513 replies to this topic

#41 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,795 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

This week was the 45th anniversary of the first time I saw Dylan, Bob, at the Albert Hall. Remember it like it was yesterday, I've even still got my school exercise book with all the days crossed off. :) I've been listening to the tapes of that show (which actually turned out to be of the Manchester show, but what the hell) in its honor.

#42 steadyasshegoes

steadyasshegoes

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:02 AM

I've decided recently to look into Bob Dylan's music. Before a week ago i only knew about 8 of his songs, all of which were his "hits." I purchased "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan", and it's pretty good, though I've had to listen to it about 15 times for it to start to sink in. I looked up his discography and he's got a HUGE catalog of albums. My question to you experts out there is: are all of his albums essential, must owns, or should I be selective about what I pick up? Suggestions?

#43 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:35 AM

Just get "Blonde On Blonde." Take them one at a time. Stick to 60's and 70's stuff for now. Don't get overwhelmed. There's a hell of a lot of albums and they're not going anywhere.

#44 JackFlash

JackFlash

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

Get Knocked Out Loaded. Once you hear the children's choir on "They Killed Him," you will be a Dylanite for life.

#45 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:16 AM

put the dylan down. back away quickly. as fast as you can carry yourself. you will thank me, in the end. no really. go now and buy some lady gaga.

#46 CHEEKY

CHEEKY

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:49 AM

another one is getting sucked in B)

#47 Melon

Melon

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:59 AM

hmm i think depends on what is your favorite kind of music. there's a few that really got me hooked all for different reasons:

Blonde On Blonde - That classic thin mercury sound
Blood On The Tracks - Highlights the lyricist in a peak showing through and through
Bootleg Series Vol. 4 - Second half is, i think, some of his most rock n' roll sounding stuff around.
Nashville Skyline - Mellow kind of country? (i wouldn't know i haven't gotten into much country) but this record is solid nasaly vocals and all, & seems like a fourth kind of style.

When i first started i picked up a kind of album from each style/place in his career and from that decided wich ones i'd pick up next.

also Love & Theft/Time Out Of Mind are both good starters in terms of albums in the last 20ish years.

#48 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,795 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

I'd skip Nashville Skyline and add Highway 61 Revisited, mahself. Also Freewheelin', which got me into Dylan in the first place. God I'm old.

#49 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:42 PM

i am the only person in the world who loves another side of bob dylan. all i reeeeeeally wanna do, is babee bee friends with you.

#50 Aquamarine

Aquamarine

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,795 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

No you're not, I love it too--thought maybe I love a different side.

#51 rat

rat

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:08 AM

Get Knocked Out Loaded. Once you hear the children's choir on "They Killed Him," you will be a Dylanite for life.

This may be the only instance of Bob covering a modern tune. Kris Kristofferson's original came out in 1986 and so did Bob's version. That tune's a ripper.

#52 Dillinger1934

Dillinger1934

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:30 AM

I might enjoy "Love And Theft" more than any of his other albums, that album deserves more praise.

#53 gibsona07

gibsona07

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:08 AM

I might enjoy "Love And Theft" more than any of his other albums, that album deserves more praise.

Exactly. Terrific album. It seems to embody the spirit of the late 60s roots revival, early 20th century folklore, the whole sort of garage revival of the 2000s and the great live sound of Bob's band at the time. You've gotta check this out if you haven't already.

#54 mylittlecreamsoda

mylittlecreamsoda

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

freewheelin' was the one that got me interested, but blonde on blonde, highway 61, and john wesley harding are the ones that got me hooked for good.

*edit: the times they are a-changin got a lot of plays early on i guess too, and so did desire.

Edited by mylittlecreamsoda, 03 June 2011 - 03:30 PM.

#55 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

bob dylan is an asshole.

#56 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

bob dylan is an asshole.

so? that makes me a butt plug. is it rolling bob?

#57 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:45 PM

to be alone with you... at the end of the day... with only you in view... while evening slips away

It only goes to show that while life's pleasures be few...

The only one I know ...Is when I'm alone with you

I'll always thank the Lord... When my working day's through ... I get my sweet reward

...To be alone with you

#58 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:20 AM

so? that makes me a butt plug. is it rolling bob?

thanks. i had managed to live my life, up until this point, without the knowledge of a object known as a butt plug. and then, i had to wiki it and omg!! i was thinking like a sink plug but those fuckers are huge!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butt_plug

i could have lived my whole without knowing that they, "have a flared end to prevent the device from being lost inside the rectum."

i hope you are happy.

#59 thee radical eclectic

thee radical eclectic

White Blood Cells

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:14 AM

happy??? wow... now we have the joy of the link and a further emission of effluent from off-topic craP that could be wandering harmlessly around in private mail dialogue were it not for the exhibitionist tendencies of the wonderous wanderlust in our little room family...

here ... get happy and stay happy

Anal jewelry is a type of butt plug where the bulbous end is inserted into the anus and the end that remains outside of the body is decorated. Most anal jewelry pieces are made of stainless steel and typically have some kind of gem or ornate sculpture on the area that is to be worn outside of the body. These stainless steel pieces are also designed to be worn for an extended amount of time; although they provide a feeling of fullness in the anus, they are more for show than for pleasure. wiki funk

its my hope that we will return this thread to the good and great lyriccal quality of bob dylan

#60 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:16 AM

This topic is hotter than a crotch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users