#41 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,499 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

thats awesome,

I've downloaded and organized everything from that site....if you need me to upload it in a nice easy to use format I can. Lemme know.

that would be swell. i love you!!!

oh! i just got an email from ups. my package is in and they want me to pick it up asap because they are overflowing!!! hahahaa, i will go get it tomorrow. wow, that was fast. ordered sunday and it arrived today.

edit for patty oh! i have edison records but they will not play at 78. i think they play at 79 or 80 or some slightly different speed. they are real cock though. thick and etched with edison's mug.

edit again. patty oh, you must keep us abreast of the pokey 78, i would love to get it. i love that bricklayer.

Edited by lindapoirier, 21 December 2010 - 08:58 PM.

#42 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:18 AM

:wub: I love that song!

me too!

This ain't no jam, the jam can scram

who says i don't pay attention to lyrics?

oh yeah, me.

#43 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,499 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:09 PM

yeah, i got two boxes. jealous?! i figure i might as well spend over $200 to get free shipping. the border guard asked me what i got and i said 78 records sleeves. he asked if that was all and i answered yes. he told me to have a good day. HA!!! i will. i will have a GREAT day. i already put some 78s into their new homes. they are so happy that they are all playing on there own. it's really quite loud and confusing in my kitchen but it's a happy buzz. ahhahahahahahaaaaaa!

record reorganization continues. i paid $3.25 at the border twice and $5 at the ups store. that is $11.50 instead of $69 or whatever insane amount if was to ship to canada. plus customs who have probably stopped them and added duty. in this case, LINDA BEAT THE MAN!!!

Posted Image

Edited by lindapoirier, 22 December 2010 - 03:10 PM.

#44 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:10 PM

linda you are eccentric!

#45 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,499 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:39 PM

oh pat!!! i yam!!!! most of the afternoon yesterday, i pulled out my ole 78s and gave them new homes. i still have a few stacks to relocate but here is a photo of the disorganization. it was such joyful work that i have tears in my eyes thinking about it. i have a whole stack of 78s i put aside to listen to again. i've missed some of these records and i am so glad to give them shelter from the storm.

that's my edison cylinder player. i just love the horn (haha, hahaHA!)

Posted Image

i am almost done one box of sleeves. oops!

edit. i am going to find a mighty fine shelving unit, in the new year, to store these properly.

Edited by lindapoirier, 24 December 2010 - 12:42 PM.

#46 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

yes they want to be vertical. there's a weight/gravity drama going on there.

omg in exile! you win. you have an edison cylinder player! do you have any cylinders? does it play cassettes too?

#47 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,393 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:24 PM

Linda, when can I move in?

#48 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:13 PM

Oh, me too! Do you have room for Tim and me?

#49 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,499 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:00 PM

oh we can have one fucking big party with wheat ale and GOOD music. if you've never heard music coming out the curved wooden speaker of a gramophone then you just haven't lived. it's like music from the heart of an angel.

#50 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,499 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:22 PM

i am not above ironing my old sleeves to disinfect and to give new form.

Posted Image

Posted Image

the graphics on those old children's 78s are awesome!

Posted Image

#51 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,499 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

the other side of that train child's alum and two envelopes for purchase of 78s and i adore that maple leaf sleeve but i don't have a maple leaf pressing. one can always dream?!!!

Posted Image

here is a close up of that one-sided victor album. etched on the reverse... absolutely awesome!!!

Posted Image

#52 Flizzzipper

Flizzzipper

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:05 PM

here is a close up of that one-sided victor album. etched on the reverse... absolutely awesome!!!

Posted Image

Wow!

#53 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:09 PM

Linda, that is a beautiful sight.

#54 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,499 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:39 PM

gosh, i really do have some great 78s. i swear to god, i just would go through 78s and eventually end up taking them all because most people just want to get rid of "these old pieces of junk". sometimes there have been some really great ones in those piles of junk.

Posted Image

that one on the bottom right with the arabic script is from pakistan. i don't have the album but i have the sleeve!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i only have a few stacks left to go through but i'm too tired of going through 78s. i call it quits for today. i have a small box of edison records too. you will love the look of them.

#55 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:17 AM

I am dying because my interneck is kaputz and I can only see these sights of gogeousity weely on my phone. I want to touch them (by the edges) and see them up close in all their colorful glory as I listen to them curlicue out of that curved wooden speaker (pant)

#56 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,499 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:12 PM

wacky, a little bird told me that you are looking for a particular 78 but i can't remember what it was, could you tell me? i'll check to see if i have it and send it to you if i do.

i finished one box of sleeves. wow, that is surprising to me but not disappointing. i did NOT realize i had that many. i just kept them. sometimes people give me all of their 78s. i once got about 200 in one shot because the people were going to throw them in the garbage. sad but true. anyhow, the reorganizing continues. i really need to get a shelving unit for these though. i need space with small spaces so that one shelf may have five or six compartments on one shelf. i figure that is the best way to store them. one of my clients is a cabinet maker and i think that i will ask him to make me a unit.

i have been organizing them by label. it's so funny how the artist doesn't even get a mention on the sleeve. quality and quality king records seemed to have produced some real fine country 78s, decca had some swinging jazz, for sure! bluebird, well, the sun king once told me, "you can't go wrong with anything released on the blue bird label." he was right.

columbia and rca victor/victor (many name variations) produced everything, more or less, mainstream. so it seems.

i may have one or two chess but you just don't get them up here.

mercury is more like a early rock records. mgm was country. with the british connection, i have some interesting british music too. for sure that sleeve from pakistan was an english man's record. i think i have a couple polania records. a few other language recordings, mostly traditional records.

a few novelty records, including two vogue picture records and that harlem globetrotters album.

i was listening to a hank williams 78 yesterday and i had to sit down. he overwhelms me and i want to bow at aunt wilma's feet because she got to meet him. sigh...

#57 sunhouse

sunhouse

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

wacky, a little bird told me that you are looking for a particular 78 but i can't remember what it was, could you tell me? i'll check to see if i have it and send it to you if i do.

glen miller / in the mood. i ain't dug one out yet.

#58 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,499 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:14 PM

okay, i shall look. i have an empty 78 box set album for sure for him, though.

i am coming to a close. i have reached my box sets and colour! some highlights.

Posted Image

some don't even have records (see glenn miller comment) but are too gorgeous to let people throw out. this is probably the best picture sleeve EVER!

Posted Image

and this doesn't have the records either.

Posted Image

some really great children's albums on 78. i love the graphics.

Posted Image

edit. just one more stack in the basement and one small box of edison records.

Edited by lindapoirier, 28 December 2010 - 02:20 PM.

#59 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,499 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:18 PM

here it is wackers, if you want it, not is great shape but not in terrible shape either.

Posted Image

i will check to see if i have the record too. i know that i have glen miller 78s but i have to find them. i've sorted everything into labels and next i have to alphabetize them.

#60 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,499 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

excuse me mr. white but i found this and i have a few questions for you...

Posted Image

just kiddin' puddin'!

Posted Image

it turns out that i have 28 edison records and no way to play them. that is my goal for 2011. to get an edison player.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users