought that a last thoughts to a dying friend might remain private. A modicum of decorum. JUST MY OPINION.

Also, I find it fucking sad that they would hum "Bird on a Wire" to a dying woman 50 years after they broke up. What did she do for 50 years? Did she never love agsin? SAD.

Edited by lindapoirier, 09 August 2016 - 09:59 PM.

#16 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,096 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:40 AM

This was posted on Leonard's Facebook page. It was posted on August 2, before Jan Christian Mollestad gave his interview to CBC Radio.

Leonard asked that this letter to him from Jan Christian Mollestad be used in this memorial:

"Dear Leonard
Marianne slept slowly out of this life yesterday evening. Totally at ease, surrounded by close friends.
Your letter came when she still could talk and laugh in full consciousness. When we read it aloud, she smiled as only Marianne can. She lifted her hand, when you said you were right behind, close enough to reach her.
It gave her deep peace of mind that you knew her condition. And your blessing for the journey gave her extra strength. Jan and her friends who saw what this message meant for her, will all thank you in deep gratitude for replying so fast and with such love and compassion.
In her last hour I held her hand and hummed Bird on a Wire, while she was breathing so lightly. And when we left the room, after her soul had flown out of the window for new adventures, we kissed her head and whispered your everlasting words So long, Marianne"

JESUS!!!! This made me cry. On a freak'in Saturday morning, and I'm crying :o.

But I am grateful that I can. Words can be so strong and beautiful. What an incredibly moving letter. If only I could be that lucky to have touched someone in that way.

#17 CHEEKY

CHEEKY

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:21 PM

http://www.npr.org/2...-want-it-darker

http://www.rollingst...lelujah-w444773

#18 Okudzhava

Okudzhava

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:54 PM

Sigh... http://www.rollingst...d-at-82-w449792

#19 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:56 AM

:(

#20 Okudzhava

Okudzhava

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

I thank God on my knees that I got to see Len in Belgrade 2009... 210 minutes, my longest concert ever. I had to bite my lips in order to hold back the tears during "Hey, that's no way to say goodbye".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users